Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 623709 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #960 on: May 22, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
Sis's car died. They went car shopping Saturday. They picked out a new car put down a down payment. It was used they wanted a few things checked out. They were supposed to pick it up today.

I picked up the kids from school. Get a text this isn't going well. When they get home the kids are very disappointed - no new car.

When they got to the dealership the sales person tried to rush them to the financing office. They insisted they test drive the car to see if the maintiance was done. They get in the car - it isn't the same car. Bait and switch. They had driven at 2012 with video system. The car that was written up was a 2011 without one.

Then the sales people tried to tell Sis and BIL they had no choice but to buy the 2011 because of the paper work was written up, they had signed some papers and put down the down payment.

HOnestly I think the sales people thought they were dealing with a couple of 20 somethings frazzled with 2 kids - Sis and BIL easily look late 20's maybe early 30's and they have an 8 and 5 year old (they also have a 20 year old -but she wasn't there).

Sis called their bluff on that. Then they tried to prevent Sis and BIL from leaving with their copies of the paper work. Sis got them to back down So they got to leave with their proof of the attempted fraud. The lawyer will be called tomorrow to see were they should file their official complaints. Reviews will be written and posted ASAP.

I'm taking the kids to Iron man 3 Saturday. Sis and BIL are going to look at some other places for a car.
Oooohh, the Texas AG's Consumer Protection division looks poorly on such behavior...I've dealt with them (as a consumer). Should be some interesting fireworks there.

Oh that's horrible. I just bought a new (used) car. COuldn't have been easier. But I also had checked out the dealer's website, saw exactly what I wanted (Camry on a Chevy lot, returned lease) and went in, drove it, signed the papers, and showed up bearing money on Sat, and drove it home. It didn't hurt my friend's dad works for the leasing co. owned by the owner of the dealership, and this one of HIS leases the dealership bought, so he KNEW it was in awesome shape.  but I read online reviews, and they were all positive. And my friend also told me I got the "family rate" on my extended warranty.

This story is exactly why I am hesitant every time I buy a car.

cwm

« Reply #961 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
My mom accidentally found a way to get off the religious rounds. She was about seven months pregnant and looking every bit of it while living in an area that got religious visitors at least once a month. She was part of an Irish club and was getting ready for their monthly lunch meetings, which for her meant bringing the alcoholic Irish coffees. The doorbell rang as she was getting ready at about 10 in the morning, so she went to open the door. The two poor teenage looking boys looked at her stomach, looked at the whiskey in her hand, looked back at her stomach and said "We won't bother you ma'am." We never got another knock on the door.

A friend's mom was cooking dinner, cutting up vegetables with a huge knife. Religious visitors showed up at her door and she answered it, not even thinking about the giant knife in her hands. She kept a big smile on her face and said that no, she was perfectly happy with her religion, thank you very much. They never came back.

My dad found another way to deal with them. He was on the ground under his car, covered in grease and sweat. These two gentlemen were very well dressed going door-to-door talking religion. My dad gave them a simple response. If they got down with him to work on his car on his one day off so it would work for him and his family, he would give them an equal amount of time listening to their religious spiel. He promised to be respectful about it, but he really needed to get the car working before tomorrow. They never bothered us again.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #962 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
My mom accidentally found a way to get off the religious rounds. She was about seven months pregnant and looking every bit of it while living in an area that got religious visitors at least once a month. She was part of an Irish club and was getting ready for their monthly lunch meetings, which for her meant bringing the alcoholic Irish coffees. The doorbell rang as she was getting ready at about 10 in the morning, so she went to open the door. The two poor teenage looking boys looked at her stomach, looked at the whiskey in her hand, looked back at her stomach and said "We won't bother you ma'am." We never got another knock on the door.

A friend's mom was cooking dinner, cutting up vegetables with a huge knife. Religious visitors showed up at her door and she answered it, not even thinking about the giant knife in her hands. She kept a big smile on her face and said that no, she was perfectly happy with her religion, thank you very much. They never came back.

My dad found another way to deal with them. He was on the ground under his car, covered in grease and sweat. These two gentlemen were very well dressed going door-to-door talking religion. My dad gave them a simple response. If they got down with him to work on his car on his one day off so it would work for him and his family, he would give them an equal amount of time listening to their religious spiel. He promised to be respectful about it, but he really needed to get the car working before tomorrow. They never bothered us again.

I pretended once not to speak English when religious people came to my door, and watched them got frustrated when they were trying to communicate with me and I spouted nonsense words or random English phrases in a bad accent.  They never bothered us again. 

Shalamar

« Reply #963 on: May 22, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
My friend had a great way to deal with religious folks who'd show up at her door.  She's not particularly religious, but somehow she still knows her Bible backwards and forewards and upside-down.  So, when Religious Guy quoted something at her, she quoted right back:

RG:  After all, the Bible said (blah blah blah).
Friend:  Yes, but according to Chapter Blah, Verse Yadda, (blah blah blah).
RG:  Huh?  Wait a minute ... *flips through Bible while my friend waits patiently*  Aha!  But it also says (blah blah blah).
Friend:  True.  But if you go to Chapter Blah, Verse Yadda Yadda, you will find (blah blah blah).
RG:  What?!?  Wait ...

After 30 minutes of that, he got so frustrated, he left and never returned.

As for my story - I just got an e-mail from "PayPal" saying that my account has been "limited" because someone tried to sign on to it, and I should log on myself immediately to confirm that everything's okey-dokey.  Just click on this handy link.  Surrre, I'll get right on that.

nuit93

« Reply #964 on: May 22, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
I had a friend that would just invite door-to-door missionaries to come in and play video games.  No preaching, no debating, just "hey, want to take a break?".

The Lunchlady

« Reply #965 on: May 22, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
My in-laws belong to an organization that does door to door proselytizing. I've found that the quickest way to get off any religions door knocking route is to say in a cheerful, breezy voice "oh, I'm an apostate." Their deer in the headlights look that melts into terror as they trip over themselves to get away from the porch is priceless.  >:D 8)
Bringing civilization to the hungry hordes one lunch period at a time

EMuir

« Reply #966 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
The police in my city just issued a warning that you shouldn't buy "real gold" jewelry from people selling it in a parking lot.  Because it will be fake.  And someone fell for it.  Come on people! 

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #967 on: May 22, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
Just ran into one on Craigslist while looking for an apartment. He just moved to West Africa and will be gone for two years. Heís not available to show me the condo, but I can look at it from outside. Itís also about $500/month cheaper than the market rate for the area, as far as I can tell (I emailed about it because I thought it might be a temporary sublet justifying the cheaper price).

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #968 on: May 22, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
My very good friend's husband just fell for an iPad scam on cragislist. Western Union to a third party, it's on its way, there was a small problem, send another $35 for overnight shipping, etc, etc. My friend was absolutely furious. I don't understand how a smart, well educated man could fall for an obvious scam? No one is selling an iPad for $50.

doodlemor

« Reply #969 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
The police in my city just issued a warning that you shouldn't buy "real gold" jewelry from people selling it in a parking lot.  Because it will be fake.  And someone fell for it.  Come on people!

I've read several times that scammers often appeal to people's greed.  They make the deal soooo-oooo good that the mark thinks that they are getting the best of the scammer. 

tiff019

« Reply #970 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
Just ran into one on Craigslist while looking for an apartment. He just moved to West Africa and will be gone for two years. Heís not available to show me the condo, but I can look at it from outside. Itís also about $500/month cheaper than the market rate for the area, as far as I can tell (I emailed about it because I thought it might be a temporary sublet justifying the cheaper price).

I just saw a similar one!! Did you also get the whole life history about his family moving one by one and his father being sick or something like that? I too emailed on the off chance it was legit (but knowing it sounded too good to be true)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #971 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »
NPR's Talk of the Nation did a story this afternoon about the Nigerian Prince scam apparently, a form of it has been documented back to the 1800's.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #972 on: May 22, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »
Oooohh, the Texas AG's Consumer Protection division looks poorly on such behavior...I've dealt with them (as a consumer). Should be some interesting fireworks there.
Just forwarded her the name and website. A complaint will be filed tonight.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #973 on: May 22, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »
In my family we have found saying you are Catholic (90% of Canadian Family, 40% US) or Jewish (3 households) generally sends them running - except when
- One group numerous in the US South has decided to save all the Catholics and Jews -(something about it bringing on the end times)

- One group minority in both countries but has a particular hate on for our family (court fight over which religion the children in a custody battle would follow started the feud)  in one small town. They really don't care about saving our souls - they just want to make us as miserable as possible. Banging on the door of a relative on bed rest to save a pregnancy was one tactic they used. To be completely fair - there were people who were on "our side" who used similar tactics against that group - until our family found out and told them to stop making the situation worse for the children.

-Good story Mom told some Mormon missionaries we weren't interested. They were very polite. They were walking their bikes because of a flat. We loaned them our "big pump" to fix their tire. A couple of days later they were in the area and had another flat. Mom looked out saw them, neighbor kids, and us hunched over something. She came out to investigate. We had a tub of water and our patch kit and were finding the pin hole in the tire and fixing it. They didn't talk about religion to us kids at all.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

CuriousParty

« Reply #974 on: May 22, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
Just forwarded her the name and website. A complaint will be filed tonight.

Be sure to update us if something comes of it!