Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 661746 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #990 on: May 24, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
I've replied to a few of the pregnancy ones with biology questions, and one actually attempted an answer before giving up.

*laughing hysterically* Good thing I have a private office.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #991 on: May 24, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
The "pregnant ladies" reminded me of this one.

It's a long story, but I managed to hit my neighbor's fence while pulling into my driveway. It put a big dent into the right front of my car, but did nothing to interfere with driving. In the interest of keeping my insurance rates low, I chose not to put in a claim for it or to even have it repaired with my own money.

A few weeks later, I found a note under my windshield. (I park my car in my driveway, not in a garage.) The writer's grandmother's car had been parked nearby and was damaged by a hit & run driver. The writer got samples of paint from the car & a dealer determined that they were form my make, model and color of car. Followed by several sentences of how horrible it was to hit & run a car and how devastated Grandma was. But, if I called him, we could work something out, or else he would call the police.

The first thing I did was call my insurance agent. He told me that this was a known scam--look for a damaged car and maybe it was indeed a hit & run that you could exploit.

For the heck of it, I called the note writer and told him to call my insurance agent and put in a claim. The note writer suggested I relocate myself to a decidedly warmer place.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #992 on: May 24, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
Near my university is a Dunkin Donuts coffee shop with a drive thru lane. During the 7 years I have worked here, I have patronized it a few times a week.

At first, there was a homeless man who would hang out there in the morning. I would occasionally buy him an egg and cheese wrap and small coffee, because he was homeless, and had severe facial deformities that would make it very difficult to pass with the public in any job. I haven't seen him for a while, there is a woman and her dog that has taken the morning shift. If I go there on my lunch hour, there are two different people there then. Today, there were four! All flapping signs at anyone going by.

I feel that homelessness is a serious issue, and I would love to help everyone. We have many social agencies and organizations here that help people recover from addictions, provide counseling, day labor jobs, etc.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #993 on: May 24, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »
I was approached in a mini-mart by a teenaged girl who told me she was running for homecoming queen and would I please donate to her campaign.  Several months later, same mini-mart, same girl, same story.  I said "You must not have won last time, huh?"  She stammered and slunk away. 

Another time, two sorry looking guys were standing outside the mini-mart at an early hour.  One asked if I would buy him a coffee.  I know how I am without my morning coffee, and out of generosity (and a bit of guilt), I bought coffee and breakfast wraps for both guys.  The second guy informed me that he didn't drink coffee and didn't like the mini-mart's food.  He asked for money so he could buy breakfast at the McDonald's across the street.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

chibichan

« Reply #994 on: May 25, 2013, 02:22:56 AM »
I was hanging around outside at a big city bus terminal one evening because my bus didn't leave for another hour .

To pass the time , I watched a guy approach people on the sidewalk and ask for a dime . Most people ignored him , some gave him change and one lady gave him a dollar.

Right after she did , street traffic dried up and the sidewalk was deserted . He milled around for a few minutes , then turned and saw me .

As he advanced  , I cut him off at the pass by telling him " Don't even ask me for a dime . I saw her give you a dollar . "

He slunk off not long afterwards .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

weeblewobble

« Reply #995 on: May 25, 2013, 08:04:56 AM »
Just got "must be niced" about my recent weight loss by a relative, and I will admit, I was not very nice or smart in my response.  I have recently dropped about a significant amount of weight through very careful dieting and working with a trainer.  This is the first time I've tried a specific program to lose weight, and my results - while awesome - were the result of some seriously hard work.  This relative, Callie, has tried every weight loss method under the sun, including supplements that were taken off the market because they were considered too dangerous.  I say "tried" because she would start a program, be super religious about following it for a month or so, and then quit.   So her weight has stayed the same for years.

Callie has made several snide comments when I first started and my weight started to drop about how it's "easy" to lose weight at first, but sticking with a program is so hard that I'd probably give up in a few weeks. And then she'd offer me bread, dessert, butter, etc.

Yesterday, I saw her and another relative at a store.  The relative with her commented on how nice I looked.  Before I could say thank you, Callie said, "It must be nice to lose weight so easily.  Some of us have to work really hard to get results."

I smiled at her and said, "Actually, thinking so much about my meal planning and putting in the hours with my trainer HAVE been really hard work."

Callie volleyed back, "It must be nice to be able to afford a trainer."

AUGH!!  I engaged the crazy. I just can't win.  Next time, I'm just keeping my mouth shut.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #996 on: May 25, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
^^^   "Not really!  I was able to pay him with the money I saved on food!"   ;D

NyaChan

« Reply #997 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
^^^   "Not really!  I was able to pay him with the money I saved on food!"   ;D

LOL  ;D  gramma you just blew my cover - I'm supposed to be studying and now I'm cracking up instead!

Darcy

« Reply #998 on: May 25, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
We don't give to the homeless beggars that live around our local Target. The Target is down the road from the hospital - officers will arrest them for drunk and disorderly, dump them in the ER for detox, and when they're released they'll just walk back down to Target. Any money given to them goes to drugs and alcohol, unfortunately. :-/

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #999 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
This is from Customer's Suck. At first glance, it looks like it belongs in the Impossible Request thread, but it's really a moocher.

What do you MEAN I can't spend money that I don't have ?!.  There are language issues, so I'll paraphrase,, but you really have to read it to get the flavor.

OP works in a bank call center. Customer calls because his debit card had been declined at a restaurant. OP looks him up. The problem is no money in the account. Customer rants. "I really don't see what that has to do anything. Can you hurry up and fix my card, I need to pay for my dinner! I'm standing here waiting!" Says is a long-time important customer. (he isn't). Threatens to cancel account (OP offers to transfer him to cancellation dept). Demands a supervisor (OP is allowed to deny that request as there is no basis for it). Yells to people with him: "Yeah, they've turned off my card for no reason! Yeah, I know, bloody banks! Always out to hassle the hard workers, all they care about is making money!" Finally hangs up.

As other posters commented, the customer probably knew darned well he had no money, but was setting it up to mooch off someone else.
Right, you were not the audience for his questions. He was trying to paint a picture for those who could only hear one side if the conversation:

Evil bank, didn't know who he was, incompetent trainee on phone, couldn't fix the problem, wouldn't transfer to supervisor. Obviously not his fault he can't pay!

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Jones

« Reply #1000 on: May 28, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Today I received an email from the US Department of Justice, that Eric Holder and (United State President) Barrack (sic)Obama have authorized certain wealthy persons (Dave and Angela Dawes, link to news story about lottery winnings included) to use their foundation to assist in paying up foreign debts, racked up by (list of well known scammers here).
At the end I am given Janet Napolitano's personal email address and urged to contact her to receive my filtered settlement funds.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1001 on: May 28, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
After YEARS of hearing about "guys who sell meat from a freezer in the back of their pickup", we finally had a visit from them last year! No, I did not buy any - not interested in meat or seafood that I don't know the history of, and that I can't get a refund on if it turns out to be no good.

Not long before he married my sister, my brother-in-law bought like 90 pounds of meat from a door-to-door salesman. It was all really good, but he didn't have fridge space for it so he had to farm it out to the family fridges.
Words mean things.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #1002 on: May 28, 2013, 01:00:33 PM »
Some friends of mine are being entertained by some thieves/scammers. They had a break in about a year ago at their home - among other things taken was their PS3. They had saved their netflix information on it, and didn't reset the password or anything (honestly, they said they just forgot they'd saved it). The police have yet to recover any of the goods, and it's suspected that they were given/sold to friends of the burglars.

They noticed that their 'suggested' queue was full of bizarre stuff suddenly. Turns out, the current users of their PS3 are USING THEIR (my friends) NETFLIX ACCOUNT. My friends are big fans of indie films and Gordon Ramsey - they're getting recommendations for mostly African American oriented, gangs and s3x and violence, really awful stuff. Things that make Tyler Perry look like Shakespeare. My friends are, incidentally, African American themselves, but the movies these people are watching are such stereotypically trashy things that no one in their house had even heard of most of it, and only when they started looking for the titles 'recently watched' on IMDB did they realize what was being watched.

The police department is very interested in this - and thanks to netflix's customer service folks and a handy subpoena, the gravy train is about to end for some folks. My friends just want their PS3 back - they have saved games they want to play some more!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1003 on: May 28, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Stupid criminals and clever victims! I am glad they are getting caught.

Shalamar

« Reply #1004 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »
Received this today:

Greetings,

If interested please get back to me immediately.I have an urgent business proposal for you, I know that this mail will come to you as a surprise as we never met before,I am Norman Chan from Hong Kong,

I was hesitant to take advantage of this business proposal until he introduced himself.  He MUST be legit.