Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 620152 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1575 on: August 31, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
I am so envious of all of you because I never get offered millions. What I get are "local sluts" and "$1,000" direct deposit money (that I have to pay back, though they are generous with the five-year repayment policy) and "sexy housewives [that] are dying to meet me." *sigh* I really must take some time out from all those sluts and offer my bank up for those Nigerian millions.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1576 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:35 AM »
I just heard this story on the news. Women Sell Positive Pregnancy Tests on Craigslist]

Pregnant women across the country have taken to Craigslist to sell positive pregnancy tests for about $25 a pop.
Some ads suggest buyers use the tests to finally get longtime boyfriends to propose. Others suggest pranking mom and dad. And one even suggests asking for money for an abortion and then using it to go on vacation.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1577 on: September 03, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »
I just heard this story on the news. Women Sell Positive Pregnancy Tests on Craigslist]

Pregnant women across the country have taken to Craigslist to sell positive pregnancy tests for about $25 a pop.
Some ads suggest buyers use the tests to finally get longtime boyfriends to propose. Others suggest pranking mom and dad. And one even suggests asking for money for an abortion and then using it to go on vacation.

Wow.  Just wow.

nuit93

« Reply #1578 on: September 03, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »

I heard about that.  My first thought was "wow, that's AWFUL!"

Unfortunately my second thought was "and if I were pregnant, I might do that too..."

CakeBeret

« Reply #1579 on: September 03, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »
I remember stealing a pack of gum from the local store when I was five.  In my defense, I didn't think of it as stealing - I wanted it, my mother wouldn't buy it for me, so the choice to my childish mind was obvious.  :)

When my mother discovered it and knew darned well how I'd gotten it, she marched me back to the store to apologize to the manager.  I've never forgotten that.

Topic:  I was walking down the street the other day, happily listening to music on my iPhone, when a panhandler stopped me by yelling at me, then waving her hand in front of my face when I didn't hear her.  I ... did not react well.

I remember when I was maybe 5 or 6, I went to the store with my mom and sister. I was told that I could spend $5. I found a makeup kit I really wanted that was $10. No amount of begging could persuade them to give me $10. Finally I took the price tag off a $5 makeup kit and put it on the $10 item, and told my mom that I had found something I wanted for only $5. Naturally my mother caught onto my scheme and I did not get any makeup kit that night.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1580 on: September 03, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »

I heard about that.  My first thought was "wow, that's AWFUL!"

Unfortunately my second thought was "and if I were pregnant, I might do that too..."

Oh good, it's not just me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1581 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:54 PM »
Need to inspect your yard for snakes, ma'am.

Snake inspection scam

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1582 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »

Snake inspection scam
"Oh, we don't have any snakes.  The hawks take care of vermin like that." And they do!  We have a pair of redtails nesting in the neighborhood.  :) They've cleared out all the gophers/moles that used to infest the back yard, and I don't see nearly as many squirrels as we used to.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1583 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:42 AM »

Snake inspection scam

Hopefully the scammers decide to try it up here.  We don't have venomous snakes up here.

KimberlyM

« Reply #1584 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
This gem was in my inbox when I arrived at work today...complete with attachments (who opens those?)

Dear Sir/Madam,
     I am so glad send email to you.
     We are a manufacturer in China produce CAR RECORDER.
      The attach model is a very popular car recorder,with very good night vision,very high definition.Many car driver need them.Because it can recording any traffic accident,and by it can know who are responsible for the accident.
      For this one the sample price is 63$.Maybe you think it is expensive.I would like tell you a story:
      One day,when David drive his car go to have a important meeting,when he drive through a traffic lighter,a man by a motorcycle on front of his car,and this man drive the motorcycle slower on purpose,then let the motorcycle fall down on purpose,then roar David let David stop his car,say:"Your car hurt me."David said:"No,I am so slow,have not hurt you."But the man insist let David pay him some money for medical expenses,insist said David have let him bleed.David in order go to for the meeting on time.He pay the man 100$.Then the man permit David leave.
      It is a real story happed in our coutry.I think if David have this product,he no need pay 100$.He only need pay 63$ for the car DVR.
      The price for car DVR depends the IC and definition,like the DVR19S,the price for sample only need 26$.For mass products only need 16$. If you are a car supplier,it is a very good promostional gift.
------------------
Any questions pls feel free to contact me .
Best regards,
   Cara
The price of Car DVR/Car black box/Car recorder most depends on the camera and the IC.
Gofuture Technology Co.,LTD
MSN:gofuture@hotmail.com
Skype Name:gofuturete

Add: 5/F,C2 Bldg,Jia'an Industrial Park,Shangchuan Road,No.72 District,Bao'an District,Shenzhen,China
P please consider the environment before printing this email .

BarensMom

« Reply #1585 on: September 05, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »
On the news last night, there have been reports around the Bay of thieves posing as "PG&E" workers.  They work in pairs - one distracts the homeowner(s) by telling them they have to check something at the side or back of the house, the other robs the place.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1586 on: September 05, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
This gem was in my inbox when I arrived at work today...complete with attachments (who opens those?)

Dear Sir/Madam,
      The attach model is a very popular car recorder,with very good night vision,very high definition.Many car driver need them.Because it can recording any traffic accident,and by it can know who are responsible for the accident.
      For this one the sample price is 63$.Maybe you think it is expensive.I would like tell you a story:
      One day,when David drive his car go to have a important meeting,when he drive through a traffic lighter,a man by a motorcycle on front of his car,and this man drive the motorcycle slower on purpose,then let the motorcycle fall down on purpose,then roar David let David stop his car,say:"Your car hurt me."David said:"No,I am so slow,have not hurt you."But the man insist let David pay him some money for medical expenses,insist said David have let him bleed.David in order go to for the meeting on time.He pay the man 100$.Then the man permit David leave.
      It is a real story happed in our coutry.I think if David have this product,he no need pay 100$.He only need pay 63$ for the car DVR.
      The price for car DVR depends the IC and definition,like the DVR19S,the price for sample only need 26$.For mass products only need 16$. If you are a car supplier,it is a very good promostional gift.
------------------
Best regards,
   Cara
The price of Car DVR/Car black box/Car recorder most depends on the camera and the IC.

Add: 5/F,C2 Bldg,Jia'an Industrial Park,Shangchuan Road,No.72 District,Bao'an District,Shenzhen,China

Well, they may be scammers, but at least they're environmentally conscious scammers.  ;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

cwm

« Reply #1587 on: September 05, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

Dear Sir/Madam,
------------------
Best regards,
   Cara

Well, they may be scammers, but at least they're environmentally conscious scammers.  ;D

But there actually is a GoFuture Technology Co. Ltd from Shenzhen, China that sells dash cams. I don't know if this was a scam or a horrible attempt at marketing, but it is a valid company. And the prices listed in the email aren't too far off from the prices listed that I've found online. I can't load their website, but I'm at work, and I've found several other websites that promote or validate their products.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1588 on: September 05, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
And dashboard cams are getting to be incredibly popular in places like Russia, where you can't always count on the authorities to be unbiased if something happens.

Still a strange email, though!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1589 on: September 05, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
Someone signed up for rent dot com and other sites using our family email address. Even though I unsubscribed, those emails keep coming.