News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 22, 2017, 05:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2085820 times)

Shoo

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1680 on: September 24, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
Remember the disabled "tour guides"? Now disabled people don't get to go to the front of the line thanks to those trying to scam the system.

http://smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/disneyland-cracks-down-on-queue-jumpers-using-disabled-20130924-2uazq.html

Thank goodness.

I agree.  I was very glad to hear this.

Carotte

« Reply #1681 on: September 24, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
Seems like the solution is pretty good too, "visitors will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone."
That way people who cannot stand for a long period can sit beside the ride, and the mother complaining can walk around with her kids.

Was it that those in the disabled line got first access everytime? Like if it's a ride that fits 20 people and there's 25 people in the disabled line, 20 of them go first, then the 5 remaining + 15 normal queue guest (unless even more people got in the disabled line in the mean time?).
That sure doesn't sound right, pretty sure it's quite easy for them to figure out numbers and make a quota, allow say 18 normal queue/2 disabled queue.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1682 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
I have the existing Guest Access Pass. We go to the ride attendant and wait in the FastPass line, which is usually a 20 - 30 minute wait. If the wait is longer, they usually offer a return time or alternate entrance.

I was very angry at the SS who would accompany guests for a fee and get them in the fast way.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1683 on: September 24, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
 Brought it up earlier and dome people here said they thought it was a good idea as they weren't taking advantage if a disabled person. What they were taking advantage if was the system, which gave people the benefit if the doubt.

Well, no more then. :)

emwithme

« Reply #1684 on: September 25, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »
Seems like the solution is pretty good too, "visitors will be issued tickets with a return time and a shorter wait similar to the FastPass system that's offered to everyone."
That way people who cannot stand for a long period can sit beside the ride, and the mother complaining can walk around with her kids.

Was it that those in the disabled line got first access everytime? Like if it's a ride that fits 20 people and there's 25 people in the disabled line, 20 of them go first, then the 5 remaining + 15 normal queue guest (unless even more people got in the disabled line in the mean time?).
That sure doesn't sound right, pretty sure it's quite easy for them to figure out numbers and make a quota, allow say 18 normal queue/2 disabled queue.

I'm not sure how it worked at Disney (I've never been) but at Alton Towers (UK Theme Park), you used to go to the exit or designated disabled entrance.  On every other cycle of the ride (or every cycle if it's quiet), one "group" (up to four people together) of disabled people and their carers/friends etc could go on the ride.  It would mean sometimes queues of about 1/2 an hour for the major rides (where standard queue time was 3 - 4 hours) but sometimes it was only 5 minutes.  There could only be one group of disabled people "on the track" at any time in case of a breakdown and need for rescue.  It wouldn't be that if there were 20 people queuing and 25 seats on the ride only 5 from the standard queue would get in.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1685 on: September 25, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
How many disabled can be on a ride at once varies. You have to take into account the type of ride/seating and what the disabled guest needs.
Nothing to see here.

Virg

« Reply #1686 on: September 25, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »
Handicap access at Disney varied by ride when we went.  For some rides, there were special transports that prioritized them.  For example, there were two trucks out of the many at the Safari that had slots to park wheelchairs and scooters, so people who needed them waited for those trucks but got right on them when they arrived.  For those who could transfer to a regular seat (like my wife who had a knee problem at the time), they let us in a side entrance and would seat the group (with assistance if needed) in the regular trucks.  That's the sort of thing that this scam was taking advantage of, where someone in the group would pretend to need a chair/scooter but be "transfer capable" so they'd get bumped up.  Some rides just didn't handle chairs at all, like most of the rollercoasters, but we still got passed around the line at times because she could move herself from the scooter, she just couldn't stand in the line.

Virg

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1687 on: September 27, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
I don't know if this was a scam, cluelessness or what, but it raised enough red flags for us to walk away.

DragonSon is buying his first car.
He's checking the want ads, kijijii and so on.

He found a good prospect, so he and I went and checked it out.
Everything was fine except for one odd thing - when we asked for the VIN, the owner didn't have it with her.
I said "If you pull out the registration, I'll just take a picture of the number."

"I'll text it to you."
Umm...okay, whatever.
She sent it a short time later and DragonSon went and got a search done to make sure there were no liens against the vehicle.
All good so they settled on the price.

Last night, she dropped the car off.

For the "bill of sale", she had a piece of paper with her info and the car info on it.
We asked for her to sign over the registration papers.

She didn't actually have the registration papers.
See, she'd only owned the car for a week or so (she'd told us that she'd bought it and realized she didn't want it, that's why she was selling it) and hadn't actually registered it yet.
She just stuck the plates from her previous car on it and was using those.

Odd...but not actually illegal - where we are, that's allowable for a very brief period before you register.

Problem is, with the car not registered in her name, a bill of sale is meaningless because the system won't show her as having authority to sell the car.

So we made arrangements for her to meet DragonSon at the registry office to get the paperwork sorted out.

All of a sudden, she wanted cash or a certified cheque.
Reasonable (I was actually surprised she'd been willing to take our personal cheque earlier.)

We told her he'd have a certified cheque with him at the registry office.

And then the deal had to be in cash.....

Ummm. No.

I'm not sure how she expected to sell a car without being able to prove that she actually owned it, but she really wasn't willing to provide the registration information. Or even the bill of sale from when she bought it last week....

Just...no.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Virg

« Reply #1688 on: September 27, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
White Dragon, you should tell your story to your local police.  I'd bet my dollar that she was trying to sell a stolen car.  Give the police the VIN she texted you.

Virg

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1689 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
I second that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Carotte

« Reply #1690 on: September 27, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
I second that.

Yeah, me too, and give them the description of the car, the VIN number might have been pulled out of a hat for all you know.
And it does sound extremely fishy.

wheeitsme

« Reply #1691 on: September 27, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
And you should be able to get the VIN number from the car.  It is usually attached way high up into the driver's side dashboard and viewable through the windshield.

Twik

« Reply #1692 on: September 27, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
I second that.

Yeah, me too, and give them the description of the car, the VIN number might have been pulled out of a hat for all you know.

It doesn't so much sound fishy as it's swimming up stream past grizzly bears to spawn.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1693 on: September 27, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
I second that.

It doesn't so much sound fishy as it's swimming up stream past grizzly bears to spawn.

Salmony ;)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1694 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »
Apparently I have children I don't remember giving birth to.  When I arrived home last night, there was an invoice for Highlights Magazine in the mail.  They wanted thirty dollars from Lily Such to pay for the subscription for her son, Peter Such.  I called Highlights magazine and explained the situation.  The woman on the other end said "I'm going to go ahead and guess that you don't have a daughter named Jasmine Such, either.  There's a subscription for her for Highlights Junior."

Whoever ordered the magazine subscriptions did so through a card that came with a Miles Kimball catalog.  There are two families in my building who get that catalog (and I am not either of them).  One is my elderly across the hall neighbor who tears up all her mail and has me throw it out.

The other is the family downstairs which consists of a mother and her fifty year old daughter who is mentally impaired.  Mom is away all week and the rest of the family--some of whom live across the street and some of whom use the condo as a way station on their way from one job out of state to another job in a different state--supposedly look out for the sister.  Most of them know my name because I have had to call them regarding the sister's health on occasion.  All of them have children.  So I am guessing that maybe someone thought they were going to get free magazines.

Yeah, no.  Especially since you spelled my first name incorrectly. 

Can't wait to see if I have also ordered a copy of Playboy for my husband or Cosmo for me.