Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 455732 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1335 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »
Has anyone here ever actually reported a call?  What were the results?

The one time I tried, I used the FCC web site, and it was a tedious procedure that I finally gave up on.  I had to supply a whole lot of personal information but wasn't asked the most basic questions about the call -- like the caller's number or the time of the call.

I believe they asked me when I reported a couple. No follow-up though.

I reported the one that was trying to arrange delivery of my "I've fallen and I can't get up" system.

Never heard back but I never heard back from the scammers either.
I've been getting that dang thing every day!  >:( >:( >:( >:(
So you reported to the FCC? I am sick of erasing this pre-recorded tripe from my answering machine...
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

BB-VA

« Reply #1336 on: July 13, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »
Has anyone here ever actually reported a call?  What were the results?

The one time I tried, I used the FCC web site, and it was a tedious procedure that I finally gave up on.  I had to supply a whole lot of personal information but wasn't asked the most basic questions about the call -- like the caller's number or the time of the call.

I believe they asked me when I reported a couple. No follow-up though.

I reported the one that was trying to arrange delivery of my "I've fallen and I can't get up" system.

Never heard back but I never heard back from the scammers either.
I've been getting that dang thing every day!  >:( >:( >:( >:(
So you reported to the FCC? I am sick of erasing this pre-recorded tripe from my answering machine...

I reported it to the donotcall.gov list.  Never heard another peep.

ETA - Click on the "File a Complaint" link.  Don't know if that's what did it but it's still pretty quiet out there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:28:50 PM by BB-VA »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #1337 on: July 14, 2013, 07:29:39 AM »
I have just received a personal invitation from ' Mr Steven Balmer himself' as such a leading windows user, to update my computer's operating system for a fraction of the cost.  Just send him my credit card info NOW.  I hope it will run on my mac.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1338 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
Old fashioned kind
A roofing company was caught by my neighbor putting "distressed" shingles in their flowerbeds, then putting a hang tag on the door saying they were working in the neighborhood and noticed neighbor's roof was damaged.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1339 on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:12 AM »
I just got an email with a

"Personal Donation for You, Contact Mr Pedro On _________"

That, and the link that I'm not clicking on for any donation amount, was the entirety of the email.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1340 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
I got this heartrending one today. Anyone want a Yorkie?

Hello,

How are you today? I hope this e-mail reaches you in a good mood. My name is Barbara Hower and I am a consultant gynecologist surgeon and oncologist doctor, I work for different prominent hospitals, my husband and I are giving out this little puppy for free adoption. This little girl weighs 1.3Lbs at 9 weeks old & should be 3Lbs when full grown only. She is very friendly with children she fits in both palms of your hands. She is an AKC/CERF registered puppy, adorable and and sociable with a great personality and very good bloodlines.

She is vet-checked, up to date on shots and deforming, and her health is guaranteed. She was recently checked by a licensed Vet Doctor for heart, knees, skin, correct bite, and eyes problems and there is no sign of any problem. Bottom and straight sides are tender and shots are given up to date.

She will come along with a travel crate, AKC/CERF Registered Papers, Toys and Food with her birth certificate, I used to reside in California with my husband but after my son's death. My husband and I moved to Africa due to our work and we have the puppy right here with us. You have to promise me that you will take good care of her as she will be a new family member. Please, if you are not going to take good care of the puppy, do not reply this e-mail.

If you are going to take good care of her, kindly reply for more details about her. I await your urgent Response.

Thanks & God Bless,

Barbara Hower.

What exactly is meant by "Bottom and straight sides are tender"? Is this in case I'm thinking of Yorkie barbeque?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1341 on: July 15, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
Nah, it's probably just because since she's "up to date on deforming," they want to let you know she might be a little sore after being squished.

(Okay, I assume that was autocorrect for "de-worming," but it was funny anyway!)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1342 on: July 15, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
Nah, it's probably just because since she's "up to date on deforming," they want to let you know she might be a little sore after being squished.

Perhaps she started out as a Pug before the deforming?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1343 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
This puppy deal is decidedly fishy to me.   

Why would anyone take a puppy to Africa and then put her up for adoption on the Internet?

I don't even want to think about the rigmarole of government regulations and the cost of this adoption. 

Also, may I ask what the death of the son has to do with anything?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1344 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
Oh, the poor puppy. I must save it from a horrible life in Africa. What? You need money for an export certificate? Oh, the rabies certificate isn't valid and you need money for a new one? The airline has an animal surcharge?

On the travel board where I hang out, we occasionally get spam like this:
original high-quality fake passports, driverís licenses, ID card

We are the best producer of quality fake documents. With over 12million of out documents circulating over the world. [email address]
We offer only original high-quality fake passports, driverís licenses, ID cards, stamps and other products for a number of countries like: USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italia, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom. This list is not full.
To get the additional information and place the order just visit our website or you contact us via email or mobile.
BUY FAKE PASSPORT BRITISH FOR SALE DIPLOMATIC CANADIAN FALSE ID CARD ONLINE UNITED STATES FAKE ID CARD SELL DRIVERS LICENSE
>> Contact e-mails: XXXXXXXX]
website;http://xxxxxxxxxx
Tell :+xxxxxxxxxxxx
feel free to contact via email or call at anytime.

This is a great racket. After they take your money and run, to whom do you complain that you never got the fake passport you ordered?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1345 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
This puppy deal is decidedly fishy to me.   

Why would anyone take a puppy to Africa and then put her up for adoption on the Internet?

I don't even want to think about the rigmarole of government regulations and the cost of this adoption. 

Also, may I ask what the death of the son has to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing, any more than the fact that the "owner" is a gynecologist at "different prominent hospitals".

As nutraxfornerves explains, the scam is that there is no puppy, but lots of "unexpected expenses" for delivery. I believe one of the scambaiter sites did one of these, where the target mentioned that they were going to use the puppy as the main ingredient in "Yorkie Jerky". Somehow, this did not put the concerned owner off one bit.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1346 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
I have no doubt that the 'puppy offer' is a scam. 

The sentence that the dog has been checked out by a 'Vet Doctor' was a dead give-away for me.  The mention of the deceased son was just a cue to start the violins. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1347 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
I was impressed that the Yorkie comes with her own birth certificate!  First time I've heard of a dog having an actual certificate of birth.   

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1348 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »
I was impressed that the Yorkie comes with her own birth certificate!  First time I've heard of a dog having an actual certificate of birth.

Yes, although real AKC papers are a birth certificate of sorts I suppose.

I was more impressed that the owner of the puppy is a "consultant gynecologist surgeon and oncologist doctor".  What the heck is that?  And wouldn't both oncologists and veterinarians both just call themselves that without the additional word doctor behind their specialties?  Wouldn't we assume that they are doctors?   ;D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1349 on: July 15, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
I did a bit of Googling. There seems to be a plethora of those puppies.

Jacqueline Jones, Cabana Tammy, Richard Walton, Johnston M. Wright, Banach Wuzzy, Tina Marry, Jessica Fawton, and Ansley Dolan, each one a "consultant Gynecologist Surgeon and Oncologist Doctor," all have puppies available. Different breeds, mostly in the US, not Africa.

Someone baited the good Dr. Wuzzy. http://skunkfeathers57.blogspot.com/2008/07/ill-be-dawggoned.html  He wanted $350 for the puppy.

In 2007, a TV station played with a scammer who said he was a Peace Corps volunteer inCameroon.
At first he says shipping will cost $480 dollars, but drops it to $280 dollars. Over the course of a week of e-mails we talk him down to $200 dollars, then $150 dollars and finally $100 dollars to ship a dog from Africa to San Francisco. We send him nothing.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data