News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 10:55:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2579801 times)

Twik

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1335 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
I presume that's from someone who wants to be a rental scammer, but doesn't know exactly how computers work.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Cami

« Reply #1336 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
The head of one of our departments, let's say the Beverage Department, lost the person in charge of the Tea Division shortly after her arrival. She CHOSE not to re-fill that position, but use the money to hire a go-fer for herself, saying that she would learn all there was to know about Tea and handle it herself.  Note that there are many of us here who have a good bit of expertise with Tea -- not enough to run the division, but enough to know what we're talking about and to be able to spot a lie a mile away.

Well, she then decided she didn't want to learn all about Tea. For reasons that elude all of us, except that we remind ourselves that we must be living in the prototype organization for Dilbert, TPTB decided that was fine and gave the Beverage Department additional monies to hire an outside consultant to handle the Tea Division.  She hires said consultant.

The rest of us quickly realize that the Tea consultant is a scammer who knows little about Tea, but can sell a good line of schtick like no one's business. The department head refuses to listen to us because scammer is a self-proclaimed expert and she trusts him.

We are now in a position where this scammer's incompetence has shut down Beverage operations for the entire organization every week for at least a year and beyond that cost, has recommended unnecessary purchases in the thousands.

But none of us know what we're talking about. We're all "Meanies" who are "jealous" of the scammer's "expertise."

And this folks, is how scammers keep on keeping on. There's a sucker born every minute.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:50:25 AM by Cami »

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1337 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
condado del mar fabulous studio furnished including electricitywater condadoashford avepuerto ricoadvanced learning home schooling homework esl  st catharinesbedroom apartment in mission hill  alleghany st  modern  pets ok mission hill  alleghany sttownhouse westsidecharming concrete block house with option of  month lease st augustine shoresatp catless downpipe dodge neon srt  bostonreliable phpmysql web development  open source customization affordable  free estimatesthe very eloquent wedding man available .....

That a rather inept attempt to evade mail server spam filters. They fill the message with lots of unrelated words or passages from books or something, then stick their URL in the middle. One way spam filters work is a complex system where known spam and unknown messages are compared. Wikipedia describes it (I removed a word that would probably trigger unwanted ads):  "Particular words have particular probabilities of occurring in spam email and in legitimate email. For instance, most email users will frequently encounter the word [pharmaceutical product] in spam email, but will seldom see it in other email. " By loading the message with crud, the spammer hopes ot evade the filter.

If you read your email in HTML, the URL will stand out & maybe you'll click on it. Could be an ad, could be a link to get you malware. Either this spammer forgot the URL or your email viewer didn't pick it up. It would look like this (the link I created goes to Google.)

ondado del mar fabulous studio furnished including electricitywater condadoashford avepuerto ricoadvanced learning home schooling homework esl  st catharinesbedroom apartment in mission hill  alleghany st  modern  pets ok mission hill  alleghany sttownhouse westsidecharming concrete block house with option of  month lease st IMPROVE YOUR LIFE NOW!!! augustine shoresatp catless downpipe dodge neon srt  bostonreliable phpmysql web development  open source customization affordable  free estimatesthe very eloquent wedding man available

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

gramma dishes

« Reply #1338 on: July 16, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
...    modern pets ok   ...

But ... but ... what if you have an old fashioned pet?   :-\

Twik

« Reply #1339 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
Sorry, we're an up-to-date rental. Persian cats are soooo last year, and we can't have that. We will, however, accept a Sphynx.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1340 on: July 16, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Sorry, we're an up-to-date rental. Persian cats are soooo last year, and we can't have that. We will, however, accept a Sphynx.

;D

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1341 on: July 16, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »
condado del mar fabulous studio furnished including electricitywater condadoashford avepuerto ricoadvanced learning home schooling homework esl  st catharinesbedroom apartment in mission hill  alleghany st  modern  pets ok mission hill  alleghany sttownhouse westsidecharming concrete block house with option of  month lease st augustine shoresatp catless downpipe dodge neon srt  bostonreliable phpmysql web development  open source customization affordable  free estimatesthe very eloquent wedding man available .....

That a rather inept attempt to evade mail server spam filters. They fill the message with lots of unrelated words or passages from books or something, then stick their URL in the middle. One way spam filters work is a complex system where known spam and unknown messages are compared. Wikipedia describes it (I removed a word that would probably trigger unwanted ads):  "Particular words have particular probabilities of occurring in spam email and in legitimate email. For instance, most email users will frequently encounter the word [pharmaceutical product] in spam email, but will seldom see it in other email. " By loading the message with crud, the spammer hopes ot evade the filter.

If you read your email in HTML, the URL will stand out & maybe you'll click on it. Could be an ad, could be a link to get you malware. Either this spammer forgot the URL or your email viewer didn't pick it up. It would look like this (the link I created goes to Google.)

ondado del mar fabulous studio furnished including electricitywater condadoashford avepuerto ricoadvanced learning home schooling homework esl  st catharinesbedroom apartment in mission hill  alleghany st  modern  pets ok mission hill  alleghany sttownhouse westsidecharming concrete block house with option of  month lease st IMPROVE YOUR LIFE NOW!!! augustine shoresatp catless downpipe dodge neon srt  bostonreliable phpmysql web development  open source customization affordable  free estimatesthe very eloquent wedding man available

I suspected it was something like this - I always restrict my email to text only, so I don't have to deal with the periodic security holes that pop up every once in a while with HTML emails.  (You *usually* won't get viruses from HTML-enabled emails . . . you *never* will with just text, unless you click on something.)  I figured either there were some pictures/HTML that got stripped out, or the scammer forgot the attachment.

The filter evasion worked, though - it did arrive in my regular inbox!

Stormtreader

« Reply #1342 on: July 17, 2013, 04:36:58 AM »
Did anyone else find they couldnt resist hovering over the link to see where it was pointing? :D

Iris

« Reply #1343 on: July 17, 2013, 05:23:31 AM »
Did anyone else find they couldnt resist hovering over the link to see where it was pointing? :D

Well NOW I did...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

caz

« Reply #1344 on: July 17, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »

Haha!  Me :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1345 on: July 17, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »

My note explaining the link was sort of buried in the post. Maybe I should have made it stand out more.

Nutrax

Twik

« Reply #1346 on: July 17, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
Well, this one is short, sweet, and rather mysterious:

Subject: hi
I am Ms Judith, I have a God calling proposal for you email: XXXXXXXXX@gmail.com for my details.

Are you there, God? It's me, Twik....

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #1347 on: July 17, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »

I am Ms Judith, I have a God calling proposal for you email: XXXXXXXXX@gmail.com for my details.

It doesn't say God, it says a God. So I wonder which one it is. Maybe Thor? Or Zeus? But I am betting it is Loki or Coyote.

Twik

« Reply #1348 on: July 17, 2013, 10:42:47 AM »
Maybe it's a god calling for a proposal?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1349 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »

It doesn't say God, it says a God. So I wonder which one it is. Maybe Thor? Or Zeus? But I am betting it is Loki or Coyote.

No, no! It's a God-calling proposal. Ms. Judith wants to hire you to telephone all the deities out there. Either that, or she's invented a new and improved God-call and needs help marketing it. Not sure how well it will sell, however, as the one in current use is free. You know, "prayer."

Nutrax