Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 605038 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1080 on: June 04, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
I'm wondering where the scammer comes up with his amounts. Digital cable & internet with taxes is $100 per month, add another $10 for each tier of service on top of that.

The first notice on our door was $260. Today's was $290.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1081 on: June 04, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
I have a new one!

About a month ago, I saw notices on our door and all the doors in my complex from the major cable company in our area. These paper door tag notices had a past due amount written on them with a $40 collection fee. I thought it was odd, but I called the cable company to report it and to check on our account (I use an auto-payment feature).

DS came home from school today and there are notices again, this time, the "collection fee" is $60! Only, this is not something authorized by the cable company and I am sure if you pay this person, none of it will find it's way onto your account!

May I suggest notifying complex management and the local PD about this? (Also, maybe the local news station as well - hopefully people will see that and not fall for it!)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1082 on: June 04, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »
Cash or money order on such a day and time listed on the notice. I don't think so!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1083 on: June 04, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »
I'll second keeping a small amount of cash in your glove box rather than a credit card.  There are too many ways a card can get compromised that way, and having $20.00 or your local equivalent will save you from just about any emergency requiring money to solve.

Virg

Well, that would explain a spate of car break-ins!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1084 on: June 04, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
Cash or money order on such a day and time listed on the notice. I don't think so!

Does that mean they are coming back to collect?  I'd call the cops to meet them at the door!  If they want "payment" mailed, I'd still give the address or PO box to the cops.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1085 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
I'm wondering where the scammer comes up with his amounts. Digital cable & internet with taxes is $100 per month, add another $10 for each tier of service on top of that.

The first notice on our door was $260. Today's was $290.

They probably figure that a lot folks won't question it, they'll just pay it, as many do, without looking carefully at their bill to see how much they actually owe each month.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1086 on: June 04, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
That is the scammers intention, I am certain. At this point, I have notified the cable company and our complex office, so I am leaving it up to them.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1087 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:04 PM »
I have a new one!

About a month ago, I saw notices on our door and all the doors in my complex from the major cable company in our area. These paper door tag notices had a past due amount written on them with a $40 collection fee. I thought it was odd, but I called the cable company to report it and to check on our account (I use an auto-payment feature).

DS came home from school today and there are notices again, this time, the "collection fee" is $60! Only, this is not something authorized by the cable company and I am sure if you pay this person, none of it will find it's way onto your account!

I'm wondering what the people who don't have cable are thinking about this whole thing.
If the scammers were at all intelligent they would only visit the places that don't have a visible satellite dish and then have to gamble that the residents didn't just have network TV only (IMO not many people do). In apartments with more than one bill-paying resident, I can see where it would be easy for one person to think that the other forgot to pay it.

Oddly and scarily, I actually knew a woman who worked for a small local car finance company. One day the boss decided it would be a good idea to send employees to go door-to-door to try and collect on the spot any payment they could from delinquent accounts. It wasn't a scam but that brilliant idea lasted one whole day...for the employees safety   ::)   She looked for a new job after that.

edit: I do know the difference between "knew" and "new"  :-[
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:32:58 PM by LazyDaisy »
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1088 on: June 04, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
I work with transfer admissions, but one of my colleagues worked with financial aid only. She was stalked and her house was burglarized by a student's boyfriend who was unhappy with his girlfriend's financial aid amount. Very creepy.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #1089 on: June 04, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »
$50 a tank is really getting to me.

Ha ha ha ha haaa.  $50!  Ha ha ha!  (UK bitterness)

Tell me about it. 70 to fill my car each week, that's 133.62NZD.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1090 on: June 04, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »
Sis is a hospital case worker. The doctor ordered a scammer to be discharged. He and his girlfriend decided to blame the messenger. I got a phone call at work. For the rest of the week I picked up the kids, while sis drove in circles to various police stations to get rid of the couple trying to follow her home. They got picked up for stalking and tresspassing - so they got their bed and 3 square meals a day - just not in the venue they preferred.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

KB

« Reply #1091 on: June 05, 2013, 12:23:09 AM »
Just a heads up to other Australians on the board, the 'microsoft windows virus in your computer' scam is now a 'Telstra Big Pond dangerous ISPs from your computer' scam. I did get the scammer to admit it was a scam before he hung up on me  ::) but I had to think a bit harder because I wasn't expecting the change.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1092 on: June 05, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Or another email from sprint that was phishing. They're getting very annoying.

BB-VA

« Reply #1093 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »
Here's one from Not Always Right about the Windows scam:

http://notalwaysrelated.com/a-window-of-opportunity/26521

I kinda hope this one is true.
 >:D
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #1094 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
I just got an e-mail from Yasser Arafat's widow. She wants to give me $17 million dollars for safe keeping. I just need to send her my name, age, occupation, telephone number, and home address.

Think it's legit? ::)

Ya know, I never pictured Mrs. Arafat as someone who would have a Yahoo e-mail address. I had her figured as a no-nonsense gmail kind of gal.  ::)