Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 457446 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1245 on: June 27, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
The Mazda sedan I had in 2000 is still listed under my driver's license on my state records, because it was traded in and shipped out of state by the dealer. I wish I could get it removed!

That shouldn't be.  I'm assuming you traded it in or sold it to the dealer?  When you relinquished the title, you had to sign it as the seller, right?  Or does that vary from state to state?

It would seem to me that if it's still showing up with you as the owner, then the new owner's title isn't valid! 

daen

« Reply #1246 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
My grandmother called yesterday.  She'd subscribed my two older daughters to a magazine (it has different age levels, so each gets her own).  She said she had just wanted to let me know she'd received a renewal notice and she'd be renewing the magazines.  I was puzzled at this, because I didn't *think* they'd been getting the magazine for a year already.  Thanks to this thread, I knew that magazines try to get you to renew and renew and renew.  So I accessed our account online and discovered that we're up for renewal in December, not now.  So I was able to tell her that, and she can save her money for six months.  :)  I'm contemplating whether I should contact the magazine and tell them that I'm disappointed in them.  They might contract out that sort of thing to another company.  But, nonetheless, it definitely doesn't give me happy thoughts when thinking of them, and I *do* like the magazine a lot!

These renewal notices may have nothing to do with the publisher of the magazine at all.

Every issue of Harper's has a box warning subscribers against fake renewal notices. 

Also, the mailing label on each magazine we receive has the date of the last issue printed on it somewhere.

I manage the magazine subscriptions in our library - somewhere around 120-150 titles. I get to track the expiry dates for all of them. I'd say about two-thirds of the magazines print the expiry date on the label, although it's not very clear on some issues, and I do appreciate seeing that expiry date.  (Especially when, instead of renewing our subscription to a specific magazine, they start a new one that runs concurrently with the old one for a few months. ::) )

I usually end up contacting the subscription service to get the missing expiry dates so that I can keep my records straight. By the way - if you're ever asked to subscribe to a magazine as a fundraiser, and the supplier is QSP/Reader's Digest, you can be fairly confident that the magazines are reasonably priced, and the QSP customer service reps are very good if you have questions about your subscription later.

The renewal reminders come in spurts, and mostly I open them, pull out the return envelope, and recycle the rest. The envelopes come in handy for other library processes, and I rather enjoy turning a frequent annoyance into a source of office supplies.  :D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #1247 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »

Real Simple magazine started sending me renewal notices within 2 weeks of beginning my 1-year subscription. By the time the year was up, I was so annoyed by the "urgent" renewal notices every 2 weeks, I cancelled. I've been so put off by subscription hassles with so many magazines that I no longer subscribe to anything -- I just buy the individual issues I'm really interested in, or read the on-line editions.
I've gotten renewal notices before I ever receive the first issue of the magazine!

And when one of my favorite quilt magazines sent me what looked like a bill with "PAST DUE NOTICE" plastered on the front, I not only did NOT renew, but I canceled the remainder of the subscription.   >:(   I'll buy it off ebay second-hand, but never again a subscription or a newsstand issue.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1248 on: June 27, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
I recently got a check for $3 from my mortgage company. I was a little confused and decided (for once) to read the fine print. The check was in fact from a third party and by depositing the check I was signing up for a year's worth of blah blah blah insurance on my home and they would directly bill my mortgage company.

lilfox

« Reply #1249 on: June 27, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »
I recently got a check for $3 from my mortgage company. I was a little confused and decided (for once) to read the fine print. The check was in fact from a third party and by depositing the check I was signing up for a year's worth of blah blah blah insurance on my home and they would directly bill my mortgage company.

I just got that one too!  In the fine print it says it's for a 30 day free trial, after which I would be automatically billed $55 per month until I call to cancel.  Yeah, no.

exitzero

« Reply #1250 on: June 28, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »
Looks like the Nigeria scammers are feeling a little remorse.
I got an email today saying that they are reimbursing all the people who taken in by their scams.
All I have to do is email them my bank information and they will send me a cool 1.5 mil!
Wahoo!  ::)

Barney girl

« Reply #1251 on: June 28, 2013, 07:36:01 AM »
I don't think this was a scam, more mis-directed advertising.
I had an email from a company who could do aerial photos for publicity purposes. They cover Melbourne at the moment, but expect to be widening their area.

Sounds a good idea, but I'm in the UK!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #1252 on: June 28, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
I've gotten three separate recorded calls now on my answering machine, telling me they are going to deliver my medic alert equipment. You know the "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons? Yeah, I didn't order that. Ever. Maybe they are hoping I'm old and senile and wouldn't remember whether I'd ordered it or not? >:(
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1253 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
I got that one yesterday and UNLOADED on the guy with both barrels. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1254 on: June 28, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
I hate scammers. They are the lowest of the low.
Last week I had a frustrating conversation with an elderly family member. She got a letter in the mail saying that if she sent $25 she'd automatically win $4 million! She kept it because it "seemed legit." It took a long time to convince her that it was a scam. She even wanted me to drive from NJ to Long Island to the address on the letter to see if they were on the up-and-up. I googled the company, and only when I showed her how much money this company had scammed out of people did she grudgingly agree that it probably wasn't worth her time.  :-[

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #1255 on: June 28, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
I've gotten three separate recorded calls now on my answering machine, telling me they are going to deliver my medic alert equipment. You know the "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons? Yeah, I didn't order that. Ever. Maybe they are hoping I'm old and senile and wouldn't remember whether I'd ordered it or not? >:(
My MIL gets those all the time. She knows how to handle them now, but they did scare her, and cause a lot of confusion, at first.

Reader

« Reply #1256 on: June 28, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »
I've gotten that a couple of times.  If I'm in a bad mood, I just get off the phone as quickly as possible.  If I'm in a good mood, I say we have a "Corellian YT-1300 Stock Light" copier with an "Incom T-65" paper tray.

We get these calls constantly at our office. They drive my coworker & I insane. I did manage to greatly amuse my boss one day when he heard me say "Our copier model? Enterprise NCC-1701-D, of course!"

I do too, and I today I got to tell them Enterprise NCC-1701-D  ;D, the person that was on the phone didn't see to get it and now I can picture them searching for it.  So thanks for that!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1257 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
I think that there should be a special circle of hell reserved for people who scam seniors.   >:(
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1258 on: June 28, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »
I think that there should be a special circle of hell reserved for people who scam seniors.   >:(

I read an article (and it may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, too) that said that the part of your brain that is skeptical of scams and stuff like that deteriorates as you get older. That scares me, to think that you could be perfectly aware that something's not legit then get taken in by the same thing later in life.

EveLGenius

« Reply #1259 on: June 28, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
Yesterday I got one of those "Wouldn't you like to give us money, and we promise it'll all go to helping disabled veterans!" callers.  It gave me great pleasure to tell the guy that my husband is the quartermaster for our local VFW, and all of our donations go there.  I encouraged him to remind the veterans that the VFW is there to help them.  He was polite, but not thrilled by my response.