Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 599638 times)

bloo

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1230 on: June 27, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
My grandmother called yesterday.  She'd subscribed my two older daughters to a magazine (it has different age levels, so each gets her own).  She said she had just wanted to let me know she'd received a renewal notice and she'd be renewing the magazines.  I was puzzled at this, because I didn't *think* they'd been getting the magazine for a year already.  Thanks to this thread, I knew that magazines try to get you to renew and renew and renew.  So I accessed our account online and discovered that we're up for renewal in December, not now.  So I was able to tell her that, and she can save her money for six months.  :)  I'm contemplating whether I should contact the magazine and tell them that I'm disappointed in them.  They might contract out that sort of thing to another company.  But, nonetheless, it definitely doesn't give me happy thoughts when thinking of them, and I *do* like the magazine a lot!

These renewal notices may have nothing to do with the publisher of the magazine at all.

Every issue of Harper's has a box warning subscribers against fake renewal notices. 

Also, the mailing label on each magazine we receive has the date of the last issue printed on it somewhere.

I didn't know that...about the fake renewal notices.

Like MommyPenguin, I've been disappointed in Taste of Home and Reader's Digest for the constant renewal notices. I registered online and only pay attention to the online notices and just throw the bi-monthly 'Expiring!' notices in the garbage. I never noticed a warning box on those magazines and since the notices sometimes come with the magazines, I'm inclined to believe they're actually coming from the magazine.

But I'll pay more attention now for sure!

Nornster

« Reply #1231 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »
Sigh- Reader`s Digest and the constant renewal notices!  My dad just kept sending them a check for both his and my gift subscription, mom called me to see if that sounded right, she finally calls them to straighten things out - comes down to, we now both have subscriptions paid in full until 2019!  I told mom that given the state of the periodical industry, I have no confidence there will even be a print version in 2019, and I know my parents, no way they are going to read an online edition. We told dad in no uncertain terms, no more checks to RD in your lifetime!

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1232 on: June 27, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
My grandmother called yesterday.  She'd subscribed my two older daughters to a magazine (it has different age levels, so each gets her own).  She said she had just wanted to let me know she'd received a renewal notice and she'd be renewing the magazines.  I was puzzled at this, because I didn't *think* they'd been getting the magazine for a year already.  Thanks to this thread, I knew that magazines try to get you to renew and renew and renew.  So I accessed our account online and discovered that we're up for renewal in December, not now.  So I was able to tell her that, and she can save her money for six months.  :)  I'm contemplating whether I should contact the magazine and tell them that I'm disappointed in them.  They might contract out that sort of thing to another company.  But, nonetheless, it definitely doesn't give me happy thoughts when thinking of them, and I *do* like the magazine a lot!

These renewal notices may have nothing to do with the publisher of the magazine at all.

Every issue of Harper's has a box warning subscribers against fake renewal notices. 

Also, the mailing label on each magazine we receive has the date of the last issue printed on it somewhere.

I didn't know that...about the fake renewal notices.

Like MommyPenguin, I've been disappointed in Taste of Home and Reader's Digest for the constant renewal notices. I registered online and only pay attention to the online notices and just throw the bi-monthly 'Expiring!' notices in the garbage. I never noticed a warning box on those magazines and since the notices sometimes come with the magazines, I'm inclined to believe they're actually coming from the magazine.

But I'll pay more attention now for sure!

There may be some fake renewal notices, but I'm sure 99.9% are legit and they're trying to get you to send them more money. I get renewal notices all the time and I can't remember the last time one didn't come from the magazine or with the magazine.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1233 on: June 27, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
Yesterday we got a phone call - "the manufacturer's warranty on your vehicle has expired and you need to renew it. "

I'm sure the dealer and the manufacturer would actually mention the make and model of your car.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1234 on: June 27, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
Yesterday we got a phone call - "the manufacturer's warranty on your vehicle has expired and you need to renew it. "

I'm sure the dealer and the manufacturer would actually mention the make and model of your car.

We get this quite frequently.  The fun part of it is that neither of us have ever owned a car.   :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1235 on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »
Mr. Nutrax is on the mailing list of a company that sells magazine subscriptions as a third party. He sometimes gets four or five envelopes in a single day. The enclosure looks very much like a renewal notice or an invoice for something you subscribed to with "bill me later."; you have to hunt for the fine print that says it's just an offer to sell you a subscription. I can see someone being fooled by it.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1236 on: June 27, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
Sigh- Reader`s Digest and the constant renewal notices!  My dad just kept sending them a check for both his and my gift subscription, mom called me to see if that sounded right, she finally calls them to straighten things out - comes down to, we now both have subscriptions paid in full until 2019!  I told mom that given the state of the periodical industry, I have no confidence there will even be a print version in 2019, and I know my parents, no way they are going to read an online edition. We told dad in no uncertain terms, no more checks to RD in your lifetime!

My parents did the same thing!  In 2007, I think it was, Mom's subscription was renewed through 2011!  She or Dad just kept getting the renewal notices and renewing.  At least the magazine did stay in print until they got caught up!  :)  The thing is that if you get to the point where you start ignoring all those notices, eventually you miss the one that you actually *do* need, when the subscription is going to expire.  <sigh>  I never noticed that the expiration date was on the magazine mailing label, that's helpful.  Of course, it doesn't help my grandmother to check it, since she sends the magazine here.  But at least in her case she now knows December and can mentally link it to "before Christmas," so it shouldn't be a problem.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1237 on: June 27, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »
Oh, Reader's Digest.  Years ago, I decided to not renew as the quality is no longer as good and I can read it for free from the library.  I figure, don't renew and they'll just stop sending magazines, right?  Wrong.  One day, they sent a harsh letter demanding that I owe money because they mailed two magazines after my subscription ran out.  And now I need to mail a check for those two issues and while I was at it, I can easily and conveniently go ahead and renew for another year.  They mailed several of those letters before I wrote back stating I never asked for those two issues and if they decided to mail them without my permission, that's their problem.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1238 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
Ugh. Reader's Digest. They run on-line contests (like win a vacation or suite of Cuisinart appliances) you can allegedly sign up for "no purchase necessary." I was a registered on-line user (free) at the time and I thought some of them would be fun to enter. While they didn't ask me for a credit card or payment at the time I signed up, I started to receive bills for the magazine without ever signing up for a subscription. So apparently, there is a purchase necessary to enter the contest. I cancelled not only the scam subscription but my on-line registration too.

Real Simple magazine started sending me renewal notices within 2 weeks of beginning my 1-year subscription. By the time the year was up, I was so annoyed by the "urgent" renewal notices every 2 weeks, I cancelled. I've been so put off by subscription hassles with so many magazines that I no longer subscribe to anything -- I just buy the individual issues I'm really interested in, or read the on-line editions.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #1239 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
I've gotten that a couple of times.  If I'm in a bad mood, I just get off the phone as quickly as possible.  If I'm in a good mood, I say we have a "Corellian YT-1300 Stock Light" copier with an "Incom T-65" paper tray.

We get these calls constantly at our office. They drive my coworker & I insane. I did manage to greatly amuse my boss one day when he heard me say "Our copier model? Enterprise NCC-1701-D, of course!"

cwm

« Reply #1240 on: June 27, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
I got a call yesterday at my unlisted work number. The recording on the other end said that they were with the Department of Motor Vehicles and they were calling about my car, saying I was overpaying insurance.

Let's take apart how many problems there are with this.
1. I don't have a car registered with the DMV. My car was totalled. I'm driving my mom's old car, but it's still in her name.
2. The DMV in my state would call from the state capitol, not some other random city nowhere near it.
3. The caller ID for the DMV would have some sort of government identifying name on it.
4. What I pay in insurance is between my insurer and me, not the DMV.

I wouldn't put it past our state to try to have recorded phone calls from the DMV for valid reasons, but not this. I'm half wondering if I should tell anyone who runs the phone lines at work, as we've got a block of direct lines that are similar to each other, but so far it's just me, as far as I know. I don't even know what they'd be able to do.

Pen^2

« Reply #1241 on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:59 PM »
When I moved permanently away from my country of origin, I needed to cancel my private health insurance there. There was nothing on the website that would do it, so I supposed they wanted people to ring up. Just under a month before I finally left, I made the call. The first lady I spoke to was very helpful and although it took a while, we cancelled it and all was well. A week later, I got another call, explaining that although I had cancelled the insurance (which is paid monthly in advance), I had actually paid an extra month by mistake. I was busy, but the man assured me that it would be easy to refund the money to my bank account whenever I was free to call back.

When I called back, I got a different man, who suddenly informed me that it was not they who owed me money, but the other way around! He started taking me through steps to have me pay what I apparently owed. I felt uncomfortable about this, because I always pay these things promptly (hence overpaying without realising), and a few things he said sounded off. I said I was suddenly busy when he asked for my bank account details (they should already be in their system) and would call back to do it a bit later.

The fourth person I spoke with was confused--no, I don't owe them anything, they owe me. She sorted out my refund, and I made a point of complaining about the guy who had tried to make me pay extra. I had his name (when people on the phone introduce themselves I always write it down) so hopefully something came of it.

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #1242 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »

I get these and mail notices that my 1995 Ford Explorer warranty is expiring soon.  It was traded away 5 years ago.  Even if I still had that vehicle it would be 18 years old!!!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1243 on: June 27, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
I've gotten that a couple of times.  If I'm in a bad mood, I just get off the phone as quickly as possible.  If I'm in a good mood, I say we have a "Corellian YT-1300 Stock Light" copier with an "Incom T-65" paper tray.

We get these calls constantly at our office. They drive my coworker & I insane. I did manage to greatly amuse my boss one day when he heard me say "Our copier model? Enterprise NCC-1701-D, of course!"

I really hope to get one of those calls one day just so I can use that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1244 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »
The Mazda sedan I had in 2000 is still listed under my driver's license on my state records, because it was traded in and shipped out of state by the dealer. I wish I could get it removed!