Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 653533 times)

KimberlyM

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1590 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:55 PM »
Wow...it was so poorly written I was certain it was a scam...in any case, horrible marketing!

cwm

« Reply #1591 on: September 05, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Well, it is a company from China that markets worldwide, maybe it's just a case of taking the original marketing for within China and running it through some sort of translation software instead of getting an actual person.

But yeah, still a horrible marketing tactic.

weeblewobble

« Reply #1592 on: September 08, 2013, 02:14:52 AM »
I did get an email notice a few years ago about "serious legal consequences" if I didn't respond immediately and wire money to the sender's account to pay off my delinquent student loans.  The timing was hilarious because we had literally paid off my student loan the week before.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #1593 on: September 08, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
My friend got caught by a CL's rental scam. The "owner" lived four hours away and didn't want to come down ifthey couldn't afford the rent/deposit, so he told her to wire the money to someone she knew and then send him a copy of the receipt.

There were two roomates, so they wired the money to each other and sent a copy of the transfer to the "owner". Two days later, my friend went to claim the money back, only to find out it had already been collected by someone. And now Western Union are saying it's not their fault that whoever gave the guy the money didn't check for ID. Umm...isn't that part of your rules?

Jones

« Reply #1594 on: September 09, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
This is in my hometown.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/utah-mom-allegedly-faked-daughters-cancer-collect-donations-100110030.html
The reason this all came to light is that the woman would text her ex for money to take the daughter to "treatments" out of state. It was always after a supposed treatment had happened, so he couldn't come along. He became suspicious as he never saw any actual billings hit his insurance, which covered  his children.

There is, of course, more to the story than is in that article. Like, her first daughter (now age 11) had leukemia, so everyone felt very sad that her second child now had it. (From what I've heard, DCFS are now investigating to make sure the older daughter did have leukemia, that hers wasn't faked as well.)

Also, the younger child, age 4, was firmly of the belief she had leukemia; she cried when she was told she was healthy. Her hair had been thinning, they are looking into whether this sorry excuse for a mother was giving her child medicine to fake the cancer, or thinning it with a tiny clipper, or what. There were pictures everywhere of the child in what looks like a hospital room, wearing the smock, sitting on a hospital bed. I hope that little girl grows up psychologically healthy...being told you are possibly dying at a young age cannot be healthy.

The community has boycotted the trendy clothing store this woman owns. Perhaps this should be in the PD thread as well.

ETA: Here's the local news article that talks about her older daughter.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=26433288&nid=481
UPDATE
Abby was scheduled to be in court this morning for an initial appearance, but she wasn't there. Her attorney was, who said that she has moved to Texas. The initial appearance has been rescheduled to Oct. 16.

That is all that was reported. No word on whether this counted as skipping bail, I'm guessing not since that would have made the story for sensationalism.

Cherry91

« Reply #1595 on: September 10, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »
This is in my hometown.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/utah-mom-allegedly-faked-daughters-cancer-collect-donations-100110030.html
The reason this all came to light is that the woman would text her ex for money to take the daughter to "treatments" out of state. It was always after a supposed treatment had happened, so he couldn't come along. He became suspicious as he never saw any actual billings hit his insurance, which covered  his children.

There is, of course, more to the story than is in that article. Like, her first daughter (now age 11) had leukemia, so everyone felt very sad that her second child now had it. (From what I've heard, DCFS are now investigating to make sure the older daughter did have leukemia, that hers wasn't faked as well.)

Also, the younger child, age 4, was firmly of the belief she had leukemia; she cried when she was told she was healthy. Her hair had been thinning, they are looking into whether this sorry excuse for a mother was giving her child medicine to fake the cancer, or thinning it with a tiny clipper, or what. There were pictures everywhere of the child in what looks like a hospital room, wearing the smock, sitting on a hospital bed. I hope that little girl grows up psychologically healthy...being told you are possibly dying at a young age cannot be healthy.

The community has boycotted the trendy clothing store this woman owns. Perhaps this should be in the PD thread as well.

UPDATE
Abby was scheduled to be in court this morning for an initial appearance, but she wasn't there. Her attorney was, who said that she has moved to Texas. The initial appearance has been rescheduled to Oct. 16.

That is all that was reported. No word on whether this counted as skipping bail, I'm guessing not since that would have made the story for sensationalism.

How can someone just "decide" to move when they're expected in court? I expected the next line of the story to be "She was tracked down and arrested."

Maybe I've just watched too many cop shows but usually "don't leave town" is one of the first things they tell someone...

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1596 on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
Well she's already an SS for doing what she did to her child.  It's not too far of a stretch to think she doesn't care if she wasn't supposed to move while being prosecuted. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1597 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »
This is in my hometown.

UPDATE

How can someone just "decide" to move when they're expected in court? I expected the next line of the story to be "She was tracked down and arrested."

Maybe I've just watched too many cop shows but usually "don't leave town" is one of the first things they tell someone...

An ex-sil of mine moved from Texas to another state (and relocated again a little over a year ago to still another state when her current spouse changed jobs).  She'd gotten out of jail to find a job so that she could comply with a court order....I don't know if she's ever been back to Texas...although if she ever does, I really, really hope that she gets pulled over for a burned out turn signal and CAUGHT!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Otterpop

« Reply #1598 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »
This is in my hometown.

UPDATE

An ex-sil of mine moved from Texas to another state (and relocated again a little over a year ago to still another state when her current spouse changed jobs).  She'd gotten out of jail to find a job so that she could comply with a court order....I don't know if she's ever been back to Texas...although if she ever does, I really, really hope that she gets pulled over for a burned out turn signal and CAUGHT!

Wow!  They'd better haul Scam Mom back.  This story made national news.  (Otherwise:  Do bad things. Move. Then you're off the hook. :o)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:03:03 PM by Otterpop »

Jones

« Reply #1599 on: September 10, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
Rumors on the Scam Mom/Abby W. are flying fast and thick in Hometown right now. I will let you all know when the dust settles and something is confirmed as truth. All that's known for sure is she is somewhere in Texas, somehow her lawyer got the judge to agree to moving the date when she didn't show up yesterday. No bail-jump warrant out yet.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1600 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
I got a great one today!

The email is from "Agent Patterson" (agentpatterson at embarqmail dot com). It has a file attachment - "FBI CONSOLIDATED COMPENSAT~1.txt" and reads as follows...

"Greetings from the office of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI),Washington D.C. This email exchange is an investigative exercise carried out by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) routinely to check email traffic on the internet. Please download to receive compensation or Text 1] [214] 997-4354."

Yea, right.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1601 on: September 12, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »
Not sure what to make of this guy.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/aussie-skate-star-ben-jamess-nyc-nightmare-hit-by-cab-and-us200000-medical-bill/story-fndukor0-1226718116822

I do now if he stayed in Australia he wouldn't have had such medical bills.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1602 on: September 12, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »
Katana_Geldar wrote:

"I do now if he stayed in Australia he wouldn't have had such medical bills."

I'll avoid direct legal advice but it sounds like he needs a good lawyer.  I'm mystified that his insurance company didn't just open up proceedings against the cab company to begin with.  Of course, I'm also wondering why he's listed in a thread on scammers, beggars and moochers.  He's got a pretty good reason to try to raise money.

Virg

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #1603 on: September 12, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »
Not sure what to make of this guy.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sports/aussie-skate-star-ben-jamess-nyc-nightmare-hit-by-cab-and-us200000-medical-bill/story-fndukor0-1226718116822

I do now if he stayed in Australia he wouldn't have had such medical bills.

Isn't that a bit victim blaming?

'That man wouldn't have been hit by a car if he had just stayed home?'
'That woman wouldn't have had a race crime committed against her if she just stayed in her own country'

I think you are being unfair, and I don't think he is scamming but I do agree with Virg that he needs a good lawyer.

dawnfire

« Reply #1604 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
he probably does need a good lawyer. I wonder if there was dangerous activity clause in his insurance