Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 654868 times)

Iris

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1725 on: September 30, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
For stores, many returns aren't so happy

It's a news article about
Many merchants have long lived by the mantra that the customer is always right, adopting liberal return policies in hopes of winning the loyalty of free-spending shoppers. But with a recent increase in the wearing and subsequent return of expensive clothes - a practice merchants call wardrobing - many retailers are taking a stronger stand against the industry's $8.8 billion-a-year return fraud problem.
[snip[

About 65 percent of retailers in a National Retail Federation survey reported experiencing wardrobing last year, up from 61 percent in 2011. The surveyed merchants suspected 3.3 percent of their total returns in 2012 were fraudulent.

I read these articles and wonder whether I am a nervous Nellie, or these people are foolishly arrogant. So you buy a $$$$ dress you can't afford at all and plan to return it. What if someone spills a drink on it? What if you drop a greasy hors d'oeuvre down the front of it? What if some drunken idiot that you've invited to your Super Bowl party kicks over that $5000 big screen tv you're going to return tomorrow and chips the casing or worse? I just couldn't do it.

You would lie and say you bought it that way and didn't notice it was stained/chipped/wrecked until you got home. It is actually less suspicious to return a broken product than one that is perfectly fine.

Having said that, the customer service desk isn't always fooled. They are required to take back the product, they aren't required to believe that a TV with nacho stains and footprints got that way in shipping. :P ;D

I swear I'd crack. It seems such a basic skill, since I know teenagers try to do it to me all the time, but to stand there and bald-facedly tell a lie to someone who must KNOW you are lying, and you know they know, is beyond me. OTOH I have had students do something literally right in front of me -knowing I was there - and then deny doing it with the face of an angel so I know people can do it. I just couldn't do it.

Then again, maybe it's my inherent clumsiness and slobbiness, because there's no way that dress would be going back clean. Or maybe it's just my life long policy of "Don't gamble anything you aren't prepared to lose".
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

KB

« Reply #1726 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
On the flip side of that, you can be honest about a product being damaged and the shop can refuse to believe it/blame you. I bought a CD years ago that didn't work so I swapped it for another, only to realise that the second disc also didn't work had a massive damaged area on it (which I hadn't thought to look for the first time). I took it back and was accused of causing the damage. I asked them to check the other copies of the same CD - only to find that they were ALL damaged. I got my refund, a free copy of the CD once they had one and a very sincere apology.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1727 on: September 30, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »
Back in the 1950s, my Mom was an interior decorator for Famed Department Store That No Longer Exists.  She used to tell us the tale of a very wealthy lady who would hire Mom to redecorate "for the season" then suddenly return every piece of furniture, ever painting, rug and slipcover because "We've thought it over and we don't like it."

Because she was wealthy, she got away with it.  Until Mom and the guys who helped her put together the rooms started noting clues.  Mrs. Wealthy Lady was redecorating for parties she had about four times a year.  An article would appear in the society columns that Mrs. Wealthy was going to be hosting Mr. and Mrs. Celebrity Couple for three weeks and Mrs. Wealthy would turn up at the store asking for a "really luxurious seasonal redo."  Which all came back as soon as Mrs. and Mrs. Celebrity had moved on.

Mrs. Wealthy was stunned when she came in to request another overhaul and was met in the decorating department by the store owner/CEO/Very Scary Lady and was told to go bother another lesser known store that might enjoy wasting its time on her. 

Jules1980

« Reply #1728 on: October 01, 2013, 12:51:02 AM »
Slartibartfast, I am not sure how to word this without coming across as critical of your parental styles, but you throw away your daughter's artwork? That makes my heart hurt. Please tell me that you do keep some of it.

I keep some of my daughter's but they bring home a color sheet everyday for almost every subject.  I don't have anywhere to keep all of it.  I just keep the big project or the ones I can tell she really worked on.  the rest gets tossed.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1729 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
I swear I'd crack. It seems such a basic skill, since I know teenagers try to do it to me all the time, but to stand there and bald-facedly tell a lie to someone who must KNOW you are lying, and you know they know, is beyond me. OTOH I have had students do something literally right in front of me -knowing I was there - and then deny doing it with the face of an angel so I know people can do it. I just couldn't do it.

Then again, maybe it's my inherent clumsiness and slobbiness, because there's no way that dress would be going back clean. Or maybe it's just my life long policy of "Don't gamble anything you aren't prepared to lose".

I find it embarrassing to return things while I'm telling the truth, if I feel I might be challenged.

I remember one time as a teen, my bf's parents asked us to return a chicken that they had bought, and discovered smelt funny. We were convinced we would be quizzed about how it had been stored, and when it had been purchased. Instead, the conversation went like this:

Us (approaching the service desk like Oliver Twist about to ask for more gruel): Ummm, we have this chicken that was bought here, and it smells off. Could we return it? See? (holding out the chicken in a plastic bag) You can smell it if you want. It's definitely off.

Service clerk: EWWWWWWW! No, I'm not going to smell it, take the money and go!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1730 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
Beware of phishing emails to your work email account that actually set appointments in your email client!

Also, everyone where I work (all 5000+ people) received this today:

Your two incoming mails were placed on pending status due to the recent upgrade in our database,

In order to receive the messages kindly click HERE Bad link

Login with your correct Webmail information's and wait for responds from our data base service.
We apologize for any inconvenience and do appreciate your understanding.

Regards,

Webmail Administrator.

Good old Webmail Administrator. A position that doesn't exist in my organization!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1731 on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating how to deal with a sort-of-return situation myself.  I've bought Coke (sometimes actual Coke, sometimes Coke Zero) a few times from Walmart, in big 24-packs.  Several times, mostly with the Coke Zero, I found a can of Coke that had leaked out.  In *one* case, it had actually leaked out while it was in the box, and the box was damp (and leaked in my kitchen).  However, the other several times it happened, there was a can that was mostly empty, but it wasn't leaking and there was no wetness anywhere.  So either it leaked out at some point earlier, or the can never got filled all the way.  Also, not infrequently, a large number of the cans in the case would have distorted tops that were misshapen and hard to drink from.  The middle of the top would be as much as an inch higher than the sides.  I've been contemplating talking to Walmart about it, but trying to figure out how to do so.  I'm concerned they might think that I'm just not being gentle enough with the cases.  I'm assuming either somebody is throwing the cases, or that somehow the drinks are getting damaged in production or shipping.  I've never had this happen at any other store, though.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1732 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating how to deal with a sort-of-return situation myself.  I've bought Coke (sometimes actual Coke, sometimes Coke Zero) a few times from Walmart, in big 24-packs.  Several times, mostly with the Coke Zero, I found a can of Coke that had leaked out.  In *one* case, it had actually leaked out while it was in the box, and the box was damp (and leaked in my kitchen).  However, the other several times it happened, there was a can that was mostly empty, but it wasn't leaking and there was no wetness anywhere.  So either it leaked out at some point earlier, or the can never got filled all the way.  Also, not infrequently, a large number of the cans in the case would have distorted tops that were misshapen and hard to drink from.  The middle of the top would be as much as an inch higher than the sides.  I've been contemplating talking to Walmart about it, but trying to figure out how to do so.  I'm concerned they might think that I'm just not being gentle enough with the cases.  I'm assuming either somebody is throwing the cases, or that somehow the drinks are getting damaged in production or shipping.  I've never had this happen at any other store, though.
Sounds like the cases have gotten frozen, MP.  That will distort the shape of the can; remember that water expands as it freezes.  If it expands enough that it creates a pinhole crack, then the soda will leak away.  Is there a particular time of year that you notice it more than others?

I remember taking a sixpack back to the store because one of the cans was empty and I could see a pinhole at the bottom.  Come to find out that DD2 had taken it out of that plastic ring thingummy that holds them together, poked the hole herself, sucked out the contents, and put it back in the plastic ring.  Kids! ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carotte

« Reply #1733 on: October 01, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »

You can go to walmart and ask for an exchange, you can also probably contact Coke if they were damaged before you got to them (like, buy them, open the pack, see the default, snap a picture, send them an email [or go straight back to walmart]).
A friend of mine got a huge case of kit-kat when he contacted them about a waffle-less kit-kat, so going that route you'll either nothing, an apology, or an apology and a life-time supply of half-off coupon :).

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1734 on: October 01, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »

You can go to walmart and ask for an exchange, you can also probably contact Coke if they were damaged before you got to them (like, buy them, open the pack, see the default, snap a picture, send them an email [or go straight back to walmart]).
A friend of mine got a huge case of kit-kat when he contacted them about a waffle-less kit-kat, so going that route you'll either nothing, an apology, or an apology and a life-time supply of half-off coupon :).

To me, it sounds like the distrubutor is mishandling them. I've never had a problem with Coke products, which is why I think it may be just one person in the warehouse/delivery system. If you and other customers don't return them, they will never know and the abuse will continue.

We had a problem with the OJ jugs getting crushed. I did tell them - it was obvious so I didn't buy any - and now I've noticed they are always perfect, so it must have been only one or two layers up from shelving. They have to be told.

Figgie

« Reply #1735 on: October 01, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
We bought a package of Oreo cookies the other day.  When we opened it up, inside, the entire package was basically crushed cookies.  Took it back to the grocery store (along with the receipt). 

My spouse showed it to them and told them that they looked fine for a Blizzard, but not to eat.  :)  All they did was look at it and tell us to get another package.

Over the years I've taken back moldy cheese, shattered crusts and a bunch of other stuff and never had them do anything but tell us to go and get a fresh whatever.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1736 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
I took back tomatoes once that started to rot he very next day after we got them. They accepted them no questions.

And I returned a stick blender with multiple attachments when we discovered a manufacturing fault: stuff would get inside the attachment and go mouldy, it was impossible to clean. They gave us a gift card with the amount and we got a food processor and a blender with it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1737 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »

To me, it sounds like the distrubutor is mishandling them. I've never had a problem with Coke products, which is why I think it may be just one person in the warehouse/delivery system. If you and other customers don't return them, they will never know and the abuse will continue.

We had a problem with the OJ jugs getting crushed. I did tell them - it was obvious so I didn't buy any - and now I've noticed they are always perfect, so it must have been only one or two layers up from shelving. They have to be told.

I didn't even think about the freezing possibility.  Good point.  I think I recycled the most recent bad can, so I don't have any proof right now.  But if it happens again, I'll bring it back.  Maybe if I think about it I'll shoot them an email as a head's up about the problem, even if I don't have anything to return.

Margo

« Reply #1738 on: October 03, 2013, 06:10:43 AM »
On the flip side of that, you can be honest about a product being damaged and the shop can refuse to believe it/blame you. I bought a CD years ago that didn't work so I swapped it for another, only to realise that the second disc also didn't work had a massive damaged area on it (which I hadn't thought to look for the first time). I took it back and was accused of causing the damage. I asked them to check the other copies of the same CD - only to find that they were ALL damaged. I got my refund, a free copy of the CD once they had one and a very sincere apology.

I had something similar once. I bought a DVD. It wouldn't play. Returned it. New DVD also wouldn't play. Returned it. 3rd DVD still wouldn't play. I returned it, suggested they check their stock as 3 in a row seemed like it might be caused by a batch problem.
They tried to refuse the refund claiming it must me my DVD player (despite the fact that every other disc I had played just fine.)

Fortunately, I'd bought my DVD player recently and from the same retailer, so I told them that, and confirmed that I was more than happy to return the DVD player instead if they preferred. hey then decided that they's refund the DVD instead.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1739 on: October 03, 2013, 07:17:11 AM »

I worked for a subdivision of Montgomery Ward and when we closed due to bankruptcy we went to a zero returns unless an impossible to know at time of purchase defect is detected. We had (this is how long ago this was) a cassette tape returned with the complaint that the tape was not,  in fact the Oakridge boys but was some rock band. So we popped it in a handy cassette deck. The casing said Oakridge Boys. The tape was The Thompson Twins. We tried every cassette of that album. All The Thompson Twins. They got their money back.