News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 17, 2017, 03:22:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2014718 times)

Shalamar

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #960 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
My friend had a great way to deal with religious folks who'd show up at her door.  She's not particularly religious, but somehow she still knows her Bible backwards and forewards and upside-down.  So, when Religious Guy quoted something at her, she quoted right back:

RG:  After all, the Bible said (blah blah blah).
Friend:  Yes, but according to Chapter Blah, Verse Yadda, (blah blah blah).
RG:  Huh?  Wait a minute ... *flips through Bible while my friend waits patiently*  Aha!  But it also says (blah blah blah).
Friend:  True.  But if you go to Chapter Blah, Verse Yadda Yadda, you will find (blah blah blah).
RG:  What?!?  Wait ...

After 30 minutes of that, he got so frustrated, he left and never returned.

As for my story - I just got an e-mail from "PayPal" saying that my account has been "limited" because someone tried to sign on to it, and I should log on myself immediately to confirm that everything's okey-dokey.  Just click on this handy link.  Surrre, I'll get right on that.

nuit93

« Reply #961 on: May 22, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
I had a friend that would just invite door-to-door missionaries to come in and play video games.  No preaching, no debating, just "hey, want to take a break?".

The Lunchlady

« Reply #962 on: May 22, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
My in-laws belong to an organization that does door to door proselytizing. I've found that the quickest way to get off any religions door knocking route is to say in a cheerful, breezy voice "oh, I'm an apostate." Their deer in the headlights look that melts into terror as they trip over themselves to get away from the porch is priceless.  >:D 8)
Bringing civilization to the hungry hordes one lunch period at a time

EMuir

« Reply #963 on: May 22, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
The police in my city just issued a warning that you shouldn't buy "real gold" jewelry from people selling it in a parking lot.  Because it will be fake.  And someone fell for it.  Come on people! 

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #964 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
Just ran into one on Craigslist while looking for an apartment. He just moved to West Africa and will be gone for two years. Hes not available to show me the condo, but I can look at it from outside. Its also about $500/month cheaper than the market rate for the area, as far as I can tell (I emailed about it because I thought it might be a temporary sublet justifying the cheaper price).

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #965 on: May 22, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »
My very good friend's husband just fell for an iPad scam on cragislist. Western Union to a third party, it's on its way, there was a small problem, send another $35 for overnight shipping, etc, etc. My friend was absolutely furious. I don't understand how a smart, well educated man could fall for an obvious scam? No one is selling an iPad for $50.

doodlemor

« Reply #966 on: May 22, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »
The police in my city just issued a warning that you shouldn't buy "real gold" jewelry from people selling it in a parking lot.  Because it will be fake.  And someone fell for it.  Come on people!

I've read several times that scammers often appeal to people's greed.  They make the deal soooo-oooo good that the mark thinks that they are getting the best of the scammer. 

tiff019

« Reply #967 on: May 22, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
Just ran into one on Craigslist while looking for an apartment. He just moved to West Africa and will be gone for two years. Hes not available to show me the condo, but I can look at it from outside. Its also about $500/month cheaper than the market rate for the area, as far as I can tell (I emailed about it because I thought it might be a temporary sublet justifying the cheaper price).

I just saw a similar one!! Did you also get the whole life history about his family moving one by one and his father being sick or something like that? I too emailed on the off chance it was legit (but knowing it sounded too good to be true)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #968 on: May 22, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
NPR's Talk of the Nation did a story this afternoon about the Nigerian Prince scam apparently, a form of it has been documented back to the 1800's.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #969 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Oooohh, the Texas AG's Consumer Protection division looks poorly on such behavior...I've dealt with them (as a consumer). Should be some interesting fireworks there.
Just forwarded her the name and website. A complaint will be filed tonight.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #970 on: May 22, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
In my family we have found saying you are Catholic (90% of Canadian Family, 40% US) or Jewish (3 households) generally sends them running - except when
- One group numerous in the US South has decided to save all the Catholics and Jews -(something about it bringing on the end times)

- One group minority in both countries but has a particular hate on for our family (court fight over which religion the children in a custody battle would follow started the feud)  in one small town. They really don't care about saving our souls - they just want to make us as miserable as possible. Banging on the door of a relative on bed rest to save a pregnancy was one tactic they used. To be completely fair - there were people who were on "our side" who used similar tactics against that group - until our family found out and told them to stop making the situation worse for the children.

-Good story Mom told some Mormon missionaries we weren't interested. They were very polite. They were walking their bikes because of a flat. We loaned them our "big pump" to fix their tire. A couple of days later they were in the area and had another flat. Mom looked out saw them, neighbor kids, and us hunched over something. She came out to investigate. We had a tub of water and our patch kit and were finding the pin hole in the tire and fixing it. They didn't talk about religion to us kids at all.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CuriousParty

« Reply #971 on: May 22, 2013, 10:12:16 PM »
Oooohh, the Texas AG's Consumer Protection division looks poorly on such behavior...I've dealt with them (as a consumer). Should be some interesting fireworks there.
Just forwarded her the name and website. A complaint will be filed tonight.

Be sure to update us if something comes of it!

Pen^2

« Reply #972 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
I used to live in a place that had a big problem with people of a certain religion going around and trying to convert people at all hours of the day. I'm talking 7am, 10pm, and so on. You could be leaving for work and walking to your car and they'd try to get between you and your vehicle while telling you about how wonderful the religion they represent is. There were women who would ask politely to use your phone for a moment, and once they were done, would take their time leaving so they could guide the conversation towards converting you. I can see how it sounds like a good idea to someone of that religion if they had absolutely no empathy or regard for other people, but other than that all it seems good for is swearing people off what they're trying to sell.

When it's happened to me and I'm aware they don't take no for an answer, I would pretend I didn't speak any recognisable human language. They'd give me a flier and leave quickly. Contacting their church was useless, since it was the church that was encouraging it all. Then once my husband (who is not white) answered the door and they fled and never returned  ::)

Where I live now, it is thankfully illegal to go around trying to convert people like that. You can have a temple for your religion and make information about it publicly available, but you ahve to wait for them to come to you. You can't go telling people who didn't ask, let alone have organised conversion door knocking going on. For the very first time in my life, I can walk around or even into a place of worship and not feel afraid of being assaulted by underhanded idiots trying to 'save' me.

SheltieMom

« Reply #973 on: May 23, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »
Could we please leave the subject of religious groups? In my opinion, even if I don't believe their particular brand of beliefs, they are not, beggars, moochers or scammers, and at least in their own minds are trying to help the people they talk to. Their methods may be irritating, but I don't think they should be lumped into this category. And when name-calling gets started, we're likely to get this thread locked.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #974 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
Walking home from the shopping district I was stopped by a man in a dark coat, black woolly hat and scruffy jeans who ask me if I wanted to buy some perfume.  ???

I politely declined.
For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing. - Jonah Lehrer