Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 628795 times)

SCAJAfamily

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1680 on: September 23, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
Back in my tellering days, I ALWAYS asked how folks wanted their money, unless they were regulars and I already knew.  In general, men wanted big bills, women smaller ones.  I formulated the theory that men preferred the big bills so their wallets weren't too thick to sit on.

Maybe it's just a "guy" thing.  At our Sept pack meeting we had to collect dues for the year - $40 per scout.  I am the treasurer.  All moms paid with a check or exact change.  Three dads paid with a $100 and two with a $50.  After the first $100 I had no more change.  I don't know what they think.  They had to wait until others had paid to get 3 $20s back.  OY!
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #1681 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »
Dear Scammer,
I don't give money to people who ask me for money unless I know where it's going. But even if I did, you were standing outside my car, waiting for me to get out:o *cue cabbage mentally running away screaming*

I think I was smart in taking my laptop and my purse with me when I went in to Wal-Mart. Also, the fact that you got in front of me to ask didn't make me feel any more comfortable, nor did the woman hanging about two feet behind you at your every move.

Also, dear lady who looked old enough to be my grandma,
Your ruse to turn in the aforementioned panhandler who was bothering everyone in the parking lot was awesome. You even pretended like you were bringing out a bag you'd accidentally left when you really alerted the employees to him. I wish I'd been smart or brave enough to do the same, or at least just say something.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

HoneyBee42

« Reply #1682 on: September 23, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
I know I have told this story before here, but I do recall one dreadful patron who never had change to pay for his fines.  He would hand you a one hundred dollar bill even though he had a fistful of dollars.  One day he started telling me he didn't have anything smaller (despite having a wad of ones in his hand) and another patron leaned over to him and told him in not so ehell approved language to give me a one and get out before he got hurt.

OK, I have officially crossed over to the dark side.  I'd be so tempted to take the guy's hundred dollar bill, and say something "ok, I'll put this on your account."  And then make not a single move toward giving change.

*chases WickedBee back into a hive*

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1683 on: September 24, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
Continuing the change subject.

When we are running an event that takes money, DH and I always go to our CU and take out $100 for change in 5 and 1 dollar bills. If people show up and want to spend denominations greater than 20 on a 1 or 2 dollar item, we ask them to check back with us after an hour or so.

kymom3

« Reply #1684 on: September 24, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
Several years ago, in a small town close to where I live, someone went to a local fast food place drive thru, paid with a $200 bill (yes, they don't exist).  The not so smart person at the drive thru accepted the bill and gave them the change--and since the person passing the bill only bought a small drink or something, was almost the whole $200 in change.  ::)

I can't remember if the scammer got caught or not, but it made the national news for a while, just another joke for the late night talk shows--see people in KY really are that stupid.  thanks.  :(

heartmug

« Reply #1685 on: September 24, 2013, 04:40:04 PM »
Remember the disabled "tour guides"? Now disabled people don't get to go to the front of the line thanks to those trying to scam the system.

http://smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/disneyland-cracks-down-on-queue-jumpers-using-disabled-20130924-2uazq.html

Thank goodness.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1686 on: September 24, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Remember the disabled "tour guides"? Now disabled people don't get to go to the front of the line thanks to those trying to scam the system.

http://smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/disneyland-cracks-down-on-queue-jumpers-using-disabled-20130924-2uazq.html

Thank goodness.

I agree.  I was very glad to hear this.

Carotte

« Reply #1687 on: September 24, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
Seems like the solution is pretty good too, "visitors will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone."
That way people who cannot stand for a long period can sit beside the ride, and the mother complaining can walk around with her kids.

Was it that those in the disabled line got first access everytime? Like if it's a ride that fits 20 people and there's 25 people in the disabled line, 20 of them go first, then the 5 remaining + 15 normal queue guest (unless even more people got in the disabled line in the mean time?).
That sure doesn't sound right, pretty sure it's quite easy for them to figure out numbers and make a quota, allow say 18 normal queue/2 disabled queue.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1688 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
I have the existing Guest Access Pass. We go to the ride attendant and wait in the FastPass line, which is usually a 20 - 30 minute wait. If the wait is longer, they usually offer a return time or alternate entrance.

I was very angry at the SS who would accompany guests for a fee and get them in the fast way.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1689 on: September 24, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
 Brought it up earlier and dome people here said they thought it was a good idea as they weren't taking advantage if a disabled person. What they were taking advantage if was the system, which gave people the benefit if the doubt.

Well, no more then. :)

emwithme

« Reply #1690 on: September 25, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
Seems like the solution is pretty good too, "visitors will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone."
That way people who cannot stand for a long period can sit beside the ride, and the mother complaining can walk around with her kids.

Was it that those in the disabled line got first access everytime? Like if it's a ride that fits 20 people and there's 25 people in the disabled line, 20 of them go first, then the 5 remaining + 15 normal queue guest (unless even more people got in the disabled line in the mean time?).
That sure doesn't sound right, pretty sure it's quite easy for them to figure out numbers and make a quota, allow say 18 normal queue/2 disabled queue.

I'm not sure how it worked at Disney (I've never been) but at Alton Towers (UK Theme Park), you used to go to the exit or designated disabled entrance.  On every other cycle of the ride (or every cycle if it's quiet), one "group" (up to four people together) of disabled people and their carers/friends etc could go on the ride.  It would mean sometimes queues of about 1/2 an hour for the major rides (where standard queue time was 3 - 4 hours) but sometimes it was only 5 minutes.  There could only be one group of disabled people "on the track" at any time in case of a breakdown and need for rescue.  It wouldn't be that if there were 20 people queuing and 25 seats on the ride only 5 from the standard queue would get in.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1691 on: September 25, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
How many disabled can be on a ride at once varies. You have to take into account the type of ride/seating and what the disabled guest needs.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1692 on: September 25, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
Handicap access at Disney varied by ride when we went.  For some rides, there were special transports that prioritized them.  For example, there were two trucks out of the many at the Safari that had slots to park wheelchairs and scooters, so people who needed them waited for those trucks but got right on them when they arrived.  For those who could transfer to a regular seat (like my wife who had a knee problem at the time), they let us in a side entrance and would seat the group (with assistance if needed) in the regular trucks.  That's the sort of thing that this scam was taking advantage of, where someone in the group would pretend to need a chair/scooter but be "transfer capable" so they'd get bumped up.  Some rides just didn't handle chairs at all, like most of the rollercoasters, but we still got passed around the line at times because she could move herself from the scooter, she just couldn't stand in the line.

Virg

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1693 on: September 27, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
I don't know if this was a scam, cluelessness or what, but it raised enough red flags for us to walk away.

DragonSon is buying his first car.
He's checking the want ads, kijijii and so on.

He found a good prospect, so he and I went and checked it out.
Everything was fine except for one odd thing - when we asked for the VIN, the owner didn't have it with her.
I said "If you pull out the registration, I'll just take a picture of the number."

"I'll text it to you."
Umm...okay, whatever.
She sent it a short time later and DragonSon went and got a search done to make sure there were no liens against the vehicle.
All good so they settled on the price.

Last night, she dropped the car off.

For the "bill of sale", she had a piece of paper with her info and the car info on it.
We asked for her to sign over the registration papers.

She didn't actually have the registration papers.
See, she'd only owned the car for a week or so (she'd told us that she'd bought it and realized she didn't want it, that's why she was selling it) and hadn't actually registered it yet.
She just stuck the plates from her previous car on it and was using those.

Odd...but not actually illegal - where we are, that's allowable for a very brief period before you register.

Problem is, with the car not registered in her name, a bill of sale is meaningless because the system won't show her as having authority to sell the car.

So we made arrangements for her to meet DragonSon at the registry office to get the paperwork sorted out.

All of a sudden, she wanted cash or a certified cheque.
Reasonable (I was actually surprised she'd been willing to take our personal cheque earlier.)

We told her he'd have a certified cheque with him at the registry office.

And then the deal had to be in cash.....

Ummm. No.

I'm not sure how she expected to sell a car without being able to prove that she actually owned it, but she really wasn't willing to provide the registration information. Or even the bill of sale from when she bought it last week....

Just...no.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1694 on: September 27, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
White Dragon, you should tell your story to your local police.  I'd bet my dollar that she was trying to sell a stolen car.  Give the police the VIN she texted you.

Virg