News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 11:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2578644 times)

Redwing

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1200 on: June 26, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
I got a spam today with this in the subject line:

I love your eyes and the way it looks at me makes me go so craze at you. The silent language spoken by your eyes makes my life more romantic. I want to get myself lost in your smiling eyes.

The body of the email is a link, which, of course, I will not follow.

:D

I got one last week that said they saw my profile pic on FB and thought I was cute and wanted to get to know me better (or some such wording)....

I really laughed out loud because my FB profile pic is one of me and my sister and brothers when we were younger, I was about 5.  I wonder how "he" knew which one I was  :P

I got one like that too!!   I'm so sexy-looking, and he really wants to get to know me better.

My Facebook picture is a picture of my cat, who apparently is getting more action than I am.

See what happens when you don't spay/neuter?

I got mine on my work email and there is no picture associated with it!

Jules1980

« Reply #1201 on: June 26, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

I love your eyes and the way it looks at me makes me go so craze at you. The silent language spoken by your eyes makes my life more romantic. I want to get myself lost in your smiling eyes.

I got one last week that said they saw my profile pic on FB and thought I was cute and wanted to get to know me better (or some such wording)....

I really laughed out loud because my FB profile pic is one of me and my sister and brothers when we were younger, I was about 5.  I wonder how "he" knew which one I was  :P

I got one like that too!!   I'm so sexy-looking, and he really wants to get to know me better.

My Facebook picture is a picture of my cat, who apparently is getting more action than I am.

I got one too.  He even told me he had a son. 

KB

« Reply #1202 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »

Congratulations! Do you know who the father is? ;-)

Jules1980

« Reply #1203 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »

Congratulations! Do you know who the father is? ;-)

He came with frame.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1204 on: June 26, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »
My grandmother called yesterday.  She'd subscribed my two older daughters to a magazine (it has different age levels, so each gets her own).  She said she had just wanted to let me know she'd received a renewal notice and she'd be renewing the magazines.  I was puzzled at this, because I didn't *think* they'd been getting the magazine for a year already.  Thanks to this thread, I knew that magazines try to get you to renew and renew and renew.  So I accessed our account online and discovered that we're up for renewal in December, not now.  So I was able to tell her that, and she can save her money for six months.  :)  I'm contemplating whether I should contact the magazine and tell them that I'm disappointed in them.  They might contract out that sort of thing to another company.  But, nonetheless, it definitely doesn't give me happy thoughts when thinking of them, and I *do* like the magazine a lot!
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Thipu1

« Reply #1205 on: June 27, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
My grandmother called yesterday.  She'd subscribed my two older daughters to a magazine (it has different age levels, so each gets her own).  She said she had just wanted to let me know she'd received a renewal notice and she'd be renewing the magazines.  I was puzzled at this, because I didn't *think* they'd been getting the magazine for a year already.  Thanks to this thread, I knew that magazines try to get you to renew and renew and renew.  So I accessed our account online and discovered that we're up for renewal in December, not now.  So I was able to tell her that, and she can save her money for six months.  :)  I'm contemplating whether I should contact the magazine and tell them that I'm disappointed in them.  They might contract out that sort of thing to another company.  But, nonetheless, it definitely doesn't give me happy thoughts when thinking of them, and I *do* like the magazine a lot!

These renewal notices may have nothing to do with the publisher of the magazine at all.

Every issue of Harper's has a box warning subscribers against fake renewal notices. 

Also, the mailing label on each magazine we receive has the date of the last issue printed on it somewhere. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1206 on: June 27, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »

It probably wouldn't do any good as they all do it. Drives me up the wall too.

bloo

« Reply #1207 on: June 27, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »

These renewal notices may have nothing to do with the publisher of the magazine at all.

Every issue of Harper's has a box warning subscribers against fake renewal notices. 

Also, the mailing label on each magazine we receive has the date of the last issue printed on it somewhere.

I didn't know that...about the fake renewal notices.

Like MommyPenguin, I've been disappointed in Taste of Home and Reader's Digest for the constant renewal notices. I registered online and only pay attention to the online notices and just throw the bi-monthly 'Expiring!' notices in the garbage. I never noticed a warning box on those magazines and since the notices sometimes come with the magazines, I'm inclined to believe they're actually coming from the magazine.

But I'll pay more attention now for sure!

Nornster

« Reply #1208 on: June 27, 2013, 08:45:15 AM »
Sigh- Reader`s Digest and the constant renewal notices!  My dad just kept sending them a check for both his and my gift subscription, mom called me to see if that sounded right, she finally calls them to straighten things out - comes down to, we now both have subscriptions paid in full until 2019!  I told mom that given the state of the periodical industry, I have no confidence there will even be a print version in 2019, and I know my parents, no way they are going to read an online edition. We told dad in no uncertain terms, no more checks to RD in your lifetime!

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1209 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »

I didn't know that...about the fake renewal notices.

Like MommyPenguin, I've been disappointed in Taste of Home and Reader's Digest for the constant renewal notices. I registered online and only pay attention to the online notices and just throw the bi-monthly 'Expiring!' notices in the garbage. I never noticed a warning box on those magazines and since the notices sometimes come with the magazines, I'm inclined to believe they're actually coming from the magazine.

But I'll pay more attention now for sure!

There may be some fake renewal notices, but I'm sure 99.9% are legit and they're trying to get you to send them more money. I get renewal notices all the time and I can't remember the last time one didn't come from the magazine or with the magazine.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1210 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »
Yesterday we got a phone call - "the manufacturer's warranty on your vehicle has expired and you need to renew it. "

I'm sure the dealer and the manufacturer would actually mention the make and model of your car.

Thipu1

« Reply #1211 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:50 AM »
Yesterday we got a phone call - "the manufacturer's warranty on your vehicle has expired and you need to renew it. "

I'm sure the dealer and the manufacturer would actually mention the make and model of your car.

We get this quite frequently.  The fun part of it is that neither of us have ever owned a car.   :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1212 on: June 27, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
Mr. Nutrax is on the mailing list of a company that sells magazine subscriptions as a third party. He sometimes gets four or five envelopes in a single day. The enclosure looks very much like a renewal notice or an invoice for something you subscribed to with "bill me later."; you have to hunt for the fine print that says it's just an offer to sell you a subscription. I can see someone being fooled by it.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1213 on: June 27, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »
Sigh- Reader`s Digest and the constant renewal notices!  My dad just kept sending them a check for both his and my gift subscription, mom called me to see if that sounded right, she finally calls them to straighten things out - comes down to, we now both have subscriptions paid in full until 2019!  I told mom that given the state of the periodical industry, I have no confidence there will even be a print version in 2019, and I know my parents, no way they are going to read an online edition. We told dad in no uncertain terms, no more checks to RD in your lifetime!

My parents did the same thing!  In 2007, I think it was, Mom's subscription was renewed through 2011!  She or Dad just kept getting the renewal notices and renewing.  At least the magazine did stay in print until they got caught up!  :)  The thing is that if you get to the point where you start ignoring all those notices, eventually you miss the one that you actually *do* need, when the subscription is going to expire.  <sigh>  I never noticed that the expiration date was on the magazine mailing label, that's helpful.  Of course, it doesn't help my grandmother to check it, since she sends the magazine here.  But at least in her case she now knows December and can mentally link it to "before Christmas," so it shouldn't be a problem.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

rose red

« Reply #1214 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
Oh, Reader's Digest.  Years ago, I decided to not renew as the quality is no longer as good and I can read it for free from the library.  I figure, don't renew and they'll just stop sending magazines, right?  Wrong.  One day, they sent a harsh letter demanding that I owe money because they mailed two magazines after my subscription ran out.  And now I need to mail a check for those two issues and while I was at it, I can easily and conveniently go ahead and renew for another year.  They mailed several of those letters before I wrote back stating I never asked for those two issues and if they decided to mail them without my permission, that's their problem.