Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 622225 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1695 on: September 27, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
I second that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Carotte

« Reply #1696 on: September 27, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
I second that.

Yeah, me too, and give them the description of the car, the VIN number might have been pulled out of a hat for all you know.
And it does sound extremely fishy.

wheeitsme

« Reply #1697 on: September 27, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
And you should be able to get the VIN number from the car.  It is usually attached way high up into the driver's side dashboard and viewable through the windshield.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1698 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
I second that.

Yeah, me too, and give them the description of the car, the VIN number might have been pulled out of a hat for all you know.

It doesn't so much sound fishy as it's swimming up stream past grizzly bears to spawn.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1699 on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
I second that.

It doesn't so much sound fishy as it's swimming up stream past grizzly bears to spawn.

Salmony ;)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1700 on: September 28, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
Apparently I have children I don't remember giving birth to.  When I arrived home last night, there was an invoice for Highlights Magazine in the mail.  They wanted thirty dollars from Lily Such to pay for the subscription for her son, Peter Such.  I called Highlights magazine and explained the situation.  The woman on the other end said "I'm going to go ahead and guess that you don't have a daughter named Jasmine Such, either.  There's a subscription for her for Highlights Junior."

Whoever ordered the magazine subscriptions did so through a card that came with a Miles Kimball catalog.  There are two families in my building who get that catalog (and I am not either of them).  One is my elderly across the hall neighbor who tears up all her mail and has me throw it out.

The other is the family downstairs which consists of a mother and her fifty year old daughter who is mentally impaired.  Mom is away all week and the rest of the family--some of whom live across the street and some of whom use the condo as a way station on their way from one job out of state to another job in a different state--supposedly look out for the sister.  Most of them know my name because I have had to call them regarding the sister's health on occasion.  All of them have children.  So I am guessing that maybe someone thought they were going to get free magazines.

Yeah, no.  Especially since you spelled my first name incorrectly. 

Can't wait to see if I have also ordered a copy of Playboy for my husband or Cosmo for me.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1701 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
I second that.

Salmony ;)

Just wanted to add a big ol'  POD to everything said here.  White Dragon, would your son like a battered 16 year old Honda?  I promise I have the registration papers...somewhere

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1702 on: September 28, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »
I'm weighing whether to go to the police or not.

The seller did provide a VIN and we paid to have a lien search  done. We also ran the VIN through the police database of stolen vehicles.

In both cases we got "search has returned no results".
Initially we figured we were good, but I went back to the stolen vehicle database and entered a nonsense string of numbers and letters.
I got the exact same result.

So I can't tell if she gave us a real VIN or not.

Also, the ad is no longer on kijiji. But Dragonson may still have her number.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #1703 on: September 28, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
The VIN may be legit, but the car isn't hers to sell.  I have a cousin who sold her mother's car for drug money.  She had access to the keys and my aunt wouldn't press charges.

Carotte

« Reply #1704 on: September 28, 2013, 04:44:04 PM »
I don't know how much of a hassle it can be to report it but they might not need much and you'll know you helped a little so that someone like your son but who doesn't have the knowhow to sense something is off and know when to back up doesn't get sucked into buying a stolen car.

A brief description of what happened, the contact numbers you had for this person and the old URL to the kijiji add should be enough, they'll get the cache of the page or might be able to work with kijiji (who knows) to get all the info back.
Any pictures you might have saved of the car from the add too.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1705 on: September 28, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
Nominating Babybartfast for being a scammer here  :P  She came home this week and announced "I'm the only kid in my class who doesn't have to do homework!"  I was understandably dubious about this  :P  I ended up going into her school the next day to volunteer anyway, and I had a chance to talk with her teacher:

Me: She told me she's the only kid who doesn't have to do homework.  Is there something I've been missing?

Teacher: She told me you threw her homework away!  So I stopped insisting she take it home!

::) ::) ::) ::)

(For the record, we did figure it out: they were given worksheets each day in class which they were supposed to finish at home.  Babybartfast was getting hers done in class.  Naturally, when I saw an already-finished worksheet - done correctly - I assumed it was just to keep the parents informed on what they had done in school that day, so I looked at it along with her day's artwork and whatnot and tossed the lot.  Now I know to look for a  :) or a  :( drawn in the corner so I know the teacher has already checked it!)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1706 on: September 28, 2013, 11:40:22 PM »
Slartibartfast - When Loren was about 3 she complained about an earache. She was even doing the tug on her ear thing. So sis took her to the doctor. The doctor was puzzled because both ears were completely clear and healthy.

Then Loren bounded up and announced "Lollipop now"

Sis said that was the most expensive lollipop she ever bought.

This did convince my BIL to let the kids have candy occasionally rather than once in a blue moon. Move it out of the forbidden temptation category. Both kids prefer healthy snacks now that they can have candy sometimes. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mollie

« Reply #1707 on: September 28, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »
Slartibartfast, I am not sure how to word this without coming across as critical of your parental styles, but you throw away your daughter's artwork? That makes my heart hurt. Please tell me that you do keep some of it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1708 on: September 29, 2013, 12:27:14 AM »
Slartibartfast, I am not sure how to word this without coming across as critical of your parental styles, but you throw away your daughter's artwork? That makes my heart hurt. Please tell me that you do keep some of it.

If her kids are anything like mine, there are piles and piles and piles of artwork.  Some are probably especially nice and worth keeping, and others aren't.  I couldn't possibly keep everything my kids did, we would be inundated with it!  I pick out a few nice pieces here and there, some for the fridge, some for our display on the wall by the kitchen table, some for the kids' portfolios, but yes, I do trash the rest.  Sometimes I'm industrious enough to take pictures of the best stuff first.  But I don't think saying that she looks over her kids' artwork and papers and then throws them away implies that *every* single thing gets thrown away... but really, keeping more than 1 in 10 would probably be enough to count as hoarders.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1709 on: September 29, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »

My son is about the same age as Slartibarfast's DD and he goes through art supplies like crazy. He will gladly spend half an hour drawing/painting and will make a picture for anyone who comes over, no matter how short their visit is. BIL came for dinner and went home with half a dozen pictures.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz