Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 683543 times)

Shalamar

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #900 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »
I once got the "gee, must be NICE" reaction when I landed my dream job as a computer programmer.  Up until that point, I was working as a secretary and getting paid peanuts, so I was very happy and excited.  One of my fellow secretaries was visibly envious and made that comment.   I was tempted to say "Four years of university to get my Bachelor of Computer Science degree, plus two years of job-hunting ... yeah, you're right, that job just fell into my lap."

amylouky

« Reply #901 on: May 16, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »
I generally use the play dumb method with "must be nice" types.

"Gee, must be NICE to be able to go on vacation!" (after we've saved forever for the trip)
Me: "Oh, thank you, it is nice, we're really looking forward to it!"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #902 on: May 16, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
I generally use the play dumb method with "must be nice" types.

"Gee, must be NICE to be able to go on vacation!" (after we've saved forever for the trip)
Me: "Oh, thank you, it is nice, we're really looking forward to it!"

I do too. I have a friend who does this all the time. She works, and makes ok money, but due to poor financial choices and not making any effort to change things she may not be happy with, I frequently am able to do things she would like to do, but can't. She's VERY PA too. I will just say yes, I saved up for a while, and am happy I'm able to do this.

I just bought a new car, well, new to me. Got a great deal on it, and its almost brand new. She commented how it must be nice to be able to afford SUCH a nice car. Um, its nice but not a luxery car. I bought a Camry. But hey, I saved, and did what I ahd to do. and since i bought it a bit sooner than I had anticipated, I will ahve to scale back on some other expenditures for a while

bloo

« Reply #903 on: May 16, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
Btw, thanks to WillyNilly's proddings, I just finished Gavin de Becker's Gift of Fear. It makes so much sense but having read it I zeroed in on this part of your exchange:

Ummm, glad you enjoyed the book, but I doubt it was my proddings, as I have never read it so I can't imagine ever recommending it.

Oops! Could've sworn it was you that mentioned it in at least a couple posts. Sorry. Terrible with handles (names). Whomever mentioned it, thanks! Great read..

poundcake

« Reply #904 on: May 16, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »
Saw this one this morning. People taking advantage of disabled people so they don't have to wait in line at Disneyland.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rich-new-york-mums-use-disabled-to-cut-lines-at-disney-world/story-e6frfq80-1226642610144

That's interesting... at Disneyland (the article is about Disney World), the disabled do *not* get to go to the front of the line. They don't have to wait in the line, but someone in the party does and they are let in when the person in the regular line gets to the front.

Call me a cynic, but I really suspect this is one of those stories that is being blown way out of proportion. One person tells a reporter something, and suddenly it's "Look what aaaaaall of these evil selfish people are doing!" That's not to say it hasn't happened, but I doubt there's some giant ring of secret disabled people for hire by hundreds of filthy-rich jerks.

Miss Misha

« Reply #905 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
We used to get the "fresh meat" guy. A few summers ago, he knocked on the door in the middle of dinner and I answered. He did his spiel (through the screen door) and I told him we weren't interested because we were vegetarians. I then took a big bite of my hot dog and looked him in the eye.
He hasn't been back since.

Somewhat related I haven't had a door to door salesman in a year or so, the last one came to the door, front door open, just the screen door closed, and knocked.  I was sitting at the table 15 feet away, and you could hear my kids playing.  I looked up and said "Nobody's home."

He stood there for a minute and then just lowered his head in a dejected manner and walked away.  How do you argue with the crazy.

I wish the HOA would let me install a screen door just to use one of these!!!  ;D >:D ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #906 on: May 16, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »
Saw this one this morning. People taking advantage of disabled people so they don't have to wait in line at Disneyland.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/rich-new-york-mums-use-disabled-to-cut-lines-at-disney-world/story-e6frfq80-1226642610144

That's interesting... at Disneyland (the article is about Disney World), the disabled do *not* get to go to the front of the line. They don't have to wait in the line, but someone in the party does and they are let in when the person in the regular line gets to the front.

Call me a cynic, but I really suspect this is one of those stories that is being blown way out of proportion. One person tells a reporter something, and suddenly it's "Look what aaaaaall of these evil selfish people are doing!" That's not to say it hasn't happened, but I doubt there's some giant ring of secret disabled people for hire by hundreds of filthy-rich jerks.

Yeah, I got the impression this is one guy in a wheelchair who happened to get hooked up with a "look how rich the 1% are!" group, not a pervasive thing.

dawnfire

« Reply #907 on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
While at the gym I saw a news blip on the TV about a man, age 91, who had given his daughter power of attorney in case his health declined. She used it to transfer his home and lands into her name. She started selling off bits of the land and served her father with an eviction notice to get jim out of the house. He's trying to raise some money to offer to her, to buy the deed back.
Despicable.

CRUD MONKEYS!

I'm wondering that he didn't realize his daughter was this kind of person already - granted, parents do look at their kids with rosy tinted glasses.....but you'd think that he would have seen the red flags a decade or two ago.

(This is VorFemme on her first Linux post.)

http://gma.yahoo.com/91-old-man-raises-money-prevent-eviction-daughter-132430362--abc-news-topstories.html

Wow. Just, wow. That's just nasty.

That is so awful!!

good news on that front. They've raised enough money to buy the place. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/realestate/news/donors-stop-janice-cottrills-plan-to-evict-dad-john-potter-91/story-fni0chbz-1226644874245  The last sentence their spitefulness.

BarensMom

« Reply #908 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
While at the gym I saw a news blip on the TV about a man, age 91, who had given his daughter power of attorney in case his health declined. She used it to transfer his home and lands into her name. She started selling off bits of the land and served her father with an eviction notice to get jim out of the house. He's trying to raise some money to offer to her, to buy the deed back.
Despicable.

CRUD MONKEYS!

I'm wondering that he didn't realize his daughter was this kind of person already - granted, parents do look at their kids with rosy tinted glasses.....but you'd think that he would have seen the red flags a decade or two ago.

(This is VorFemme on her first Linux post.)

http://gma.yahoo.com/91-old-man-raises-money-prevent-eviction-daughter-132430362--abc-news-topstories.html

Wow. Just, wow. That's just nasty.

That is so awful!!

good news on that front. They've raised enough money to buy the place. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/realestate/news/donors-stop-janice-cottrills-plan-to-evict-dad-john-potter-91/story-fni0chbz-1226644874245  The last sentence their spitefulness.

Why aren't these people being prosecuted for elder abuse?  Also, why aren't they being investigated regarding the brother's care?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #909 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:12 PM »
I agree.  I mean, maybe they have a legitimate gripe against the grandfather, and they're having to spend money in court over the custody thing.  Maybe the autistic son *is* better off with them and without the grandfather visiting him.  But?  Using the power of attorney to STEAL the grandfather's property in order to BLACKMAIL him into giving in?  Totally puts them in the wrong on those two accounts, no matter how justified they think they may have been.  That's not how you go about a dispute.

Hillia

« Reply #910 on: May 16, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »
And I hate to be Debby Downer, but just  because he's raised the amount that they told other family members they would sell the house for doesn't mean they'll actually sell it to him.  Just for spite.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #911 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
And I hate to be Debby Downer, but just  because he's raised the amount that they told other family members they would sell the house for doesn't mean they'll actually sell it to him.  Just for spite.

I wondered that too.

Minmom3

« Reply #912 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

The morning of Mom' Day, SIL is not calling BIL, but replies all to the FB message and says "Didn't you guys leave anything for me to get?  Well that is ok.  I will bring mom some flowers from my garden."

::)
Oi, there is not enough eyeroll for this one  ::)

Snicker.  There IS, but it sprains your eyeballs!   ::)    ::)    ::)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #913 on: May 16, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »
One of the articles I read said that she had said, through other family members, that she'd sell him the house if he bought it at that price.  Or something.  Not that she couldn't go back on it, I suppose.

I do hope it's not a big scam worked up between the two of them.

KB

« Reply #914 on: May 16, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
Not that it would be the same, but at least he could use the money to buy something else and thus have a place to live. That would give the daughter and her husband no further advantage over the grandfather.