Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 652562 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1065 on: June 03, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
It would be interesting to know! My guess is tracking software that analyzes where the purchase originates in comparison to other recent purchases. If a purchase originates out of Louisiana on the same day you bought gas in Los Angeles that might send up a flag.

When I went overseas a few years ago to the Philippines, I contacted my credit card company and explained what I was doing. They asked the dates of departure and return and offered to temporarily lower my limit while there (in case I managed to get my card stolen while there). I was still nervous, though, that MC would 'forget' about this and not let a charge go through while I was there. Fortunately I never needed to use my card.

I always call my credit and debit card companies when I travel.  They know I'll be in X country, so anything that shows up from home or YZ country will be flagged for me to check.

My bff always lets her bank know she'll be out of the area or nation when she's about to travel so they won't be concerned when they see debits for stores/restaurants in Maryland show up.  (She's in Iowa)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1066 on: June 04, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »
Just got an email claiming to be from my country's tax authority, saying I'd had a generous amount of money deposited into my account and click on the link below to continue.

Except,
1) it's a month before tax season even starts, so I wouldn't be due any money yet anyway,
2) it's from an email address with ".com" at the end and I've had official emails from the tax authority before, and they always have a different email address, and
3) if there was a deposit "into my account", if they mean my bank account, I would have received a text notification about it, and if they somehow mean I have a tax account with the tax authority, I don't, all money due to or received from the tax authority is either into or out of my bank accound directly, no intermediatary account used.

Nice try.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

heyyoume

« Reply #1067 on: June 04, 2013, 02:25:27 AM »
I got one from a fast food chain this morning which was a first - apparently I had won a tank of gas and $29 guaranteed.   Which wouldn't be so unusual except that I live in New Zealand and we buy petrol or fuel, not gas :)  I have to admit I had to look at it twice as I have a colleagues emails forwarding to me - it came in addressed to him and my first thought was man people get some wierd personal emails coming to their work account... then I clicked.

cwm

« Reply #1068 on: June 04, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
I got one from a fast food chain this morning which was a first - apparently I had won a tank of gas and $29 guaranteed.   Which wouldn't be so unusual except that I live in New Zealand and we buy petrol or fuel, not gas :)  I have to admit I had to look at it twice as I have a colleagues emails forwarding to me - it came in addressed to him and my first thought was man people get some wierd personal emails coming to their work account... then I clicked.

Oh, man, can you send that to me? I need a tank of gas. $50 a tank is really getting to me. I miss my old car very much right now. I'm sure nobody would mind if it was addressed to your co-worker and it actually came to me, right? I'm sure it's on the up-and-up.

KarenK

« Reply #1069 on: June 04, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
I've had two calls in the last few weeks to arrange installation of the home health system (think "I've fallen and I can't get up!") that I ordered. Of course, I did not order any such thing.

The thing that makes this one so odd is that the quality of the recording was so good, I didn't realize at first that it was a recording. The second time they called, it sounded exactly the same and said the same thing, so I just hung up.

Apparently the goal is to get your credit card number. The most offensive part is that the news reports say that they're targeting the elderly! I'm only 55!

redcat

« Reply #1070 on: June 04, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
$50 a tank is really getting to me.

Ha ha ha ha haaa.  $50!  Ha ha ha!  (UK bitterness)

wheeitsme

« Reply #1071 on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »

I'll trade our cheaper gas for your public transportation/rail system (US bitterness)  ;)

faithlessone

« Reply #1072 on: June 04, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

I'll trade our cheaper gas for your public transportation/rail system (US bitterness)  ;)

Public transportation?? Try living in the countryside. No such thing!

bellacullen

« Reply #1073 on: June 04, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
I was the stranded at the gas station person once. When my parents gave me my car I was also given a credit card for gas. My parents were adamant that I leave the credit card in my glove box and not in my wallet. I, of course, thought this was a ridiculously stupid idea. I figured a credit card was safer in my wallet. So I was keeping it in there.

Well I had my car for about 1 week. I was just leaving school and forgot to grab my purse from my locker but I had my backpack with my keys in it and so didn't think anything of it.

Well apparently I had neglected to fill my tank up since receiving the car and I didn't realize that I had no gas. :( I ran out of gas about midway between school and home. I soooo did not want to tell my parents what I did so I walked over to the nearet gas station and asked a couple of people if they could maybe spare a couple of bucks for gas and I would pay them back if they gave me their info. Thankfully, after the first three people said no, I saw a guy I knew from school. He drove me back to the school where I grabbed my purse and credit card. He had a gas can in his car and so I was able to drive my car into the station to get gas. I also filled up his tank to say thank you.

I know people get scammed but sometimes, just sometimes, there is a legitimate reason that someone could be asking for money.  I now always keep the credit card in my glove box like I was told. And that was a little over a year ago. Lol

ACBNYC

« Reply #1074 on: June 04, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
I was the stranded at the gas station person once. When my parents gave me my car I was also given a credit card for gas. My parents were adamant that I leave the credit card in my glove box and not in my wallet. I, of course, thought this was a ridiculously stupid idea. I figured a credit card was safer in my wallet. So I was keeping it in there.

Well I had my car for about 1 week. I was just leaving school and forgot to grab my purse from my locker but I had my backpack with my keys in it and so didn't think anything of it.

Well apparently I had neglected to fill my tank up since receiving the car and I didn't realize that I had no gas. :( I ran out of gas about midway between school and home. I soooo did not want to tell my parents what I did so I walked over to the nearet gas station and asked a couple of people if they could maybe spare a couple of bucks for gas and I would pay them back if they gave me their info. Thankfully, after the first three people said no, I saw a guy I knew from school. He drove me back to the school where I grabbed my purse and credit card. He had a gas can in his car and so I was able to drive my car into the station to get gas. I also filled up his tank to say thank you.

I know people get scammed but sometimes, just sometimes, there is a legitimate reason that someone could be asking for money.  I now always keep the credit card in my glove box like I was told. And that was a little over a year ago. Lol

I would be way too worried that someone would break into my car and steal a credit card. Keep $10 in cash in there for emergencies, rather than dealing with the aftermath of fraud and/or identity theft!

Miss March

« Reply #1075 on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
Keep $10 in cash in there for emergencies,

This was one of the first things I was taught in driver's ed. Keep a ten or twenty stashed in the glove box, just in case you ever need to buy some gas and find yourself without your purse or wallet.  It's saved me many a time!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1076 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
I'll second keeping a small amount of cash in your glove box rather than a credit card.  There are too many ways a card can get compromised that way, and having $20.00 or your local equivalent will save you from just about any emergency requiring money to solve.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1077 on: June 04, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »
I have a new one!

About a month ago, I saw notices on our door and all the doors in my complex from the major cable company in our area. These paper door tag notices had a past due amount written on them with a $40 collection fee. I thought it was odd, but I called the cable company to report it and to check on our account (I use an auto-payment feature).

DS came home from school today and there are notices again, this time, the "collection fee" is $60! Only, this is not something authorized by the cable company and I am sure if you pay this person, none of it will find it's way onto your account!

cwm

« Reply #1078 on: June 04, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
I have a new one!

About a month ago, I saw notices on our door and all the doors in my complex from the major cable company in our area. These paper door tag notices had a past due amount written on them with a $40 collection fee. I thought it was odd, but I called the cable company to report it and to check on our account (I use an auto-payment feature).

DS came home from school today and there are notices again, this time, the "collection fee" is $60! Only, this is not something authorized by the cable company and I am sure if you pay this person, none of it will find it's way onto your account!

I'm wondering what the people who don't have cable are thinking about this whole thing.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1079 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
I have a new one!

How did they ask for payment?  If I believe that notice, I would look an old bill and mail it directly to the cable company.  Sadly, I realise some people aren't suspicious and do research even just to compare addresses.

As for keeping a credit card in the car, even if there is no threat of it getting stolen, it can melt or warp in hot weather.  Years ago, I went to the car one morning and a few cassette tapes got really warped into really weird shapes.  They weren't even sitting in direct sunlight.