News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 07:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2579052 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1260 on: July 02, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
This afternoon I was awakened from a lovely nap by someone pounding on my front door.  The door doesn't actually open any more, but I was able to talk to the guy through a nearby window.  He said he was with a roofing service.  I actually need some roofing work.  However, he then told me that I qualified for free roofing . . . which firmly marked the deal for my scam bucket.

I suppose they get more business by lying to people than not, but they won't get mine.

He tossed a non-recyclable brochure on the ground before he left.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Twik

« Reply #1261 on: July 02, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »
I had to laugh at the subject line for some spam I was sent today (not sure if it's a scam, but definitely spam). Note that they're trying to sell a solar heating system:

"Get a 30% Rebate On A New Solar System!"

Gee, I think our current solar system is still in pretty good shape (even though we lost a planet a while back). Got a few billion years left on it, anyway. And I'm not sure I can afford a whole new one, even for 30% off.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

dawbs

« Reply #1262 on: July 02, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
I had to laugh at the subject line for some spam I was sent today (not sure if it's a scam, but definitely spam). Note that they're trying to sell a solar heating system:

"Get a 30% Rebate On A New Solar System!"

Gee, I think our current solar system is still in pretty good shape (even though we lost a planet a while back). Got a few billion years left on it, anyway. And I'm not sure I can afford a whole new one, even for 30% off.

Some of us are on those sorts of mailing lists  ;D...I recently got spam for a box of rocks.
Which I actually purchased for a geology section I was doing at work.
(and man, they kill you on shipping for that!)

EMuir

« Reply #1263 on: July 02, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I've despaired at someone wanting to donate to our local animal shelter and say "I want all the money to go to the animals, not to staff salaries!"  Who exactly do you think takes care of the animals and finds them homes?  I tried giving a cat my Mastercard once but it didn't seem to help find it a home. :P

LazyDaisy

« Reply #1264 on: July 02, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I've despaired at someone wanting to donate to our local animal shelter and say "I want all the money to go to the animals, not to staff salaries!"  Who exactly do you think takes care of the animals and finds them homes?  I tried giving a cat my Mastercard once but it didn't seem to help find it a home. :P

...and the building that the staff occupies, utilities, various office supplies that enable staff do their jobs, and marketing. If a non-profit spends $100 on an ad or brochure that convinces 10 new people to contribute $20 each (or adopt an animal), I guarantee, there is some idiot out there furious that the charity "wasted" money on marketing even though it resulted in more money.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1265 on: July 02, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »
I think there are two different questions here: how much is going directly to the beneficiaries, and how much is going specifically for fundraising? I won't fault a cancer or MS charity that is spending its money mostly on research; I would fault one that was spending the majority of its money on fundraising (phone calls, direct mail, etc.). "Staff salaries" at that research charity could be the salary of someone who is evaluating grant applications, or it can be the salary of someone who drafts fundraising letters. Yes, you need some fundraising, but the point should be to raise money to pay doctors or teachers or social workers, not primarily to pay for more fundraising.

Also, if you're spending four times as much evaluating grant applications as you are on research grants (or grants to actual dance companies, or whatever your organization's stated purpose is), there's probably something wrong with your process.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Margo

« Reply #1266 on: July 04, 2013, 05:29:57 AM »
I got a new one today. An e-mail claiming to come from HMRC to tell me I have overpaid on my tax and am due a refund.

Tickled me that they have added in a paragraph to say that I should *only* respond by e-mail  "becouse (Sic) staff will not be able to help by telephone"

Sadly it does not explain how they know I've over paid on my tax this year given that I have not yet submitted my Tax Return, not why they are planning to refund me my overpayment in $$ rather than in . 

Still, I'm sure that if I just e-mail them all my bank details they will be able to refund me my $457, won't they? ;-)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1267 on: July 04, 2013, 05:37:10 AM »
I got a couple of spam mails that were so awesome that I've saved them in my Junk folder instead of deleting them with everything else. ;D

The first one:
"WE THE FBI HAVE WARRANT TO ARREST YOU GET BACK TO US FOR YOUR OWN GOOD"
with an attached text file called "FBI final warning". Apparently the FBI use AOL for their e-mail, too.

The second:
It's a fairly standard Nigerian phishing e-mail... except that it's from Dr. Henry Salami. That still makes me grin when I see it.  ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Amara

« Reply #1268 on: July 04, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »
WE THE FBI HAVE WARRANT TO ARREST YOU GET BACK TO US FOR YOUR OWN GOOD"

I don't know if I could resist emailing them back just to see where they go with this.  ::)

Twik

« Reply #1269 on: July 04, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
I think this scam works by having you open the attachment, which comes helpfully loaded with a Trojan allowing them to control your computer.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #1270 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but I got one of those "I've been hired to kill you, but I won't if you send me even more money" emails.  I knew it was fake, but it was still creepy.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1271 on: July 04, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
The FBI one is a straight Nigerian scam. You can see the various forms the attachment takes here

The head of the FBI writes in remarkably poor English for someone with a law degree, who was an officer in the Marine Corps and worked in the legal field for many years before taking over the FBI.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Amara

« Reply #1272 on: July 04, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
You need to do every possible thing today and tomorrow to get this process done because our director has called to inform me that the warrant of arrest has been signed against you and once it has been approved, then the arrest will be carried out, and from our investigations we learnt that you were the person that forwarded your identity to one impostor/fraudsters in Nigeria when he had a deal with you about the transfer of some illegal funds into your bank account which is valued at the sum of $10,500,000.00 only.

Robert S. Mueller
FBI DIRECTOR

How funny. You'd think they would at least try to get their story straight. It might even catch them a few more victims. Seriously, thank god they are so totally and completely inept. It does help those who might otherwise fall for the scams.

PeterM

« Reply #1273 on: July 04, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »
I think this scam works by having you open the attachment, which comes helpfully loaded with a Trojan allowing them to control your computer.

If you really want to give a look, though, try using the computers at your library or maybe a Kinko's or such. Our library internet computers are specifically set up to scrub the bejesus out of everything in between uses, so there's no way a virus is going to take hold. I'd be amazed if Kinko's or similar places didn't do the same.

Doesn't mean the library computers don't get viruses, of course, but they have to get there via staff or network machines, which aren't nearly as well protected.

KB

« Reply #1274 on: July 04, 2013, 06:04:08 PM »
If anyone wants a bit of entertainment in the form of scams, I suggest you try reading Greetings in Jesus' Name!: The Scambaiter Letters, which is a series of letters in which the author gets one over on scammers. Very funny (although quite crude in a lot of sections as well).