Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 691037 times)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1710 on: September 29, 2013, 03:12:05 AM »
Slartibartfast, I am not sure how to word this without coming across as critical of your parental styles, but you throw away your daughter's artwork? That makes my heart hurt. Please tell me that you do keep some of it.

My son is about the same age as Slartibarfast's DD and he goes through art supplies like crazy. He will gladly spend half an hour drawing/painting and will make a picture for anyone who comes over, no matter how short their visit is. BIL came for dinner and went home with half a dozen pictures.

Ditto, if kept a quarter of what my daughter produced I would have no room in my house. A couple times a month I keep something that is different or meaningful but 99% of my daughter's art goes in the recycling

I have a system where it goes in a box in her room if she wants to work on it. I take the stuff from the bottom and toss that. I do look over her art from school or day care with her and let her explain it while I admire it but there is no way I keep all of it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1711 on: September 29, 2013, 03:34:16 AM »
I do keep some, such as this one:

(That says "sparkly," by the way - I wouldn't let her get out the glitter.)

She comes home with 1-2 things a day, though, most of it not fridge-worthy.  I save most of it long enough to show DH and then toss it.

scotcat60

« Reply #1712 on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Random caller "Hello, I'm James from your broadband provider. We've noticed your broadband hasn't been running properly recently"
Me (With echoes of "Beggars, Moochers and Scammers " springing to mind. "No. It's been fine"
Puts down phone on him even as he's asking "How do you know?"

The real broadband provider confirmed they hadn't rung me, and told me to get back to them if it happened again.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #1713 on: September 29, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »
I was thought she was a big fan of the quiz site, sporcle.com
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1714 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »
I was thought she was a big fan of the quiz site, sporcle.com

Oddly enough, I posted that picture on Twitter along with a comment about her "sporcle" rainbow and I got autofollowed by @sporkle and a private tweet to tell me I was on their "hall of fame tweets" for the week.  Methinks if they had actually read what I posted, they wouldn't have been so effusive . . .

Jones

« Reply #1715 on: September 29, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »
I bought my DD a three ring binder a while back, anything she really wants to keep goes into it--surprisingly, she's pickier about what's "good" than I am, and a lot of her stuff gets thrown out regularly. We do have enough that someday she can look back with nostalgia and see her own improvements over time.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1716 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
I bought my DD a three ring binder a while back, anything she really wants to keep goes into it--surprisingly, she's pickier about what's "good" than I am, and a lot of her stuff gets thrown out regularly. We do have enough that someday she can look back with nostalgia and see her own improvements over time.

That's kind of what we did too, except we just used a shirt sized box.  I would save everything for about a month and then we could go through their stuff together and they got to choose one thing and I would choose one thing and all the rest were thrown away.  At the end of the school year we placed all the remaining pictures/work into a big manila envelope marked with that year and the envelopes were placed in their big treasure boxes. 

They never saw the content of those bigger boxes until they moved out (after college) and the boxes went with them.  They reported that they really got a kick out of going back in time and seeing their "best" from Kindergarten through high school.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1717 on: September 29, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
My kids cleaned their room today.  I discovered a *ton* of drawings that went in the trash.  So I guess they didn't mind throwing out their own stuff once they were done with it.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1718 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
The two people who tried to buy a $2 items with $100 bill.  (This may not be a scam but I am still not taking it)

There seems to be a contingent of people who carry $100 bills around for the express purpose of using them to pay for small purchases or debts. We get them at the library, paying their $2 fine. When we don't have enough to break it and I ask them if they have anything smaller, at least half the time they'll say, "I just came from the bank, that's all I have."

You know what banks are good at? Giving you five twenties instead of a hundred. All you have to do is ask. But no, it's better to not have to carry the weight of four extra bills all the way from the bank to the library, or the yard sale, or the girl scout cookie table.

My bank's tellers love to foist $100s on me. Usually at the drive through lane, then they'll just keep saying "Have a Nice Day!" every time i push the call button, as people honk at me from behind.

Know what does a great job of breaking one without any problems/whining/angst?(Not that someone at a yard sale not wanting to break a hundred is whining or angsty, just customer service people who throw a big fit if you ask them to make change for you.) Self check outs at the grocery store. I go buy a soda with a C note and get my small change money, usually in tens for some reason. (I swear, I haven't gotten a twenty from a self check out in over a year.)

Its not always a scam but when it is it works like this....

I'll have one coffee
that will be $2.50
Here you go ($100)
thank you here's your change ..hands over 97.50 (register still open)
simultaneously   Oh I have a $5 can I have my $100 back
sure hand back $100 and $2.50

There is a way to continue after this point I don't know it,  people have scammed cashiers for hundreds in single transactions.

magician5

There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1720 on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »
So, I take it no one on here has ever played "The perfect murder". It's a great game. All hypothetical of course.
The alternative (and slightly less macabre) is the "How to plan the perfect robbery."

As a child I've played "how to rob the bank"  and as an adult "how to dispose of the body."

A spin off thread may be in order

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1721 on: September 30, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
..Or maybe she is going for the 'dress for the job you want' approach

Or she just got fired and decided to pick up some change on the way home.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1722 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
For stores, many returns aren't so happy

It's a news article about
Many merchants have long lived by the mantra that the customer is always right, adopting liberal return policies in hopes of winning the loyalty of free-spending shoppers. But with a recent increase in the wearing and subsequent return of expensive clothes - a practice merchants call wardrobing - many retailers are taking a stronger stand against the industry's $8.8 billion-a-year return fraud problem.
[snip[

About 65 percent of retailers in a National Retail Federation survey reported experiencing wardrobing last year, up from 61 percent in 2011. The surveyed merchants suspected 3.3 percent of their total returns in 2012 were fraudulent.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Iris

« Reply #1723 on: September 30, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »

Many merchants have long lived by the mantra that the customer is always right, adopting liberal return policies in hopes of winning the loyalty of free-spending shoppers. But with a recent increase in the wearing and subsequent return of expensive clothes - a practice merchants call wardrobing - many retailers are taking a stronger stand against the industry's $8.8 billion-a-year return fraud problem.
[snip[

About 65 percent of retailers in a National Retail Federation survey reported experiencing wardrobing last year, up from 61 percent in 2011. The surveyed merchants suspected 3.3 percent of their total returns in 2012 were fraudulent.

I read these articles and wonder whether I am a nervous Nellie, or these people are foolishly arrogant. So you buy a $$$$ dress you can't afford at all and plan to return it. What if someone spills a drink on it? What if you drop a greasy hors d'oeuvre down the front of it? What if some drunken idiot that you've invited to your Super Bowl party kicks over that $5000 big screen tv you're going to return tomorrow and chips the casing or worse? I just couldn't do it.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1724 on: September 30, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »

[snip[

I read these articles and wonder whether I am a nervous Nellie, or these people are foolishly arrogant. So you buy a $$$$ dress you can't afford at all and plan to return it. What if someone spills a drink on it? What if you drop a greasy hors d'oeuvre down the front of it? What if some drunken idiot that you've invited to your Super Bowl party kicks over that $5000 big screen tv you're going to return tomorrow and chips the casing or worse? I just couldn't do it.

You would lie and say you bought it that way and didn't notice it was stained/chipped/wrecked until you got home. It is actually less suspicious to return a broken product than one that is perfectly fine.

Having said that, the customer service desk isn't always fooled. They are required to take back the product, they aren't required to believe that a TV with nacho stains and footprints got that way in shipping. :P ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.