Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713308 times)

Chip2

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1530 on: August 23, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »
There's one intersection on my way to work that is the regular haunt of a rotating series of beggars.  There's even a couple of paths worn in the grass from people walking up and down the turn lanes, holding their handmade signs.  I've wondered if they know each other, is there a sign-up sheet or appointment book, do drivers keep handing out money when there is a beggar out there 4 days out of 5?   ???

Went by one intersection where the (neatly lettered) sign of choice was, "I'll be honest - I just want a cold beer." The guy looked (way) over 21, and I had a fresh six-pack in the car, so I gave him a cold beer. He was very appreciative.  8)

snowdragon

« Reply #1531 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
I am heartbroken. The worst incident of Munchausen by proxy I have heard of.

If it turns out that she gave the kids meds to fake cancer, then  this actually sounds like she stole the idea from Law & Order: SUV ( http://www.tv.com/shows/law-order-special-victims-unit/sick-303036/)

nuit93

« Reply #1532 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »

And, on my phone, every now and then, I get a text that says something like, "VZM 3486."

Anyone know what that means?

Do you have Verizon, by any chance?

Carotte

« Reply #1533 on: August 23, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »

If it turns out that she gave the kids meds to fake cancer, then  this actually sounds like she stole the idea from Law & Order: SUV ( http://www.tv.com/shows/law-order-special-victims-unit/sick-303036/)

Also sadly not the first time it happened, I vaguely remember a similar story of a mother faking her little girls 'cancer', cuting her hair when she was sleeping and giving her sleeping pills so that she didn't remember being in the hospital, just going to it.
That was several years ago, I just remember it was in the USA.
And all to rack up major $$$.  :-\

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1534 on: August 23, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »

Also sadly not the first time it happened, I vaguely remember a similar story of a mother faking her little girls 'cancer', cuting her hair when she was sleeping and giving her sleeping pills so that she didn't remember being in the hospital, just going to it.
That was several years ago, I just remember it was in the USA.
And all to rack up major $$$.  :-\

There was a case in Michigan a few years ago (5?), but the child was a boy.  Mother ended up doing time, and lost custody.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

faithlessone

« Reply #1535 on: August 23, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »

It's not a new idea. There are several autobiographies out there of children who grew up taking "medication" which was making them sick. Sad, but true. :(

mumma to KMC

« Reply #1536 on: August 23, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
I just got a scam text message.  >:(

It feels like stalking - you can't get away from it! Mail, email, phone... they're everywhere!

The person who had my cell phone number before me (and I had the number for 10 years) was still giving out the number and using it for things; so I was getting tons of spam texts on my phone.  I finally broke down and just got a new number this summer.  I couldn't stand it anymore.

Same here, but I only lasted a year before I changed my number. She was applying for credit she had no intention of paying and checking out movies from Family Video she had no intention of returning. I got some less-than-polite phone calls from collectors who practically accused me of lying when I said I didn't know the person they were calling for.

I may have posted this before, but when we had our land line (for internet) we used to get calls frequently for a family and it was almost always collections calls. One call included a death threat, when I told a man that he was not to call here ever again. (Yes, I called the police, they couldn't do anything.) I just figured it was their old number and the calls would stop as I told people we weren't the X family.

Nope, the calls kept coming.

I once got a call from a bail bondsman asking for one of the members of the X family. I asked the woman on the end of the line when she was given the number, she told me the week prior. We had the number for nearly a year at that point.

Sadly there was nothing we could do about it either. We finally ended up switching ISPs and ditched the landline in the process. 

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1537 on: August 23, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Our little church is getting calls from Kevin with Public Pages saying that our interim pastor last year approved their $799 listing - obviously one of the scams discussed earlier where they record the phone call and rearrange it so that a "yes" is made to sound like an approval of their sale.

So not happening.

The new pastor e-mailed several of us on the board and asked for advice. One of the other members is already contacting the state's attorney general's office and the local Better Business Bureau.

My suggestion was, the next time Kevin calls, was to ask him how he can sleep at night knowing that he is trying to take advantage of a small church! And then offer to pray with him over the phone. I think Kevin will take our names off the list real quick-like.  >:D

Forgive me, Jesus.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1538 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »
I just got a baffling spim... "?1rozr0ei yosb ry 0ayepa y"

No idea.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1539 on: August 23, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »

Sadly not the worst I've ever heard of. Some children die due to what their caregivers do to them to induce 'symptoms'. :'(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Otterpop

« Reply #1540 on: August 23, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
I just got a scam text message.  >:(

It feels like stalking - you can't get away from it! Mail, email, phone... they're everywhere!

The person who had my cell phone number before me (and I had the number for 10 years) was still giving out the number and using it for things; so I was getting tons of spam texts on my phone.  I finally broke down and just got a new number this summer.  I couldn't stand it anymore.

Same here, but I only lasted a year before I changed my number. She was applying for credit she had no intention of paying and checking out movies from Family Video she had no intention of returning. I got some less-than-polite phone calls from collectors who practically accused me of lying when I said I didn't know the person they were calling for.

I may have posted this before, but when we had our land line (for internet) we used to get calls frequently for a family and it was almost always collections calls. One call included a death threat, when I told a man that he was not to call here ever again. (Yes, I called the police, they couldn't do anything.) I just figured it was their old number and the calls would stop as I told people we weren't the X family.

Nope, the calls kept coming.

I once got a call from a bail bondsman asking for one of the members of the X family. I asked the woman on the end of the line when she was given the number, she told me the week prior. We had the number for nearly a year at that point.

Sadly there was nothing we could do about it either. We finally ended up switching ISPs and ditched the landline in the process.

I kept getting collect calls from a man in prison :o.  He was trying to reach "Yvonne" and kept yelling into the answering machine "Yvonne I KNOW you're there!  Answer the phone.  Answer the G D phone!"  After several days of screening calls like this I picked up the phone and told time there was no "Yvonne" here.  I just got this number.  He apologized but then started quizzing me on who I was.  I said "a total stranger and you're harassing me" then hung up.  Never got another call, but I was charged for the one I picked up (worth it).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:26:32 PM by Otterpop »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1541 on: August 23, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
A bit O/T, but I work at a university and began receiving calls from a prison a few hours away. I couldn't call the number back and the messages were garbled.

It turned out that a staff member at the prison was calling about her classes, and instead of using her mobile phone she called from the prison line.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1542 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »

And, on my phone, every now and then, I get a text that says something like, "VZM 3486."

nuit93,
Yes, I do have Verizon.  Any idea what they are trying to tell me?  Why would they send me numbers that mean nothing to me?  Or, is it spam?
Thanks!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

nuit93

« Reply #1543 on: August 23, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »

nuit93,
Yes, I do have Verizon.  Any idea what they are trying to tell me?  Why would they send me numbers that mean nothing to me?  Or, is it spam?
Thanks!

I just remember getting the occasional message from them that started with VZM.  Usually there'd be more than just a number though.

cwm

« Reply #1544 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »

nuit93,
Thanks!

I just remember getting the occasional message from them that started with VZM.  Usually there'd be more than just a number though.

And my browser just deleted everything I'd written. Starting again...

Verizon usually sends me two types of notifications. ones that start with the VZM are usually ads or extra services you can sign up for (Pay $$ to watch the Super Bowl on your phone! Join our fantasy football league with this exclusive app for only $!), or ones that come from a long string of numbers (possibly an 800 number? I never looked too closely) that are notifications about my account (letting me know the password on the website has been changed, when a bill is available to look over or has been paid).

I would say if there's nothing in the body of the text, it's not a big deal to just get rid of it. I've never had anything important come from one of the VZW #### accounts.