Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656657 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1650 on: September 20, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Stores in my area have taken to keeping baby formula in locking cages because of theft.

This is why : http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/seminole-county/men-accused-of-stealing-baby-formula-from-target/-/17597106/22022190/-/nxlxlz/-/index.html

The article says the men stole formula in the $$$ value range to sell on Craigslist. I have also seen multiple reports of it being sold at flea markets and exported to other countries after being stolen.

Formula is also used in the drug trade. We have security tags on ours because of that.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1651 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:30 PM »
It also can be sold to china.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1652 on: September 20, 2013, 08:59:45 PM »

Formula is also used in the drug trade.
We have security tags on ours because of that.

:o   Can you expand on that a little?  Do you mean the formula itself is used in the making of some drugs, or do you mean the formula is emptied out and drugs are hidden in the innocent looking containers?

nuit93

« Reply #1653 on: September 20, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

:o   Can you expand on that a little?  Do you mean the formula itself is used in the making of some drugs, or do you mean the formula is emptied out and drugs are hidden in the innocent looking containers?

It's used to doctor other drugs that look similar.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1654 on: September 20, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »

A lot of drugs are 'cut' (bulked out, padded, diluted etc) with other substances to make them go further - basically an inert ingredient. Sometimes it's so the dealers can get more money for the same amount of drug, sometimes it's because the 'standard dose' of a drug would be so tiny that it would be impossible to measure out and the extra bulk makes it easier (and safer) for the users to handle. Baby formula is ideal because it's a fine powder, it dissolves easily in water, and it's harmless. (Unfortunately 'harmless' is not always the main consideration for the dealer! Some incredibly dangerous poisons have been used to cut drugs in the past.)

...After reading this over, I think I should mention that my knowledge of drug manufacture and trade is minimal and gained through reading news articles etcetera, not through personal experience... :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1655 on: September 21, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
Stores in my area have taken to keeping baby formula in locking cages because of theft.

This is why : http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/seminole-county/men-accused-of-stealing-baby-formula-from-target/-/17597106/22022190/-/nxlxlz/-/index.html

The article says the men stole formula in the $$$ value range to sell on Craigslist. I have also seen multiple reports of it being sold at flea markets and exported to other countries after being stolen.

I've seen this in several Walmart stores in NJ. Theft of baby formula is a huge problem.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1656 on: September 21, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »

I've seen this in several Walmart stores in NJ. Theft of baby formula is a huge problem.

It's amazing the things that never even occur to you.  I learn something new on e-hell all the time

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1657 on: September 21, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »
Spotted on another forum. Identifying details changed to protect the guilty. Spelling and grammar not changed.

I m SomeGuy from Alaska USA,i have been playing the lottery for years now,and i havent been lucky to win,it was just like wasting of money and time,i have been playing lotto for a while now,i was about giving up on lottery when i read good reviews about a woman from Texas called Clara Voyant who helps people to predict winning numbers,after a lot of reviews i decided to contact her.
She told me to provide some details and said she will give me the numbers,and surprisingly she gave me the numbers and i played the lottery and to my greatest surprise i was announced as the winner,i won big and this has changed my life in a big way

Please you all should advice me on what percentage of the money i can pay her back to this spell caster..
decent and related answers only.

You could also contact her if you need her help, ClaraVoyant @ SomeDomain

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Mollie

« Reply #1658 on: September 22, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »
He should donate 99% to her, after all she was the brains behind him. And Clara Voyent??? Really??

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1659 on: September 22, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »

It's amazing the things that never even occur to you.  I learn something new on e-hell all the time

I know what you mean!

weeblewobble

« Reply #1660 on: September 22, 2013, 06:36:46 AM »

We used to sit around the dinner table and plan how we'd rob and bank, and where we'd hide  out (under the greenhouse) in town to wait for the dragnet to drop. Could we hide food there, would it keep, when would we go out for air, etc.

Several years ago, while I was on holiday on a cruise, I was trying to put together a detective story (family challenge: everybody was going to write a story over the course of the holiday. Mr Chick and the Younger Chick completed theirs; the Elder Chick and I bombed out). Nowadays when you get off or on a cruise ship, you go through security and present your photo-ID card, which is also your room key. The card is scanned, and if people are late, the crew members know precisely who they're looking for.

I reckoned that I had worked out a way to bypass security (on a one off basis suitable for a detective novel, I hasten to add; any of you involved in national security needn't come looking...) but I wanted to know what actually happens on a cruise if somebody disembarks on a port visit and doesn't come back. I'd been thinking about my plot on and off all day, so when the Entertainments Manager came round to chat with everybody, my mouth ran slightly ahead of my brain. As he shook my hand, I said brightly, 'now you're just the person I need to talk to: I'm going to do a murder and I need your help.'

The poor Entertainments Manager was so completely flummoxed that he actually forgot to let go of my hand and his expression was priceless. Apparently he'd never had a passenger ask him that before, and he developed a tendency to walk away hurriedly and hide behind doors when he saw me again, possibly in case I landed him with disposing of the body.

I still think my plot device would have worked, though.

HA!  I was writing a story and was having a hard time coming up with the most effective way to kill off a character.  We were at a restaurant and I was telling my husband about my plotting issues.  Just as I said,
"I've poisoned her.  I've pushed her car off a cliff.  I've shot her.  Nothing has worked!" the waitress walked up to our table. 

Her eyes went wide and she closed her order notebook.  "I'll give you a few more minutes."

Once DH and I stopped laughing, we asked the waitress back to our table and explained that I was writing a story and was not actually trying to murder someone.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #1661 on: September 22, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
Had a few at our garage sale yesterday. 

Lady who kept trying to haggle dh's old cell phone from the $40 listed to $20 and then walked around with it for 20 minutes w/o paying and getting me to half the price.  She kept trying to walk towards the sidewalk but I was down there.  Finally sold it for $28.

Couple who bought a bike trailer from friend, took off the wheels, and left the useless trailer on her curb.

A few of my son's toys walked off during busy times.

The two people who tried to buy a $2 items with $100 bill.  (This may not be a scam but I am still not taking it)

Overall it was a good day.  A made $70 selling old toys, C made $36, and I made $140.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:59:15 AM by SCAJAfamily »
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1662 on: September 22, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
Speaking of baby formula. I have seen reports of a scam aimed at travelers, especially to developing countries. A woman or a child carrying` a baby stands outside a shop and asks strangers if they will buy formula for the baby. The beggar doesn't ask for money, just food for the baby. People who are reluctant to give money are more likely to buy something to feed a baby.

The shopkeeper, who is in on the scam, buys it back for half price.

A description of the scam in Cambodia.

Nutrax

+The plural of anecdote is not data.+

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1663 on: September 22, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »

We used to sit around the dinner table and plan how we'd rob and bank, and where we'd hide  out (under the greenhouse) in town to wait for the dragnet to drop. Could we hide food there, would it keep, when would we go out for air, etc.

Several years ago, while I was on holiday on a cruise, I was trying to put together a detective story (family challenge: everybody was going to write a story over the course of the holiday. Mr Chick and the Younger Chick completed theirs; the Elder Chick and I bombed out). Nowadays when you get off or on a cruise ship, you go through security and present your photo-ID card, which is also your room key. The card is scanned, and if people are late, the crew members know precisely who they're looking for.

I reckoned that I had worked out a way to bypass security (on a one off basis suitable for a detective novel, I hasten to add; any of you involved in national security needn't come looking...) but I wanted to know what actually happens on a cruise if somebody disembarks on a port visit and doesn't come back. I'd been thinking about my plot on and off all day, so when the Entertainments Manager came round to chat with everybody, my mouth ran slightly ahead of my brain. As he shook my hand, I said brightly, 'now you're just the person I need to talk to: I'm going to do a murder and I need your help.'

The poor Entertainments Manager was so completely flummoxed that he actually forgot to let go of my hand and his expression was priceless. Apparently he'd never had a passenger ask him that before, and he developed a tendency to walk away hurriedly and hide behind doors when he saw me again, possibly in case I landed him with disposing of the body.

I still think my plot device would have worked, though.

HA!  I was writing a story and was having a hard time coming up with the most effective way to kill off a character.  We were at a restaurant and I was telling my husband about my plotting issues.  Just as I said,
"I've poisoned her.  I've pushed her car off a cliff.  I've shot her.  Nothing has worked!" the waitress walked up to our table. 

Her eyes went wide and she closed her order notebook.  "I'll give you a few more minutes."

Once DH and I stopped laughing, we asked the waitress back to our table and explained that I was writing a story and was not actually trying to murder someone.
Throw her into an icy river and make sure that the current sweeps her under the ice.  Hey, if it's good enough for Rasputin, it's good enough for anyone!

I once asked my doctor how long it would take to die of peritonitis once your appendix ruptures.  I did not ask her the best place to cut a human sacrifice so that he bleeds out slowly instead of quickly.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #1664 on: September 22, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
Just as I said,

We had similar experiences, except that we were discussing Dungeons and Dragons.  There was nothing quite like the reaction of fellow diners who overheard one of our group saying, "I whacked him with my axe."