Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 661120 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1560 on: August 29, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
I just got a phone call on our home phone and the caller ID said it was *unavailable* at this number (786).

I heard voices in the background and then a man starting talking:

Him: Am I speaking to *Amethyst*
Me: This is *Amethyst*
Him: how are you?
Me: I'm fine. Who is this?
Him: *mumblemumble* from *mumblemumble*.  I'm calling to inform you that your computer is filled with viruses
Me: <laughing out loud>Really?
Him: <sounding sincere> yes, it is.
Me: That's really funny because I haven't turned on my computer for a month and a half. <click>

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1561 on: August 29, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
I haven't been answering unidentified calls for several months, and finally convinced Lucas not to do that a couple of months ago. With fingers crossed, I have to say I think it is working. Maybe robocallers have an automatic skip after so many unanswered calls? Is technology that good now?

I just checked my caller ID missed calls, and there were only 3 in the past 4 days, and my cell phone only had one. Even that home security company from Washington state, who used call 3 times a week, finally hasn't called.

Someone called last Saturday, and I answered it from habit. Fortunately, it was a real person who started his speal, and I said (really! I did!), "Seriously, Dude? It's Saturday." He apologized and hung up. (Second time I've said that word as a name in the last 22 years!)

Of course, during election season, I don't think it will work.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1562 on: August 30, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »
Just got a call from the "Reclaim department from the Australian Federal Govenment". He didnt get any further than that, as I told home exactly what I thought of him taking money off old and vulnerable people and told him to never call again.

They're not even trying, if they actually said some sort of government department then I'd probably would have listened.

magicdomino

« Reply #1563 on: August 30, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
Oh noes, the FBI is after me!  It has legal citations, so it must be true.

I am Special Agent Jason Gale from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Intelligence Field Unit, we Intercepted two consignment boxes at JFK Airport, New York, the boxes were scanned but found out that it contained large sum of money ($4.1 million) and also some backup documents which bears your name as the Beneficiary/Receiver of the money, Investigation carried out on the diplomat that accompanied the boxes into the United States, said that he was to deliver the fund to your residence as overdue payment owed to you by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the security company in the United Kingdom.
Meanwhile, we cross check all legal documents in the boxes but we found out that your consignment was lacking an important document and we cannot release the boxes to the diplomat until the document is found, right now we have no other choice than to confiscated your consignment.
According to Internal Revenue Code (IRC) in Title 26 also contain reporting requirement on a Form 8300, Report of Cash Payment Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business, money laundering activity may violate 18 USC 1956, 18 USC 1957, 18 USC 1960, and provision of Title 31, and 26 USC 6050I of the United States Code (USC), this section will discuss only those money laundering and currency violation under the jurisdiction of IRS, your consignment lacks proof of ownership certificate from the joint team of IRS and IRC, therefore you need to reply back immediately for direction on how to procure this certificate to enable us relieved the charge of evading the law on you, which is a punishable offense in the United States.
You are required to reply back within 72hours or you will be prosecuted in a court of law for money laundering, also you are instructed to desist from further contact with any bank(s) or person(s) in Nigeria or the United kingdom or any part of the world regarding your payment because your consignment has been confiscated by the Federal Bureau here in the United States.
Yours In Service,
Agent Jason Gale
Regional Deputy Director
Intelligence Field Unit

Oddly, Agent Jason Gale has a Nigerian email address instead of a .gov one.  Yeah, I'm just trembling with terror.   8)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1564 on: August 30, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
I'm afraid one of my kids is a little scammer in the making.  I hope I was able to show her it never really works! 

BG: We were at Target one day and I got the kids their school backpacks.  As we were leaving, the security gates went off.  No one ever came over to investigate but I made sure the kids didn't accidentally have anything in their hands or pockets (they didn't.)  Of course, I had the receipt for everything in our bag, so we went on our merry way.  At home, I discovered one of those square security label things and I figure it was either supposed to be removed or disabled in some way and wasn't.  The kids were very concerned about the whole "gates going off" thing but I told that sometimes they do and as long as you aren't actually stealing anything, it's not a big deal because you'll have a receipt showing proof of payment.

So in the car the other day, DD8 (who has obviously been mulling this over) said, "Mom, I know how you can get past the gates!"

Me:  ??? Oh?  How?

DD8: Well, you just buy something.  Then you go back later and steal the same thing but bring your receipt.  Then when the gates go off, you just say, "Oh, it's okay, I have a receipt right here!" and then you have two things!

Me:  :o  Well, that sounds like it would work but every receipt has the date and time stamped on it.  The security guard would know you're lying.

DD8:  Oh.  I guess I didn't think of that.

Me:   :o  Well, please remember that stealing is ALWAYS wrong* and you will eventually get caught and it's really not ever worth it.  Dad and I will be extremely disappointed if we ever find out you're doing something like that.  (then I went into how it seems harmless but it really hurts everyone, yadda yadda yadda...)

She's a really good kid and I doubt she ever would steal anything.  She likes a good puzzle and went about solving the problem of security gates. But her logic scared me a little, LOL.

*I know there are circumstances where this could be debated but I didn't need to get into semantics with an 8-year old with a plan to successfully boost merchandise...

For some reason, when I ride the subway, I spend my down time trying to figure out how one could avoid paying the toll. It's not that I want to do so - it's the challenge of figuring out the scheme, even as a thought experiment.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #1565 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
So, I take it no one on here has ever played "The perfect murder". It's a great game. All hypothetical of course.
The alternative (and slightly less macabre) is the "How to plan the perfect robbery."
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

cwm

« Reply #1566 on: August 30, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
So, I take it no one on here has ever played "The perfect murder". It's a great game. All hypothetical of course.
The alternative (and slightly less macabre) is the "How to plan the perfect robbery."

My sister and I play "The perfect murder" all the time. Sometimes the robbery, but not often.

Even more creepy is her sizable collection of books on serial killers prominently displayed on her bookcase.

Is it odd that I find it easier to plan the perfect murder rather than a robbery?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1567 on: August 30, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
We were meeting some neighbors, and getting a tour of their house. When we got to the husband's study, I looked at a clown painting and said, "Is that a Gacy?"

It was, and I scored big points with him by recognizing it.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1568 on: August 30, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »

My sister and I play "The perfect murder" all the time. Sometimes the robbery, but not often.

Even more creepy is her sizable collection of books on serial killers prominently displayed on her bookcase.

Is it odd that I find it easier to plan the perfect murder rather than a robbery?

No. It isn't odd at all because the only real motive for a robbery is greed while a murder can have any number of motives. 

When a friend and I were writing our mystery nights we tried a story about a jewel theft.  It worked, but only just.  Murder gave us a lot more to work with and we had a lot more fun setting things out and fabricating clues.   

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #1569 on: August 30, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
We were meeting some neighbors, and getting a tour of their house. When we got to the husband's study, I looked at a clown painting and said, "Is that a Gacy?"

In all honesty, I think that might belong in the gross out thread.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

snowfire

« Reply #1570 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
Clowns AND Gacy? THAT pegged the creep-o-meter!

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #1571 on: August 30, 2013, 11:38:37 PM »
I once got a call at 5:30 am from some guy who wanted to talk about my credit.  I had a hard time understanding him because it was 5:30 and he woke me up but also he had a thick accent.  When I finally understood what he was saying, I told him, "I don't want to talk to you about my credit!  And especially not at 5:30 in the freaking morning!"  He never called back.  Yes, I did use "freaking", so I didn't use profanity.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1572 on: August 31, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
This morning's e-mail-
from Khama-
ok.

Dear, I am presently in a refugee camp in Burkina Faso, I write to know if you can provide a bank account for receipt of $5million at your end, your cooperation will be compensated. Till I hear from you.

That was it.  No other words or anything.

I better get hopping on getting him or her that bank account!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1573 on: August 31, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »

This morning's e-mail-
from Khama-
ok.

Dear, I am presently in a refugee camp in Burkina Faso, I write to know if you can provide a bank account for receipt of $5million at your end, your cooperation will be compensated. Till I hear from you.

That was it.  No other words or anything.

I better get hopping on getting him or her that bank account!

Am I the only one who read the name of the sender as Karma and thought, "Well, THAT'S ironic!"   ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1574 on: August 31, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »

In all honesty, I think that might belong in the gross out thread.

Is there an "I'm out the door NOW!" thread? Because that's where I'd be!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."