News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 04:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2024739 times)

cwm

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1560 on: August 30, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »
So, I take it no one on here has ever played "The perfect murder". It's a great game. All hypothetical of course.
The alternative (and slightly less macabre) is the "How to plan the perfect robbery."

My sister and I play "The perfect murder" all the time. Sometimes the robbery, but not often.

Even more creepy is her sizable collection of books on serial killers prominently displayed on her bookcase.

Is it odd that I find it easier to plan the perfect murder rather than a robbery?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1561 on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:47 AM »
We were meeting some neighbors, and getting a tour of their house. When we got to the husband's study, I looked at a clown painting and said, "Is that a Gacy?"

It was, and I scored big points with him by recognizing it.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Thipu1

« Reply #1562 on: August 30, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
So, I take it no one on here has ever played "The perfect murder". It's a great game. All hypothetical of course.
The alternative (and slightly less macabre) is the "How to plan the perfect robbery."

My sister and I play "The perfect murder" all the time. Sometimes the robbery, but not often.

Even more creepy is her sizable collection of books on serial killers prominently displayed on her bookcase.

Is it odd that I find it easier to plan the perfect murder rather than a robbery?

No. It isn't odd at all because the only real motive for a robbery is greed while a murder can have any number of motives. 

When a friend and I were writing our mystery nights we tried a story about a jewel theft.  It worked, but only just.  Murder gave us a lot more to work with and we had a lot more fun setting things out and fabricating clues.   

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #1563 on: August 30, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »
We were meeting some neighbors, and getting a tour of their house. When we got to the husband's study, I looked at a clown painting and said, "Is that a Gacy?"

In all honesty, I think that might belong in the gross out thread.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

snowfire

« Reply #1564 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »
Clowns AND Gacy? THAT pegged the creep-o-meter!

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #1565 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
I once got a call at 5:30 am from some guy who wanted to talk about my credit.  I had a hard time understanding him because it was 5:30 and he woke me up but also he had a thick accent.  When I finally understood what he was saying, I told him, "I don't want to talk to you about my credit!  And especially not at 5:30 in the freaking morning!"  He never called back.  Yes, I did use "freaking", so I didn't use profanity.

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1566 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
This morning's e-mail-
from Khama-
ok.

Dear, I am presently in a refugee camp in Burkina Faso, I write to know if you can provide a bank account for receipt of $5million at your end, your cooperation will be compensated. Till I hear from you.

That was it.  No other words or anything.

I better get hopping on getting him or her that bank account!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1567 on: August 31, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »

This morning's e-mail-
from Khama-
ok.

Dear, I am presently in a refugee camp in Burkina Faso, I write to know if you can provide a bank account for receipt of $5million at your end, your cooperation will be compensated. Till I hear from you.

That was it.  No other words or anything.

I better get hopping on getting him or her that bank account!

Am I the only one who read the name of the sender as Karma and thought, "Well, THAT'S ironic!"   ;D

Twik

« Reply #1568 on: August 31, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »

In all honesty, I think that might belong in the gross out thread.

Is there an "I'm out the door NOW!" thread? Because that's where I'd be!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Amara

« Reply #1569 on: August 31, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »
I am so envious of all of you because I never get offered millions. What I get are "local sluts" and "$1,000" direct deposit money (that I have to pay back, though they are generous with the five-year repayment policy) and "sexy housewives [that] are dying to meet me." *sigh* I really must take some time out from all those sluts and offer my bank up for those Nigerian millions.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1570 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
I just heard this story on the news. Women Sell Positive Pregnancy Tests on Craigslist]

Pregnant women across the country have taken to Craigslist to sell positive pregnancy tests for about $25 a pop.
Some ads suggest buyers use the tests to finally get longtime boyfriends to propose. Others suggest pranking mom and dad. And one even suggests asking for money for an abortion and then using it to go on vacation.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1571 on: September 03, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »
I just heard this story on the news. Women Sell Positive Pregnancy Tests on Craigslist]

Pregnant women across the country have taken to Craigslist to sell positive pregnancy tests for about $25 a pop.
Some ads suggest buyers use the tests to finally get longtime boyfriends to propose. Others suggest pranking mom and dad. And one even suggests asking for money for an abortion and then using it to go on vacation.

Wow.  Just wow.

nuit93

« Reply #1572 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »

I heard about that.  My first thought was "wow, that's AWFUL!"

Unfortunately my second thought was "and if I were pregnant, I might do that too..."

CakeBeret

« Reply #1573 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
I remember stealing a pack of gum from the local store when I was five.  In my defense, I didn't think of it as stealing - I wanted it, my mother wouldn't buy it for me, so the choice to my childish mind was obvious.  :)

When my mother discovered it and knew darned well how I'd gotten it, she marched me back to the store to apologize to the manager.  I've never forgotten that.

Topic:  I was walking down the street the other day, happily listening to music on my iPhone, when a panhandler stopped me by yelling at me, then waving her hand in front of my face when I didn't hear her.  I ... did not react well.

I remember when I was maybe 5 or 6, I went to the store with my mom and sister. I was told that I could spend $5. I found a makeup kit I really wanted that was $10. No amount of begging could persuade them to give me $10. Finally I took the price tag off a $5 makeup kit and put it on the $10 item, and told my mom that I had found something I wanted for only $5. Naturally my mother caught onto my scheme and I did not get any makeup kit that night.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1574 on: September 03, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »

I heard about that.  My first thought was "wow, that's AWFUL!"

Unfortunately my second thought was "and if I were pregnant, I might do that too..."

Oh good, it's not just me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture