Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 455887 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1110 on: June 11, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
A business that I know of just one the "BBC National Lottery." They shared with me the swell letter that was attached to the email--even had a BBC logo on it. Their customer service email account "has won you 3,750,000.00 from the BBC National Lottery. The draw No. 1820 brought out your e-mail address from a Data Base of Internet Email Users and qualified you a lucky winner of the stated winning amount."

They even provided a link to the real BBC National Lottery web site. Which is about a real TV show where they broadcast the lottery results.

For some reason, however, the BBC is unable to process that 3 million award from the UK. The lucky winning business is supposed to contact their South Africa representative.

The UK National Lottery actually has a warning about this scam. Even better the National Lottery actually got one:
As a somewhat humorous aside, we received one of these emails addressed to "Dear Sales" (email address: sales@lottery) informing us that we were one of six lucky winners of 2.5 million. The scammer had, however, used CC in their email instead of BCC and you could see that the same email had been sent to several hundred people all with email addresses beginning with the letter "s"!

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1111 on: June 11, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
I have a package at Fed, ex that couldn't be delivered May 22, according to the email sent this morning (June 11).

We were home that day, the name of the company is NOT Fed, ex, we don't have a local distribution center so they didn't say which one to go to, and for fun I tried to print the shipping label that I was asked to take to the office to retrieve my package, and it didn't print. Everything I have ordered lately is here, and it's far past Mother's Day.

I guess I will ramain parcelless as I don't plan to email them back.

Maybe it was my Nigerian Prince's $1.5 million that I didn't claim.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1112 on: June 11, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »
A business that I know of just won the "BBC National Lottery." They shared with me the swell letter that was attached to the email--even had a BBC logo on it. Their customer service email account "has won you 3,750,000.00 from the BBC National Lottery. The draw No. 1820 brought out your e-mail address from a Data Base of Internet Email Users and qualified you a lucky winner of the stated winning amount."

They even provided a link to the real BBC National Lottery web site. Which is about a real TV show where they broadcast the lottery results.

For some reason, however, the BBC is unable to process that 3 million award from the UK. The lucky winning business is supposed to contact their South Africa representative.

The UK National Lottery actually has a warning about this scam. Even better the National Lottery actually got one:
As a somewhat humorous aside, we received one of these emails addressed to "Dear Sales" (email address: sales@lottery) informing us that we were one of six lucky winners of 2.5 million. The scammer had, however, used CC in their email instead of BCC and you could see that the same email had been sent to several hundred people all with email addresses beginning with the letter "s"!
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:01:26 PM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #1113 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
Anyone else getting bombarded with spam for:

* Doctorate degrees
* Kitchen cabinets
* Used cars

Or am I just that special?

snowflake

« Reply #1114 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »
Anyone else getting bombarded with spam for:

* Doctorate degrees
* Kitchen cabinets
* Used cars

Or am I just that special?

I get all that AND rich husbands.  Apparently there are lots of rich guys who want to throw their money away on me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1115 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
Tons of phishing emails this week at work. I send any that fall through the filters to our IT guru, and he has to disable the links before sending them to staff for an FYI.

Amara

« Reply #1116 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
Hmm, I seem to get "S E X Y housewives want to meet you!" ones and lots of ones that want to deposit (mostly) $2500 into my account. How did I lose all the Nigerian princes who need me to help them with their millions? Could it be because I am taking away their s e x y housewives?

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #1117 on: June 11, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
We've been getting calls on our home phone from a computer that wants us senior citizens to be safe in our homes by signing up for one of those necklace-type devices with the press button "when we've fallen and can't get up".

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1118 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »
We've been getting collection calls on our phone (number we've had for a long time, so unlikely to be a person who used to have the number).  I can't think of any bill we have that could have gone to collections, so I'm hoping it's a scam (rather than something that we have totally missed).  I haven't managed to pick up on any calls yet, though, so we'll see.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #1119 on: June 11, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
I can't stand all the times I walk near a smoking area, though, minding my own business, and some stranger comes up and asks me for a lighter. Come on, you can support your cigarette habit and always make sure you have smokes on you, but you can't keep track of a lighter? Really?

Oh, I could always keep track of a lighter. Didn't mean that lighter would have enough fluid in it to make it through my daily stuff. And it was really hard to tell a disposable lighter that was running low, so I'd sometimes find myself with a dead lighter, and smokes I couldn't light (which, even years after quitting, I still maintain is worse than no smokes).

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1120 on: June 11, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
We've been getting collection calls on our phone (number we've had for a long time, so unlikely to be a person who used to have the number).  I can't think of any bill we have that could have gone to collections, so I'm hoping it's a scam (rather than something that we have totally missed).  I haven't managed to pick up on any calls yet, though, so we'll see.

I've gotten a lot of those recently. A quick reverse look-up on the net says that some of the numbers belong to known scammers. They barrage you with calls for a 'debt' and hope you pay up without checking too closely.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Carotte

« Reply #1121 on: June 12, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
Yesterday was the first time the "your payment for electrical company hasn't gone through" didn't land directly in my spam box.
Seeing has I don't pay the electricity (and the whole "it failed on your bank end so log in in our website" with typo would clue me in) it cannot be anything else than spam.
The fact that I live in France and that they used a .PL address (Poland) should also be a clue  ::)
And since they copied the original website with a jpg ( so it's unresponsive, nothing links anywhere), and it's hosted by "besttyreworld.fr ", you really have to pay no attention whatsoever to actually believe it.
Sadly it works, my own mother would probably fall for that (well, not that one, she knows there's no reason electrical company would contact her).

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1122 on: June 12, 2013, 08:36:31 AM »
Beggar, yes.  Moocher or Scammer, no.  Annoying, definitely yes.

Yesterday we received a letter with red letters that said, 'URGENT! THIRD NOTICE!'. 

It was an appeal from the ASPCA.  :o

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1123 on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Not really a scam, either, but I hate the envelopes from the cable company that say "Important Account Information" where the contents are just advertisements.

magicdomino

« Reply #1124 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
Not really a scam, either, but I hate the envelopes from the cable company that say "Important Account Information" where the contents are just advertisements.

Verizon does that.  Every once in a while, I throw out the bill, thinking it is an ad.  After paying late a couple of times, I now have automatic withdrawal for that account.