Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 630365 times)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1170 on: June 19, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »
okay, I don't know if this goes here or under special snowflake - but this is a new one to me.

I follow my favorite singer on twitter and someone just tweeted him this

(leaving blank)   could you please help me?I'm raising money for Student loan payoff . Click to Donate: http://www.gofundme.com/39rdjo    #gofundme

She seriously wants people to donate to her "pay off my college loan" fund? ??? ??  ::)

I just looked at her twitter page and it looks like she has tweeted anyone who is famous - I guess she figures they have a few bucks to spare  :o

It's spamming like crazy, but I can't quite say I fault the person for trying :)
I read a story once where a big lottery winner kept a running dollar total of the beg letters that she got. (Some places you have to give your real name to the lottery PR people.) "You just won 100 bazillion dollars, so I just know that you're a kind, charitable person who will give me $XXXX for Y reason."  She quit counting when the total reached 3 or 4 times the amount that she won, and the letters still kept coming in. 

Similarly, I suspect that Favorite Singer could give away every penny that he earns, and people would still hound him for more.

I caught a few minutes of one of those TLC "I won the lottery" shows a few years back, and it showed a woman checking her email. There were people asking for money for charity or to pay the rent, but there was also someone asking for money for a new big screen TV. I guess at least they were honest about why they wanted the money.

Snooks

« Reply #1171 on: June 19, 2013, 05:03:21 PM »
That said, Americans regularly drive much longer distance than most Europeans do - unless you're in a big city with a metro system, there's just no other way to get around.  My friends and I drive to NearbyCity (~100 mi / 160 km away) on a regular basis for meetings, concerts, conferences, etc., and think nothing of it.  Some Americans spend two to three hours a day on their commute to/from work.

Not sure if this is still the case but US cars used to have much worse fuel economy than UK cars (and we have different gallons).  My car does about 37.5 miles per US gallon.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1172 on: June 19, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
That said, Americans regularly drive much longer distance than most Europeans do - unless you're in a big city with a metro system, there's just no other way to get around.  My friends and I drive to NearbyCity (~100 mi / 160 km away) on a regular basis for meetings, concerts, conferences, etc., and think nothing of it.  Some Americans spend two to three hours a day on their commute to/from work.

Not sure if this is still the case but US cars used to have much worse fuel economy than UK cars (and we have different gallons).  My car does about 37.5 miles per US gallon.

Some of the smaller, more fuel-efficient cars get in the 30-40 range, but you can also find cars here that get half that.

cwm

« Reply #1173 on: June 20, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »

Some of the smaller, more fuel-efficient cars get in the 30-40 range, but you can also find cars here that get half that.

The BEST car I've ever had got about 25 in optimal conditions. Usually I'm somewhere right around 21.5. I measure it regularly. My sister's car is at 19, and I don't know what my mom's is, but it's an SUV, so probably worse.

If I could get a car with 37.5, dear lord, I wouldn't have to pinch pennies so much to have enough money to get from point A to point B, I'd have to fill up my tank so much less.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #1174 on: June 20, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
In regards to the Jezebel article, DH reminded me of my two favourite "moochers".

Someone asked me to make favours for a wedding because she had one I did for someone else and loved it. She even offered to pay for the materials! I asked how much they/she could afford to pay on top of the materials and she was irritated I wasn't honoured by the request. She just wanted to help my portfolio! Turned out she told the B&G she made them and would be happy to make 250-300, so now I was obligated because she couldn't let them down. I could just do them in my spare time, right?

Our neighbour was invited to a family potluck and offered to bring pans full of homemade lasagna then tried to cajole me into making them. I could just whip up a couple trays like I usually do, easy peasy. And since it’s all homemade it couldn’t cost more than a couple of bucks for ingredients, right? He’d even pay me $20.00 for this little thing! He already told them HE made “the most amazing homemade lasagna, from sauce to noodles.” So, likewise I was obligated to help him out.

I ended up telling both of them I loathe the word “just”, but for Wedding Girl I’d make the favours and “just” charge her $1000.00 (which was a deal).  Lasagna Boy was told there’s a reason DH calls it “Mystical’s hundred dollar lasagne's, but if he really wanted it I’d help. He “just” needed to buy this list of ingredients and do all the prep work. (Make the dough for noodles, wash and chop all the veggies, make the sauce, mix the cheese blend, etc.) under my supervision. That way he could truthfully say he made it.  She decided that was way too much to spend and he decided that would take way too long.

Both of them turned down my offers.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1175 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »
...    Turned out she told the B&G she made them and would be happy to make 250-300, so now I was obligated because she couldn't let them down. ...

Why do people lie about stuff like this?  Don't they realize it's likely to backfire big time?  And I love how YOU were obligated to do it so that she could save face!  Nope.  Don't think so. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1176 on: June 20, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »

The BEST car I've ever had got about 25 in optimal conditions. Usually I'm somewhere right around 21.5. I measure it regularly. My sister's car is at 19, and I don't know what my mom's is, but it's an SUV, so probably worse.

If I could get a car with 37.5, dear lord, I wouldn't have to pinch pennies so much to have enough money to get from point A to point B, I'd have to fill up my tank so much less.

Hee hee... I get 65mpg (UK gallons).

Hillia

« Reply #1177 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
And I hate to be Debby Downer, but just  because he's raised the amount that they told other family members they would sell the house for doesn't mean they'll actually sell it to him.  Just for spite.

And my lack of faith in humanity is proven correct:
http://now.msn.com/john-potter-92-year-old-wwii-veteran-may-still-face-eviction

To recap the story: a 90+ year old man had his house (that he built) stolen out from under him by his daughter, who abused her power of attorney to transfer it to her name.  She is now starting eviction proceedings.  His granddaughter took the story to the internet, and over $135k was raised to buy the house back.  His daughter is asking $85k for the house plus $15k in 'fees'; the house is valued at around $50k and he offered $65k for it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1178 on: June 20, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
http://jezebel.com/the-most-amazing-wedding-text-message-fight-of-our-time-514528769

Recap: a wedding guest gets a text the day after the wedding berating him for giving a cheap gift and not covering his plate. The guy is in the right etiquette wise, but he does make a remark about the newlyweds (a gay couple) that is rude.

heartmug

« Reply #1179 on: June 20, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
That wedding one is being discussed here"

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=128632.60
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #1180 on: June 20, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »
http://jezebel.com/the-most-amazing-wedding-text-message-fight-of-our-time-514528769

Recap: a wedding guest gets a text the day after the wedding berating him for giving a cheap gift and not covering his plate. The guy is in the right etiquette wise, but he does make a remark about the newlyweds (a gay couple) that is rude.

Is it my imagination or is that the 3rd version of that story so far?  Little details (not the text messages) seem to be changed from version to version.
The days are long but the years are short.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #1181 on: June 20, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
...    Turned out she told the B&G she made them and would be happy to make 250-300, so now I was obligated because she couldn't let them down. ...

Why do people lie about stuff like this?  Don't they realize it's likely to backfire big time?  And I love how YOU were obligated to do it so that she could save face!  Nope.  Don't think so.

I wish I knew. Sometimes it works?

I think in both cases they thought offering materials was enough because cooking and stained glass can be considered hobbies. Lasagna boy told he he'd settle for any frozen I had on hand but he didn't have time to make fresh. Neither did I so that was that. He was pretty good about it in the end, he appreciated the suggestion that he buy really good pre-made from an Italian deli and beg off the same "no time" excuse.

The other was faaaamily. Sigh.

She wasn't the bride, I hope I made that clear. She had a leftover favour from another wedding. I guess her friends saw that and a few other pieces and she took credit. She wanted to "give" the favours as her wedding present, thinking they were small and therefore inexpensive. She wasn't pleased to learn the materials alone would run upwards of a couple hundred dollars. She argued that I had lots of time to teach her how to do it, but she wasn't interested I didn't, so I should do them to make it up to her (among other things, this was the most amusing). I told her if she told the B&G the truth we could maybe come to a compromise and work something out. These were not mutual friends so I never found out what happened. When she realized I wasn't going to budge she stopped talking about the wedding completely.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1182 on: June 21, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
That's always a problem with high-quality crafts.  People who know how to do them, appreciate why the crafters ask the prices they do.  Those who don't understand the skill and time involved don't think the items are worth the price. 

BarensMom

« Reply #1183 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
That's always a problem with high-quality crafts.  People who know how to do them, appreciate why the crafters ask the prices they do.  Those who don't understand the skill and time involved don't think the items are worth the price.

My knitting instructor was asked via e-mail to knit a pair of socks for someone's father in time for his birthday in September.  The payoff was to be the leftover yarn.  Instructor declined.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1184 on: June 21, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
Similar to the people who expect artists, writers, photographers, web designers, et al. to do something for free, because "it will be a great addition to your portfolio" or "it will be good publicity for you."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data