Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 456387 times)

lilfox

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1095 on: June 10, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
I received a letter from my insurance company that really comes across as phishing.  First, although it's on letterhead, it appears to be a copy (the logo is black on the letter but blue normally).  It asks me to supply the names and SSNs of everyone on my policy, and mail back the form in the provided envelope.

We're pretty sure it's legit since it has my correct name and address as well as policy numbers, and the return address is correct for the company.  Plus they allow the alternative of calling in the information, and rather than provide a number (which would be a red flag) it says to call the number on the back of my insurance card.

But still, if they already have my policy info, then they have my dependents's info, and I am sure not going to write names + SSNs down and send through the mail!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1096 on: June 10, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »

We're pretty sure it's legit since it has my correct name and address as well as policy numbers, and the return address is correct for the company.  Plus they allow the alternative of calling in the information, and rather than provide a number (which would be a red flag) it says to call the number on the back of my insurance card.

But still, if they already have my policy info, then they have my dependent's info, and I am sure not going to write names + SSNs down and send through the mail!

The bolded is the important part.  You're right.  They should already have that information.  I think you should call your agent if that's possible and if not, I'd call the number on your insurance card and ask WHY they need that information  again!

Reader

« Reply #1097 on: June 10, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
I went to an art and food festival over the weekend.  Every time I went to smoke, I was asked from no less than 6 people to bum a smoke.  I know they are expensive, but I'm not so made of money that I could support my habit and their's.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1098 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
This one made me blink because the timing made it seem legit at first.

We had to call our copier company today to order some parts and supplies. This is always a bit of a process since we have talk to several departments. Ended up that a tech will be coming out in the next day or so.

About an hour later, I got a call from "Kelly" at the "Technical department".
Didn't worry me at first because we'd just been on the phone with them.

She needed to confirm the model number of the copier. Again, the tech is bringing parts, so a verification call wasn't beyond the realm of possibility. We do have multiple machines on our account.

And then....

"Which machine did you need the model number of?"
(I was starting to get out of "this is a follow up to the call I just made" mode and go "waaaait a minute here....")

"The closest one is fine."
Ding ding ding ding!  >:(

"Which company did you say you were with?"
Click.

How rude to hang up on me!  :D

snowflake

« Reply #1099 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »

We had to call our copier company today to order some parts and supplies. This is always a bit of a process since we have talk to several departments. Ended up that a tech will be coming out in the next day or so.

She needed to confirm the model number of the copier. Again, the tech is bringing parts, so a verification call wasn't beyond the realm of possibility. We do have multiple machines on our account.

And then....

(I was starting to get out of "this is a follow up to the call I just made" mode and go "waaaait a minute here....")

Click.

I can't believe they are still doing that one!  I remember in 1994 (!) telling people very firmly, "Our copier supplier has our model number, goodbye!"

I also got the, "I'm confirming this old order and need a new signature" bit.  I'd say, "It's OK to cancel that, I don't have a record of it."  They would say, "But then you won't get this toner."  And I'd reply, "OK."

That backfired on me.  Because soon the receptionist forwarded all unfamiliar calls to me to screen.   :(

Jones

« Reply #1100 on: June 10, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

But still, if they already have my policy info, then they have my dependent's info, and I am sure not going to write names + SSNs down and send through the mail!

The bolded is the important part.  You're right.  They should already have that information.  I think you should call your agent if that's possible and if not, I'd call the number on your insurance card and ask WHY they need that information  again!
My insurance asks me to confirm annually. Generally I just log into my online account to do it though, and the letter is in color and quite legit.

turtleIScream

« Reply #1101 on: June 10, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »
We just got a parcel pick-up notice, in the mail box, from no particular delivery service. We have 72 hours to call and arrange pick up of our "sensitive documents."

I finally saw the fine print, stating we'd have to attend a 90 minute open house presentation for DirectBuy to receive our gift.

This was in the same delivery as our DeBeers diamond settlement check, which I assumed was also fake. But it isn't! I legitimately have $27.41 extra to spend now!

Miss March

« Reply #1102 on: June 10, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »
I went to an art and food festival over the weekend.  Every time I went to smoke, I was asked from no less than 6 people to bum a smoke.  I know they are expensive, but I'm not so made of money that I could support my habit and their's.

Ugh. I knew a guy who would ask to bum a cigarette off everyone he could, even when he secretly had a pack in his pocket. He made no secret of the fact that he was just being cheap and wanted free cigarettes, and he never shared his cigarettes with all the people who had spotted him in the past.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:37:02 PM by Miss March »
He had no choice, he had told her, and then he left, choosing.-- George R.R. Martin

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #1103 on: June 10, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
Fresh in the mail today: "US Airlines" sent me a travel check voucher for $1,350. I haven't flown in years and have no plans to. They say this is my last chance to respond as they have attempted contacting me on several occasions. Would that be the phone calls from an unrecognized number at all hours of the day (but interestingly none after 9pm), with no message left every single time? I was unaware that the new business etiquette was to leave absolutely no contact information for your prospective client. ::)

I am supposed to call 866-252-9929 to order my tickets.

I am not inclined to, as a simple Google search indicates this is a scam to get your info.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1104 on: June 10, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »

Background -

For those outside of the US or not following US education news. There is a grassroots anti-testing campaign in multiple states. Some call it the opt out movement. Thing is that laws vary by state. In Texas you can opt your child out of STAAR, benchmark testing, practice tests, and field tests by sending a letter to the school stating that you feel it is not in the best educational interest of your child. There is some confusion about what is going to happen to kids that opt out when passing is required to advance to the next grade (5 graders have to pass reading and math to go to 6th)

Other states do not allow an opt out. I am unsure exactly what would be done to the parents or child. NY state is one of those states apparently. It can get confusing on social media as people are exchanging stories and information about various protests.

Well someone decide to pull a scam. A letter on official state stationary (or a close forgery) was sent to principals of schools doing a field test for Pearson. It included a form to opt out of the field tests. At least one principal thought the letter was real and sent it home. Of 150 kids slated to take the field test - 125 opted out. Only to find out the letter was a fraud and their kids would have to take 1 more test.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130606/prospect-heights/hoax-letter-sent-schools-encourages-parents-opt-out-of-testing
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1105 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
DH has been chosen by a Nigerian General to hold funds for him! Too bad DH noticed the email address is Australian.

Minmom3

« Reply #1106 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »

And then....

Click.

I can't believe they are still doing that one!  I remember in 1994 (!) telling people very firmly, "Our copier supplier has our model number, goodbye!"

I also got the, "I'm confirming this old order and need a new signature" bit.  I'd say, "It's OK to cancel that, I don't have a record of it."  They would say, "But then you won't get this toner."  And I'd reply, "OK."

That backfired on me.  Because soon the receptionist forwarded all unfamiliar calls to me to screen.   :(

Heh.  I can remember getting those calls back in the late '70's and early 80's through to 2008, the last time I worked the phones in an office.  DECADES of them!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

StarFaerie

« Reply #1107 on: June 11, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »
DH has been chosen by a Nigerian General to hold funds for him! Too bad DH noticed the email address is Australian.

If they are using an Australian address, please report them to the ACCC. They keep an eye on scams in Australia and can liaise with the police to prosecute. www.scamwatch.gov.au is where you can report it. Thanks :)

Cami

« Reply #1108 on: June 11, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »

And then....

Click.

They're still doing it. Last summer we had a particularly persistent "Jacob" keep calling me about toner. He just would not stop. I kept telling him that I knew he was a scammer and to STOP IT. He just kept calling me back in ten minute intervals, and acting as if we'd never spoken. He finally stopped when I told him I was going to call the police and file harassment charges.

cwm

« Reply #1109 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »

Ugh. I knew a guy who would ask to bum a cigarette off everyone he could, even when he secretly had a pack in his pocket. He made no secret of the fact that he was just being cheap and wanted free cigarettes, and he never shared his cigarettes with all the people who had spotted him in the past.

*raises hand sheepishly* Okay, so I've asked to bum smokes, but here's the thing. I smoke maybe one cigarette every two or three months, when life gets REALLY hard on me, so I never buy a pack because I don't need them sitting around. Besides, I'd lose them. But I only ask my very close friends or someone who can obviously see I'm having a bad day, and with how infrequently I smoke, I don't usually end up getting one a year off of any one person.

I can't stand all the times I walk near a smoking area, though, minding my own business, and some stranger comes up and asks me for a lighter. Come on, you can support your cigarette habit and always make sure you have smokes on you, but you can't keep track of a lighter? Really?