Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656552 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1425 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »
This one is as short as it is ridiculous:

My wife and I decided to donate the sum of $2,000,000.00 usd to you as part of our charity project,please see the link:http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/02/virginia-powerball-winner-dave-honeywell-identified-as-200-million-plus-winner[redacted]

Gee. You have just won 200 million dollars, and for charity you're going to give 1% of it to a completely unknown person, who isn't actually in much need of charity?

Send it to me - I could use it!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1426 on: July 26, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
The free plane ticket scam. This is from the Arizona Better Business Bureau

When consumers call the toll free number listed on either of the letters they are invited to attend a 90 minute presentation at Southwest Travel located at 4811 E Grant Rd STE 261 in Tucson. Callers are told that this promotion is sponsored by Southwest Travel and they aren't required to buy or join anything. Callers are told they are required to provide two forms of identification in order to attend the presentation: a photo I.D. and a major credit card.

Attendees are instructed to arrive 15 minutes prior to the presentation so they have time to fill out and sign a questionnaire. According to a questionnaire provided by a consumer, attendees are asked for their complete contact information, age, marital status, employment status, combined household income, citizenship, any travel benefits they currently use, and whether or not they presented a major credit card or debit card at the time of check in. The following disclaimer is included (in part): The purpose of your visit is to introduce you to our unique concept of travel by means of a personalized presentation. In order to receive your promotional gifts, all we request is 90 minutes of your time to attend an informative presentation describing the exciting vacation opportunities Southwest Travel has to offer. To extend our thanks for your participation today, you will receive one or more promotional certificate(s). Retail Value of this promotion varies between $1,100 to $3,100 depending on which destination you chose. Depending on the promotional gift certificate, traveler will be responsible for such expenses as taxes, deposits, transportation, gratuities and any applicable fees. Depending on the promotional certificate(s) offered, the deposits may be refundable or non-refundable.

[snip]
Consumers who have attended tell BBB that the program offered is a private travel club. The up front cost of the program is $8,995. Members pay a one time $399 "documentation fee" and an annual membership fee of $199. Other packages for lesser prices are offered, according to consumers. The presenter indicates that on average, members will recoup the cost of the membership after they've taken just three trips. Consumers say that if they have questions during the presentation they are encouraged to write their questions down to be answered by their appointed representative following the presentation. Consumers say that after sitting through the presentation they are required to wait before they can claim their airline vouchers and rebate certificates and other "gifts".

The sales pitch is for a so-called "travel club," which will save you a gazillion on travel costs in the future. People who fall for it discover that when they try to book something, it's not available, it is more expensive than booking elsewhere,  or the so-called "travel supplier" doesn't exist.  They also never get the free plane tickets.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1427 on: July 26, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
I don't think I've posted this here yet. Recently I had the frustrating experience of talking an elderly friend out of sending $45 that, according to a letter she received, would enable her to collect over $1 million in a raffle she hadn't even entered. She's in AZ, I'm in NJ, and the HQ's for this company was in Long Island. She wanted me to drive to LI to see if it was legit! She kept insisting.  :P

I looked up the company and found that it had so many lawsuits against it it was ridiculous. After showing her all kinds of proof that it was a scam, she reluctantly agreed to toss the letter. Sheesh.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1428 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
I got a gem in the mail today. It was one of those "security" mailers, where you have to tear off the ends to open it. On the front it said "Personal and Confidential" and "Do Not Bend. Check Enclosed." Right. Reputable companies always print "Hey thieves! Steal this one!" on their envelopes.

I opened it up and there was indeed a check inside, made out to me for $49,000. It took a minute but I finally found the "This is Not Negotiable" printed on the bottom.

It was attached to a notice that informed me that I was Guaranteed!!!! to win one of the following: A Porsche Boxter or $49,000; a swell Caribbean cruise or $2000; or $500. Not only that, but on arrival Huh? Arrival where? I'd get my choice of an Android tablet or a fabulous vacation in either Las Vegas or San Diego (they'll even pay the tax.)

I have to call some number within 72 hours Naturally, they know exactly when I will receive the mail to claim the prize.

I turned it over. On the back of the "check" there is even a place to endorse it. Below that, in about 1 point type, are the disclaimers. The offer is only for married couples or "couples similarly committed." You have to be between 35 and 75, and make at least US$50,000 per year. When you call, you will have to provide a valid credit card number.

You agree to attend a 90 minute presentation for, I'll call them, Swell Vacations. After you sit through it, you will be given a scratch-off card. You scratch 6 of the 36 squares to determine what you won. They go into all the legal stuff about the odds of winning each prize (that "guaranteed winner" does not seem to apply). If no one wins the car, they will hold a drawing for it.

I looked them up. They are selling you an opportunity to become a travel agent, so you can get travel agent discounts and access to timeshares. People said they got a hard sell to spend about $4000.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1429 on: August 02, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
This one's a little different, although still vastly amusing:

Hi,
I am Mr.[redacted] , Head of Luggage/Baggage storage facilities here at the Hartsfield-Jackson A t l
a n t a I n t er n a t i o n a l Airport U S A.

I am contacting you regarding to an abandoned consignment boxes in our storage facility and which the custom scan report of the boxes revealed an undisclosed sum of US dollar bill in it which could be approximately 3-4M dollars and the details of the consignment including your name are tagged on the Two Metal Trunk boxes.

The consignment boxes were abandoned here by a Diplomat from UK due to his inability to pay the required fee $2,300 for the Non-Inspection Fee which i am ready to pay it But I will require you give me 30% of the Fund once i deliever it and you take 70% before we proceed, Get Back if you are ready .

Mr.[redacted]
INSPECTION OFFICER

At least this one is a clear-cut offer of "I am a crook, and I hope you are too".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BarensMom

« Reply #1430 on: August 02, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
Yesterday we received an email from Lawyer Neil Christiansen stating that Engr, Robert Adler had mentioned us in his will.  Neither of us never heard of the man, so delete. 

lilfox

« Reply #1431 on: August 02, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
This one's a little different, although still vastly amusing:

Hi,
I am Mr.[redacted] , Head of Luggage/Baggage storage facilities here at the Hartsfield-Jackson A t l
a n t a I n t er n a t i o n a l Airport U S A.

I am contacting you regarding to an abandoned consignment boxes in our storage facility and which the custom scan report of the boxes revealed an undisclosed sum of US dollar bill in it which could be approximately 3-4M dollars and the details of the consignment including your name are tagged on the Two Metal Trunk boxes.

The consignment boxes were abandoned here by a Diplomat from UK due to his inability to pay the required fee $2,300 for the Non-Inspection Fee which i am ready to pay it But I will require you give me 30% of the Fund once i deliever it and you take 70% before we proceed, Get Back if you are ready .

Mr.[redacted]
INSPECTION OFFICER

At least this one is a clear-cut offer of "I am a crook, and I hope you are too".

Soooo, the boxes contain $X mil in cash but the owner of the boxes somehow couldn't come up with $2300?  Logic fail.  Should have gone with $X mil worth of diamonds/bonds/other non-cash valuables that Scammer would have happily converted to cash for your 70% cut.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1432 on: August 02, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »
Here's one from "United Nations Compensation Commission Unit"

Hello,Friend

We wish to congratulate and inform you that after thorough review of all unclaimed funds, contract, inheritance or lottery
 funds, your payment file has finally been forwarded to us for review and immediate payment of your long delayed funds
 starting with a first compensation transfer of US$2,500,000.00 to your bank account in your country.

The Audit reports show that you have been going through hard times by paying a lot of money to dubious officials for the
 release of your funds.
 We therefore advice that you stop further communication with any correspondence outside this office because you  receive your
 funds True us only from united nations.
Well, if you can't trust the united nations, who can you trust?  ???
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1433 on: August 02, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
I wonder what a Non-Inspection Fee is? A remittance for doing a non-inspection? Or simply a bribe not to inspect dubious cargo?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #1434 on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
This story probably belongs in a thread titled “What was I thinking?”  It happened a long time ago, and I’m still puzzled by it.

Boyfriend and I were about to enter our apartment building, which was next to a bus stop.  The weather was frightful, and it was starting to snow heavily.  We were approached by a young couple who seemed fairly normal, albeit miserable.  They said that the buses had stopped running, and could they come in and use our phone (before cell phones) to call a friend to pick them up.  We agreed.

Once inside, the couple started making phone calls, but they were just chatting away and didn’t actually ask anyone to come get them.  They asked for refreshments and bummed cigarettes.  They seemed to be having a good time and showed no signs of planning to leave.  Eventually the guy mentioned that he’d just gotten out of jail after serving time for “busting open the change machine at RoboWash”. 

At that point, we started strongly urging them to leave, and they did so pleasantly.

It was just weird.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #1435 on: August 02, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
I'm about 99.44% sure that I had a scammer come to my door yesterday.  The only reason I have that sliver of doubt is that I wasn't home (still at work) and it was relayed to me by my 12yo twins.

Seems a fellow came to the door stating that he was from [local utility company] and he really needed to talk to me about the fact that the bill hadn't been paid.  Unsurprisingly, he didn't return at the time the kids suggested that he return.

Seriously, I know the way this works--if you were *actually* behind, first you get the bill with the "past due" stamped on it.  Then some nasty-grams.  They don't send anyone to the house unless they are ready to actually disconnect the services, but they'd have sent several notices before that happens.  Given that the last bill arrived middle of last month w/o any such markers, I know I'm not behind.  I'd really know for sure he was a scammer if he said that I needed to pay up w/ cash.

Unfortunately, the 12yos were not observant enough to get a good enough description to call the police with.  However, on further questioning, I learned that there was not a [local utility company] vehicle in front of the house when this guy was at the door.

Have to admit I am a little disappointed that he didn't come back.  I was all set to talk to him while the older teen would be calling the police so that they'd be able to come by while the guy was still at my door.

Of course, I have since explained to my kids the markers that identify a legit employee of [local utility company], and that if there's a next time, to get a little more identifying info and to get the cops called.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1436 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »

...   Of course, I have since explained to my kids the markers that identify a legit employee of [local utility company], and that if there's a next time, to get a little more identifying info and to get the cops called.

Or better yet, don't open the door!

Minmom3

« Reply #1437 on: August 03, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
Having been IN the house one day when the company DID come to turn it off - they walked right up to the breaker box outside and 'CLUNK' and my power was OFF.  There was a van outside, but no door knock, no personal contact at all until I raced out the back door to find out what the heck happened.

What the heck happened was DH cut it a tad close when it came to paying the bill late....  Seriously annoying habit of his.   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

norrina

« Reply #1438 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
A wealthy widow wants to give me 10% of the $5.5mm her dear late husband left her, just for distributing the other 90% to charity. She found me  through "[her] husband internet dater," whatever that is. I need to figure ou how to capitalize on this "husband Internet dater" thing!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1439 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

Ok, THIS showed up on my Google calendar.  I do not play the lottery, do not live in the country mentioned.  I am ignoring it, but should I report it??!?

Calendar   
klissandre.908@gmail.com
Description   
Lotto Max Lottery
http://www.lottomax.com/

!!!!! WINNING NOTIFICATION!!!!!
Dear Lucky Winner,
On the milestone of our 21st anniversary, we're celebrating the most important part of Lotto Max lottery. We are happy to notify you of the computer email balloting system drawn in our online bonanza from the prestigious LOTTO MAX ANNIVERSARY EMAIL DRAWN PROMOTION, 2013.

Your email is one of the Lucky winners of the sum of €850,000.00 (Eight hundred and fifty thousand Euro) held in London, UK. 21st of May 2013, This is to let you know that this online world e-mail draws was conducted from an exclusive list of 25,000 company e-mail addresses about 30,000 individual e-mail addresses from over 40 networks and corporate bodies picked by an advanced automated random computer selection from the web. We are delighted to inform you that your e-mail addresses with your on-line
1. WINNING TICKET NUMBER; LMXD/2013-123/12345
2. BATCH NUMBER: xx-1234/1234567

These are your winning details which won you this lottery in the 2nd category, from the Lotto Max lottery incorporated program.
Lotto Max lottery is fully based on an electronic selection of winners using their e-mail addresses , you are therefore been approved to claim a total sum of (€850,000.00) credited To the above Batch Number and Ticket Number which payment falls under our Africa Regional Payment Centre

To proceed for your winning, you are to contact Lotto Max Africa Regional Claiming Centre, so as to clarity you on how to receive you’re winning Prize.

*** Lotto Max Regional payment head office centre
**** Email: claimers.center@sify.com

Dr. Kliss Andre,
On-line Ticket coordinator
Lotto Max Lottery

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.