News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 07:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2576503 times)

Thipu1

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1320 on: July 15, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
This puppy deal is decidedly fishy to me.   

Why would anyone take a puppy to Africa and then put her up for adoption on the Internet?

I don't even want to think about the rigmarole of government regulations and the cost of this adoption. 

Also, may I ask what the death of the son has to do with anything?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1321 on: July 15, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »
Oh, the poor puppy. I must save it from a horrible life in Africa. What? You need money for an export certificate? Oh, the rabies certificate isn't valid and you need money for a new one? The airline has an animal surcharge?

On the travel board where I hang out, we occasionally get spam like this:
original high-quality fake passports, driverís licenses, ID card

We are the best producer of quality fake documents. With over 12million of out documents circulating over the world. [email address]
We offer only original high-quality fake passports, driverís licenses, ID cards, stamps and other products for a number of countries like: USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italia, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom. This list is not full.
To get the additional information and place the order just visit our website or you contact us via email or mobile.
BUY FAKE PASSPORT BRITISH FOR SALE DIPLOMATIC CANADIAN FALSE ID CARD ONLINE UNITED STATES FAKE ID CARD SELL DRIVERS LICENSE
>> Contact e-mails: XXXXXXXX]
website;http://xxxxxxxxxx
Tell :+xxxxxxxxxxxx
feel free to contact via email or call at anytime.

This is a great racket. After they take your money and run, to whom do you complain that you never got the fake passport you ordered?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

« Reply #1322 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
This puppy deal is decidedly fishy to me.   

Why would anyone take a puppy to Africa and then put her up for adoption on the Internet?

I don't even want to think about the rigmarole of government regulations and the cost of this adoption. 

Also, may I ask what the death of the son has to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing, any more than the fact that the "owner" is a gynecologist at "different prominent hospitals".

As nutraxfornerves explains, the scam is that there is no puppy, but lots of "unexpected expenses" for delivery. I believe one of the scambaiter sites did one of these, where the target mentioned that they were going to use the puppy as the main ingredient in "Yorkie Jerky". Somehow, this did not put the concerned owner off one bit.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Thipu1

« Reply #1323 on: July 15, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »
I have no doubt that the 'puppy offer' is a scam. 

The sentence that the dog has been checked out by a 'Vet Doctor' was a dead give-away for me.  The mention of the deceased son was just a cue to start the violins. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #1324 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
I was impressed that the Yorkie comes with her own birth certificate!  First time I've heard of a dog having an actual certificate of birth.   

gramma dishes

« Reply #1325 on: July 15, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
I was impressed that the Yorkie comes with her own birth certificate!  First time I've heard of a dog having an actual certificate of birth.

Yes, although real AKC papers are a birth certificate of sorts I suppose.

I was more impressed that the owner of the puppy is a "consultant gynecologist surgeon and oncologist doctor".  What the heck is that?  And wouldn't both oncologists and veterinarians both just call themselves that without the additional word doctor behind their specialties?  Wouldn't we assume that they are doctors?   ;D

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1326 on: July 15, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
I did a bit of Googling. There seems to be a plethora of those puppies.

Jacqueline Jones, Cabana Tammy, Richard Walton, Johnston M. Wright, Banach Wuzzy, Tina Marry, Jessica Fawton, and Ansley Dolan, each one a "consultant Gynecologist Surgeon and Oncologist Doctor," all have puppies available. Different breeds, mostly in the US, not Africa.

Someone baited the good Dr. Wuzzy. http://skunkfeathers57.blogspot.com/2008/07/ill-be-dawggoned.html  He wanted $350 for the puppy.

In 2007, a TV station played with a scammer who said he was a Peace Corps volunteer inCameroon.
At first he says shipping will cost $480 dollars, but drops it to $280 dollars. Over the course of a week of e-mails we talk him down to $200 dollars, then $150 dollars and finally $100 dollars to ship a dog from Africa to San Francisco. We send him nothing.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

« Reply #1327 on: July 15, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »
Here's the link to the tale (tail?) of the Yorkie Jerky purveyor: http://www.scamorama.com/rayburn_long.html. (Be warned: although no Yorkies are actually harmed, the discussion gets a little ... surreal ... at the end.)
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #1328 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
So this was interesting:
I screened a message for the millionth time on my answering machine about how I have a "I've fallen and I can't get up"-type of system ready to be delivered to me. I snapped and picked it up. The voice said to press one. I pressed one...and was treated to classical music.  ??? Really? Start off by putting me on hold? FanTAStic. So after a few seconds of violins, a guy answers and gives me his name and i.d. number. He asks if this is the best number to reach me at if we get disconnected. Steeling myself, I say "yes but I want you to take me off your list, I do not need your product."
He says "Okay, we can do that. That's all you need to say." And then there is a click and dead air so I guess he hung up on me.
So...
yay.
I guess? ::)

Still annoying to have to go through all that to begin with (especially since I have been on the Do Not Call List for years), but they better keep their word and stop calling me.  >:(
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

PeterM

« Reply #1329 on: July 16, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
This is a great racket. After they take your money and run, to whom do you complain that you never got the fake passport you ordered?

The same people you complain to when your pot dealer gives you a bag of oregano, or when the hooker runs away with your cash.

"Sir, soliciting a prostitute is illegal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I could go with you and arrest her, if you like, but I'd also have to arrest you."

Actual quote from an actual cop I overheard dealing with an aggrieved citizen while walking to grad school one day in Boston. I'm convinced the cop saw me coming and spoke loudly so he wouldn't be the only witness to this guy's idiocy.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1330 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:18 AM »
Just got an email claiming to be from my country's tax authority, saying I'd had a generous amount of money deposited into my account and click on the link below to continue.

Except,
1) it's a month before tax season even starts, so I wouldn't be due any money yet anyway,
2) it's from an email address with ".com" at the end and I've had official emails from the tax authority before, and they always have a different email address, and
3) if there was a deposit "into my account", if they mean my bank account, I would have received a text notification about it, and if they somehow mean I have a tax account with the tax authority, I don't, all money due to or received from the tax authority is either into or out of my bank accound directly, no intermediatary account used.

Nice try.
Well, they're trying again. This time, after tax season has started.

The really funny thing this time around is that although the sending email address is now something sensible looking, the link to the web site they're asking me to click on is for something ludicrous like "tertramateobuuzrosario.com" (not the actual address, I fudged a few vowels for safety sake).

Pity that
a) Our online tax filing takes less than a couple of hours (from the time you submit your tax return to the point it's processed by the tax authority) and you get notified by text message that it's completed, and
b) I've already got my tax rebate for this year, directly into my bank account, no "authorising of transaction" required.
<3

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1331 on: July 16, 2013, 02:21:29 AM »
So this was interesting:
I screened a message for the millionth time on my answering machine about how I have a "I've fallen and I can't get up"-type of system ready to be delivered to me. I snapped and picked it up. The voice said to press one. I pressed one...and was treated to classical music.  ??? Really? Start off by putting me on hold? FanTAStic.

Once in a blue moon we'll get telemarketing calls from the US. Those always start with a recorded voice saying "Please hold..." I always immediately hang up on them. No, you called me, I'm not going to bother waiting for you to pick up.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

veryfluffy

« Reply #1332 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:08 AM »
I just had a new one from the "International Monitary Fund" -- offering to compensate me for having been scammed!

Dear Beneficiary,

This is to officially inform you that an ATM Card that worth USD $1.5Million (One Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) has been issued as a compensation payment for all the short listed 2011/2012 scam victims whose email address was recovered during the recent internet probing and investigation process.

Your email address & your name was found among the list so we are in no doubt believed that those syndicates must have collect money from you through their dubious criminal ways.

It was on these very recommendation that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in conjunction with the United State Government after series of meeting held came up with a sanction to all West African countries to compensate all the foreign victims with a payment benefit of $1.5Million (One Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) each in order to restore the Global Economy to the enviable standard of respectability.

Please note that upon receipt of your response we will process and send your ATM Card Payment and you will use it to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world, so if you like to receive your fund, contact the director in charge of the compensation payment at INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND SETTLEMENT CENTER Mr.Nelson Smith on his email address: (mrnelsonsmith55@gazeta.pl) and also send him the following information;

1. Full Name:
2. Phone Number:
3. Mailing Address:
4. Age and Sex:
5. Occupation:
6. Country:

If you need an urgent attention please email Mr.Nelson Smith on his direct-email address (mrnelsonsmith55@gazeta.pl) Your immediate compliance to this will expedite actions on your Payment because here in this office, we have a lot of listed victims to be settled.

Best Regards.

Mrs Anna Cooksey

shadowfox79

« Reply #1333 on: July 16, 2013, 07:39:41 AM »
The puppy email reminded me of my work colleague Dinah when she had just moved into her new house and decided she wanted a cat.

I had suggested a few shelters where she could adopt either a cat or a kitten, but she told me she wanted to buy a purebred Ragdoll and was searching online lists for one. The next I heard, she had been in contact with a bree-der from one of these lists and had made arrangements to buy a kitten, but they had told her she needed to send them five hundred pounds for all the travel and care costs. I bit back the voice that was screaming "HOW MUCH?!" and asked her if she was sure it wasn't a scam - yup, she was sure.

Right up until she had already sent them the money, when they then phoned her and told her if she wanted the kitten she had to send another three hundred pounds or it would die from lack of care.

She got the police involved at that point, but I don't think she ever got her £500 back. She did, however, manage to find a Ragdoll elsewhere.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1334 on: July 16, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »
condado del mar fabulous studio furnished including electricitywater condadoashford avepuerto ricoadvanced learning home schooling homework esl  st catharinesbedroom apartment in mission hill  alleghany st  modern  pets ok mission hill  alleghany sttownhouse westsidecharming concrete block house with option of  month lease st augustine shoresatp catless downpipe dodge neon srt  bostonreliable phpmysql web development  open source customization affordable  free estimatesthe very eloquent wedding man available to perform a lovely ceremony midtown westawesome deals up to  offcall today norcross lilburn gwinnett dream alcove studio sqno feeluxury dmssgranite kit marble ba midtown eastmaster carpet installation serviceslow pricessee my pics metro area=free estimatessalesservicegorgeous  bedr  bath  sf very upscale inside pinellas parkmovers `r` us    manhattansix on the boulevardgiant closetsdining rmsst month free dwntownmartini cornerhalloween party  for hr and friday only for  for hrs norwalkjunior networksystems administrator princeton njgreat price wonderful location and fantastic home glen burnie map

Got this one today - that's the entire text of the email, with the header "th garden ownstone unit wd in unit act quick hoboken fee".  (None of those place names are anywhere near me, by the way.)  It reads like someone copied and pasted the list of Craigslist headers or something.