Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 708596 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1740 on: October 03, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
On the flip side of that, you can be honest about a product being damaged and the shop can refuse to believe it/blame you. I bought a CD years ago that didn't work so I swapped it for another, only to realise that the second disc also didn't work had a massive damaged area on it (which I hadn't thought to look for the first time). I took it back and was accused of causing the damage. I asked them to check the other copies of the same CD - only to find that they were ALL damaged. I got my refund, a free copy of the CD once they had one and a very sincere apology.

I had something similar once. I bought a DVD. It wouldn't play. Returned it. New DVD also wouldn't play. Returned it. 3rd DVD still wouldn't play. I returned it, suggested they check their stock as 3 in a row seemed like it might be caused by a batch problem.
They tried to refuse the refund claiming it must me my DVD player (despite the fact that every other disc I had played just fine.)

Fortunately, I'd bought my DVD player recently and from the same retailer, so I told them that, and confirmed that I was more than happy to return the DVD player instead if they preferred. hey then decided that they's refund the DVD instead.

I wonder if the DVD was not formatted correctly. I know some DVD formats won't play on all DVD players.

Margo

« Reply #1741 on: October 03, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
On the flip side of that, you can be honest about a product being damaged and the shop can refuse to believe it/blame you. I bought a CD years ago that didn't work so I swapped it for another, only to realise that the second disc also didn't work had a massive damaged area on it (which I hadn't thought to look for the first time). I took it back and was accused of causing the damage. I asked them to check the other copies of the same CD - only to find that they were ALL damaged. I got my refund, a free copy of the CD once they had one and a very sincere apology.

I had something similar once. I bought a DVD. It wouldn't play. Returned it. New DVD also wouldn't play. Returned it. 3rd DVD still wouldn't play. I returned it, suggested they check their stock as 3 in a row seemed like it might be caused by a batch problem.
They tried to refuse the refund claiming it must me my DVD player (despite the fact that every other disc I had played just fine.)

Fortunately, I'd bought my DVD player recently and from the same retailer, so I told them that, and confirmed that I was more than happy to return the DVD player instead if they preferred. hey then decided that they's refund the DVD instead.

I wonder if the DVD was not formatted correctly. I know some DVD formats won't play on all DVD players.

It shouldn't have mattered. I have a multi-region DVD player. It played the introductory piracy warning just fine - nothing after that..

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1742 on: October 03, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »
My nephew's wife has a job in the medical field. She works with a wide range of clients, and she gets a lot of requests for written prescriptions so the patient can get medicaid or medicare to pay for a non-essential item (like a luxury bed mattress!).  ::)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1743 on: October 03, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

I worked for a subdivision of Montgomery Ward and when we closed due to bankruptcy we went to a zero returns unless an impossible to know at time of purchase defect is detected. We had (this is how long ago this was) a cassette tape returned with the complaint that the tape was not,  in fact the Oakridge boys but was some rock band. So we popped it in a handy cassette deck. The casing said Oakridge Boys. The tape was The Thompson Twins. We tried every cassette of that album. All The Thompson Twins. They got their money back.

My sister and I got new bikes at the closing sale of the store in San Angelo.  We rode them home from downtown to our home behind the county fairgrounds....several miles. We'd gone shopping in dresses - I was amazed that our parents let us ride bikes that far in skirts (I had to stand up to avoid my longer than fashionable skirt getting caught in the bike gears - we moved to that house in 1973 and I got married the end of 1975 - so I would have been fifteen or so). 

I wish I still had that bike - no gears, no hand brakes, just a simple old bike that needed only a paint job & new tires (well, by now probably a new chain, new tires, a new seat, and a new handlebar - the frame might still be around - they were sturdy)!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

daisy1679

« Reply #1744 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »

I worked for a subdivision of Montgomery Ward and when we closed due to bankruptcy we went to a zero returns unless an impossible to know at time of purchase defect is detected. We had (this is how long ago this was) a cassette tape returned with the complaint that the tape was not,  in fact the Oakridge boys but was some rock band. So we popped it in a handy cassette deck. The casing said Oakridge Boys. The tape was The Thompson Twins. We tried every cassette of that album. All The Thompson Twins. They got their money back.

I had that happen to me once, but a different store! I was 8 or 9, and all I wanted for my birthday was Bon Jovi - New Jersey. Got it, tore it open, popped it in, and ... Scorpions (the album with Winds of Change). I was so disappointed, especially since the store didn't have any other copies of Bon Jovi in stock, so I had to get a different tape. Never did get that Bon Jovi album...

doodlemor

« Reply #1745 on: October 03, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »

I had that happen to me once, but a different store! I was 8 or 9, and all I wanted for my birthday was Bon Jovi - New Jersey. Got it, tore it open, popped it in, and ... Scorpions (the album with Winds of Change). I was so disappointed, especially since the store didn't have any other copies of Bon Jovi in stock, so I had to get a different tape. Never did get that Bon Jovi album...

It's not too late.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bon-jovi-new-jersey-cd

Micah

« Reply #1746 on: October 03, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »
My OH fell for one of those pop up scam ads on the internet. The ones that say, "This could save you thousands! Are you SURE you want to leave this page?" It cost a hundred dollars (a very large chunk of our limited budget) and was supposed to be a series of books and dvds on how to DIY build and convert your house to solar.  ::) I had to consult an electrician friend to instruct OH on exactly why this was not possible. OH has now agreed that he is not to purchase ANYTHING off the internet without consulting me first  :P.

OH almost fell for a phone scam years ago. A lady rang with one of those "You've won a free holiday!" deals. Unfortunately I was at work when she rang. Fortunately I was the only one of us with a credit card and I had it in my possession at the time. OH kept her on the phone for half an hour until I got home. He handed me the phone very excitedly, telling me all about how we were going to Vegas and all I had to do was to give over my credit card details to confirm my identity! I was like, hold on a second. I had a very short conversation with the lady and hung up on her while she was in mid rant about how we'd wasted HER time  ???. OH half took some convincing before he'd believe me on that one too. He's quite gullible, poor dear....
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1747 on: October 03, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
OH?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1748 on: October 04, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1749 on: October 04, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
My first thought was "Old Husband."  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

LibraryLady

« Reply #1750 on: October 04, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
Could be "old Husband"   ;D

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1751 on: October 04, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

Hey!  Watch it!!   :(

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1752 on: October 04, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

Hey!  Watch it!!   :(

What? Nothing wrong with that. Mine is 70 + one month and still does quite well. If I ever used "DH", I would be tempted to use "OH" now that it's been mentioned.  :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1753 on: October 04, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
VorGuy turns 60 next month...but I don't think that he wants to become OH - at least the Vor recognizes his years of military service...in a way that Old wouldn't.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1754 on: October 04, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
I know someone who uses it as shorthand for "outlaw husband," because she and her partner had a commitment ceremony and big party without a marriage license, with an officiant who wasn't recognized by their state. Having seen that first, I hadn't thought of "other half," so thank you for that gloss--I'm on a board where a lot of the posters say "OH" and I hadn't wanted to ask what it stood for there.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.