Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 606117 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1515 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
I received a fascinating spam email today.

Malekal.com is a legitimate French language internet security site.  A malware spammer is trying to get malekal.com shut down by spamming people who are known to report spam emails while spoofing Malekal.coms email address.  The email reads:

Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:35:33 +0300 [08/18/13 07:35:33 EDT]
    Subject:      Email SPAM for malekal.com

Theses emails SPAM are sent from a botnet (check the mails headers), im not
    responsible of theses spam emails.
    Someone is probably trying to get the site blacklisted or to get bad reputation
    (called this "a Joe Job" - see :
    h ttp://blog.dynamoo.com/2013/08/malekalcom-joe-job.html )

The responsible is " Reveton Guy ", try to get revenge after a mass shutdown of
    their malvertising :

h ttp://www.malekal.com/2013/07/30/en-juicyads-reveton-malvertising/
    h ttp://www.malekal.com/2013/07/28/en-plugrush-reveton-malvertising/
    h ttp://www.malekal.com/2013/07/26/en-reveton-adxpansion-com-malvertising/

The August 11, they tried to get my website blacklisted using hacked website :
    h ttp://www.malekal.com/2013/08/12/en-reveton-go-now-by-hacked-website/

So, the spammers are trying to get a site shut down by letting the people who they are sending the spam know that they are spoofing the site's email address.  It makes my head hurt.  It's almost professional darwinism.

KB

« Reply #1516 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:59 AM »
Layla, we had them in our neighborhood last year.  Technically they are not scamming, because if you do place an order with them you will receive the books you ordered.  The books you ordered will be poor in terms of their educational value, and you will have paid quite a bit for them, and if you aren't good at saying "no" to them, they will try to weasel all sorts of personal information about you and your family out of you.  Our neighborhood Facebook page tracked them through our neighborhood (someone would post that they had just been to her house, and then someone else would post that they were now on XX Street, etc.).  I read the same things about the company that you did and I don't like their sales techniques (a couple of my neighbors who aren't good at saying "no" couldn't get them out of their house for an hour!).  Our local police asked us to just contact them when the sales people showed up, so that they could chase them away for us.

Ah, thanks.  I did call the police department, and they told me he had registered at City Hall, so that made me feel better, too.  This guy was actually pretty good about taking "no" for an answer, fortunately.  I think I must have pretty good body language/expression/whatever, though, because I don't usually have much trouble with salesmen and other high pressure types.  :)

I remember reading about them, the person who wrote about it on his blog said that the representative tried to pass herself as someone from the school/school district administration, lied a boatload, showed him one example in the book that amounted to "cow eat grass, then, magic, you get milk" and tried to pressure him asking about his neighbors, if they had kids, what age (same way she got info on his kids, from a well meaning neighbor).

If we're talking about Southwestern, there is a long thread about them here:

http://somedayallthis.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/the-southwestern-company-door-to-door-deception/

Worth reading if you have concerns - and definitely worth keeping an eye on your bank accounts!

norrina

« Reply #1517 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what their scam is, but someone just tred to post the following to my blog (I have to approve all comments):
"Hi there, Cool submit. Likely to trouble with your site with internet internet explorer, might click here? IE is still the marketplace leader in addition to a large percentage of men and women will leave out there spectacular creating just for this dilemma."

Dude, do you even English?

weeblewobble

« Reply #1518 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
DH got annoyed with me yesterday because I told him a car he found on Craigslist was a scam. He sent me an email from work telling me to email about this car RIGHT AWAY because it was such a fantastic deal. I clicked the link and it's a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L (or whatever the very top of the line version was) with 81k miles for $2067. The headline was written

=======like!======this!======

and it mentioned in at least three different places that it was a 3 liter engine. There was also a gmail address in the body of the text, which is not usual around here. I looked up the Kelly Blue Book value of the car and it was over $10k. I emailed him back and told him I thought that was a scam. He got annoyed with me and said that it wouldn't hurt to email, and I could just make a throwaway email address and use that. I didn't reply since I had just gotten the baby to sleep and that's when I work out, plus making a throwaway email address for an ad I knew was a scam was more work than I was willing to do. After I finished working out, I went back and clicked the link again and lo and behold, it had been flagged for removal.

I emailed DH and told him, and also told him a few things that are red flags for scams. The weird price, the excessive punctuation, restating a random piece of information over and over, the gmail address in the body of the ad, the fact that it was ridiculously cheap, etc. He replied that of course I could say that now, I had hindsight. I said no, these were immediate red flags for me and they should be for you, too. Later on when he was at home he saw a car priced at $2515 and said "I wonder if this is a scam too." After looking at the ad (almost no info, Yahoo email address in the body) I said probably. He thinks we should give these ads the benefit of the doubt, as "what if they just really need money?" I said "yeah, and what if the car is stolen?" He had no response for that.

We moved to a new state, new part of the country, when my dh took a job here (we are midwesterners transplanted to the Deep South.) I took to craigslist to check out housing options and would send them to my dh. (He moved down while I took care of odds and ends and got our house ready for sale.) I quickly learned that anything below $600/month/rental was a scam or a house with out central air.  I had emailed about a house (via the craigslist reply button) and received an email back that the house I was looking at was rented, but if I'd fill out the attached form and email it back, they'd add me to their list and let me know when new houses become available.

The information requested: Names, DOB, SS #, address, birth city, etc. Stuff that you'd need to fill out for a credit check, but heck no I'm not sending that out when 1.  I have no idea who I'm actually emailing and 2. I've not even looked at a house.

Oh and after looking at a few ads on CL for rentals, I discovered that a lot of the "rentals available" had the same pictures.

I am helping my mom find a rental property through Craigslist.  One listing showed a beautiful three bedroom home in a nice neighborhood.  The "owner" claimed to be overseas for work (in Nigeria) and stated that he would not allow potential renters to see the inside of the house until we sent him an application including DOB, Social Security #, etc., PLUS a $1,000 check.  When we sent those items, he would send us a key.

So... we're supposed to send you money and personal information to rent a house which we have not seen the inside of, and we have no real proof that you have any authority to rent this place out?

No.

Goosey

« Reply #1519 on: August 22, 2013, 10:40:07 AM »
I just got a scam text message.  >:(

It feels like stalking - you can't get away from it! Mail, email, phone... they're everywhere!

Shalamar

« Reply #1520 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
I did, too!  My text said something like "Hey, Shallimer (yup, botched my name), here's that site I was telling you about.  Lots of hotties there!  It's even better than (site I've never heard of)!" 

Gosh, thanks, stranger!  I'll get right on that!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1521 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
I get a lot of calls on my cell phone from a few 866 area code numbers. I always answer them, but usually there is just dead air. Today, I answered one and they introduced themselves and their company and asked for Antonious. I have never heard of this person or company, and I have had this number for more than a decade!

MyFamily

« Reply #1522 on: August 22, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »

It feels like stalking - you can't get away from it! Mail, email, phone... they're everywhere!

The person who had my cell phone number before me (and I had the number for 10 years) was still giving out the number and using it for things; so I was getting tons of spam texts on my phone.  I finally broke down and just got a new number this summer.  I couldn't stand it anymore. 

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1523 on: August 22, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what their scam is, but someone just tred to post the following to my blog (I have to approve all comments):
"Hi there, Cool submit. Likely to trouble with your site with internet internet explorer, might click here? IE is still the marketplace leader in addition to a large percentage of men and women will leave out there spectacular creating just for this dilemma."

Dude, do you even English?
He not English as goodly as him, think.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1524 on: August 22, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »

The person who had my cell phone number before me (and I had the number for 10 years) was still giving out the number and using it for things; so I was getting tons of spam texts on my phone.  I finally broke down and just got a new number this summer.  I couldn't stand it anymore.

Same here, but I only lasted a year before I changed my number. She was applying for credit she had no intention of paying and checking out movies from Family Video she had no intention of returning. I got some less-than-polite phone calls from collectors who practically accused me of lying when I said I didn't know the person they were calling for.

hjaye

« Reply #1525 on: August 22, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
I did, too!  My text said something like "Hey, Shallimer (yup, botched my name), here's that site I was telling you about.  Lots of hotties there!  It's even better than (site I've never heard of)!" 

I was sitting at my computer showing my wife something, and I got a spam IM, in my yahoo IM client.  It said something along the line of hi, it's me, I've got some new pictures to show you, I hope you like them.  IM me and tell me how you like them.

I get a few of those a week and I just report them as spam and delete.  I know it doesn't do much good.  So I did that, and of course my wife was wondering who is that person, what pictures does she want to show you, how do you know her, why did you close the chat window so quickly.......

I explained to her it was just spam, but it took a little while to convince her.  Thankfully when I mentioned it to her daughter, and then her son, they immediately began telling us about all the spam they get in their IM, and then I got a few more sent to me.  I made sure to leave them up to show her how it really was pretty generic, and how even though they were from supposedly different people, they all said pretty much the same thing.

o_gal

« Reply #1526 on: August 23, 2013, 07:34:33 AM »

I was sitting at my computer showing my wife something, and I got a spam IM, in my yahoo IM client.

FYI, there is a term for spam in IM - it's "spim". You're been spimmed :-)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1527 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
When DH's car was totaled from a texting drunk driver   :o :o, we used Craig's List to find a "new" car.  I learned pretty quickly that any with a story of,"getting deployed overseas, will take another few hundred off already super way low price if you send money now!" were scams.
I did get one on the phone somehow, and he could not answer the most basic of questions.  If I had more time, I would have done more than just click "spam."

As for the door-to-door book salespeople, I actually invited them in, with DH at home.

Why?  well, I am a collector of sorts of children's books, and a teacher, and I married a reader, also.  So we have more books than bookshelves, and still have a full encyclopedia set.

I had the person come in to show her that I was NOT in need of her products, and she agreed!  She said ours was the first home she had seen with so many books.  I would beg to differ, but she got the point that I can find my own books.

This was before e-books, and I have tried to pare down since then.  But I keep finding books at yardsales, and they are so good!

Anyway,
I also got another Google invite spam.  Arghg!

And, on my phone, every now and then, I get a text that says something like, "VZM 3486."

Anyone know what that means?

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Jones

« Reply #1528 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »
This is in my hometown.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/utah-mom-allegedly-faked-daughters-cancer-collect-donations-100110030.html
The reason this all came to light is that the woman would text her ex for money to take the daughter to "treatments" out of state. It was always after a supposed treatment had happened, so he couldn't come along. He became suspicious as he never saw any actual billings hit his insurance, which covered  his children.

There is, of course, more to the story than is in that article. Like, her first daughter (now age 11) had leukemia, so everyone felt very sad that her second child now had it. (From what I've heard, DCFS are now investigating to make sure the older daughter did have leukemia, that hers wasn't faked as well.)

Also, the younger child, age 4, was firmly of the belief she had leukemia; she cried when she was told she was healthy. Her hair had been thinning, they are looking into whether this sorry excuse for a mother was giving her child medicine to fake the cancer, or thinning it with a tiny clipper, or what. There were pictures everywhere of the child in what looks like a hospital room, wearing the smock, sitting on a hospital bed. I hope that little girl grows up psychologically healthy...being told you are possibly dying at a young age cannot be healthy.

The community has boycotted the trendy clothing store this woman owns. Perhaps this should be in the PD thread as well.

ETA: Here's the local news article that talks about her older daughter.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=26433288&nid=481
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:01:57 AM by Jones »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1529 on: August 23, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
I am heartbroken. The worst incident of Munchausen by proxy I have heard of.