Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 713039 times)

purplerainbow

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1755 on: October 04, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
Argh, scammers.

I had one try and catch me out at work once.
I was covering Reception for the day, a job I'm not too confident doing in the first place, although I try my best. Switchboard is easy enough, and if you know who you want to talk to/are happy to take advice on who would be best to talk to about something, I know most members of staff well enough to know if they can handle something/help with something specific. Tell me about a problem, though, or ask me something I haven't anticipated, and I freeze, rabbit-in-headlights style.

So, on this occasion, I was on Reception (not my usual job, I was needed for emergency cover), and I received a phone call from a man who was extremely insistent that I follow his instructions immediately. (Later, I learned it was a scam, as I suspected.) I didn't catch who/where he was calling from, but he was insistent that there was an error message on my computer screen (there wasn't), and that I should follow his direct instructions.
He became more and more irate every time I said that, no, there was no error message on my screen, and that if there was a problem, I could connect him to our IT manager, who would know more about any problems. Eventually I just cut him off mid-sentence and connected him to our IT manager (sorry!), as he's a no-nonsense person. I did suspect it was a scam, but still had a slight edge of paranoia that there could be something wrong - but at least if I forwarded it to IT, they would be able to do something about it if there really was a problem.

Sorry, but I'm not taking instructions from some random stranger over the phone who won't even explain to me what I would be doing. I took a Psychology class at school, and have read/seen videos/heard all sorts of stories about why you shouldn't take instructions from someone over the phone like that. (Eg one experiment where nurses were told by a "doctor" over the phone, a certain amount of a drug to inject patients with, that could be dangerous. Of course they were stopped by the experimenters before they actually did it.)
If I'm taking instructions for use on work computers, it's either from senior staff, or the IT department.

Turned out I was right - it was a scam. Apparently these people call you up saying there's an error on your screen/problem with your network, and if you just follow their instructions and go to xyz website and click on abc link/fill in efg details, it'll all be "fixed". (Ie, you get a virus/they hack your system/use you as a spambot/extort money, etc etc.)
They rely on the first person they speak to being naive/trusting/alarmist, and do NOT want to speak to your IT department.  If you're in any doubt, I'd send a quick email/connect them to, the IT dept.

Apparently they tried it on the mother of one of our IT guys. She's a bit of a technophobe, but extremely stubborn. She told them there's no point telling her what to do, as she hardly knows how to even turn on the PC. But her son's an IT technician, so if there's a problem, he'd fix it. Thank you, buh-bye.   :P

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1756 on: October 04, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
My Dad has started playing along with those calls.  You see, he doesn't even OWN a computer. 
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Micah

« Reply #1757 on: October 04, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »
Sorry, I use OH (Other Half) for want of a better term. We're not married, but we've been together for nine years and have a child, so boyfriend doesn't really fit. I used DP (dear partner) for a while but people kept assuming I was in a same s*x relationship.

If I have time I like to play with the 'your computer has serious error/viruses' scam callers. I had one on the line for over half an hour once. I kept telling him that I didn't know how to turn the computer on, my boyfriend usually did that for me. In the end I had him saying "Madam, please don't cry! You just push the button!" I wasn't crying, I was trying so hard not to fall on the floor laughing that I sounded like I was choking.  >:D
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1758 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
My Dad has started playing along with those calls.  You see, he doesn't even OWN a computer.

:)  :D  ;D

On the other hand, I do kind of feel sad for the people who have to do that because they are so desperite for jobs.............. :'( and then get disappointed that they don't get a sale.

That is why we don't answer the phone.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1759 on: October 04, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating how to deal with a sort-of-return situation myself.  I've bought Coke (sometimes actual Coke, sometimes Coke Zero) a few times from Walmart, in big 24-packs.  Several times, mostly with the Coke Zero, I found a can of Coke that had leaked out.  In *one* case, it had actually leaked out while it was in the box, and the box was damp (and leaked in my kitchen).  However, the other several times it happened, there was a can that was mostly empty, but it wasn't leaking and there was no wetness anywhere.  So either it leaked out at some point earlier, or the can never got filled all the way.  Also, not infrequently, a large number of the cans in the case would have distorted tops that were misshapen and hard to drink from.  The middle of the top would be as much as an inch higher than the sides.  I've been contemplating talking to Walmart about it, but trying to figure out how to do so.  I'm concerned they might think that I'm just not being gentle enough with the cases.  I'm assuming either somebody is throwing the cases, or that somehow the drinks are getting damaged in production or shipping.  I've never had this happen at any other store, though.
Sounds like the cases have gotten frozen, MP.  That will distort the shape of the can; remember that water expands as it freezes.  If it expands enough that it creates a pinhole crack, then the soda will leak away.  Is there a particular time of year that you notice it more than others?

I remember taking a sixpack back to the store because one of the cans was empty and I could see a pinhole at the bottom.  Come to find out that DD2 had taken it out of that plastic ring thingummy that holds them together, poked the hole herself, sucked out the contents, and put it back in the plastic ring.  Kids! ::)
Or if you are in a hot area the cans got so hot they exploded. had that happen in the back of my car - joys of living in the subtropics.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1760 on: October 04, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
Could be "old Husband"   ;D

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

Hey!  Watch it!!   :(

What? Nothing wrong with that. Mine is 70 + one month and still does quite well. If I ever used "DH", I would be tempted to use "OH" now that it's been mentioned.  :)

I realize that being 'over seventy' qualifies one as being "old", especially to people who are under 70!  But I don't think of myself as being "old" and don't especially enjoy being categorized that way.  :)

daen

« Reply #1761 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:37 PM »

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

What? Nothing wrong with that. Mine is 70 + one month and still does quite well. If I ever used "DH", I would be tempted to use "OH" now that it's been mentioned.  :)

I realize that being 'over seventy' qualifies one as being "old", especially to people who are under 70!  But I don't think of myself as being "old" and don't especially enjoy being categorized that way.  :)

I rented office space in a senior center for a while. It changes one's perspective... I went from "everyone older than my parents is old," to "She's not old - she's barely eighty-seven!"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1762 on: October 04, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating how to deal with a sort-of-return situation myself.  I've bought Coke (sometimes actual Coke, sometimes Coke Zero) a few times from Walmart, in big 24-packs.  Several times, mostly with the Coke Zero, I found a can of Coke that had leaked out.  In *one* case, it had actually leaked out while it was in the box, and the box was damp (and leaked in my kitchen).  However, the other several times it happened, there was a can that was mostly empty, but it wasn't leaking and there was no wetness anywhere.  So either it leaked out at some point earlier, or the can never got filled all the way.  Also, not infrequently, a large number of the cans in the case would have distorted tops that were misshapen and hard to drink from.  The middle of the top would be as much as an inch higher than the sides.  I've been contemplating talking to Walmart about it, but trying to figure out how to do so.  I'm concerned they might think that I'm just not being gentle enough with the cases.  I'm assuming either somebody is throwing the cases, or that somehow the drinks are getting damaged in production or shipping.  I've never had this happen at any other store, though.
Sounds like the cases have gotten frozen, MP.  That will distort the shape of the can; remember that water expands as it freezes.  If it expands enough that it creates a pinhole crack, then the soda will leak away.  Is there a particular time of year that you notice it more than others?

I remember taking a sixpack back to the store because one of the cans was empty and I could see a pinhole at the bottom.  Come to find out that DD2 had taken it out of that plastic ring thingummy that holds them together, poked the hole herself, sucked out the contents, and put it back in the plastic ring.  Kids! ::)
Or if you are in a hot area the cans got so hot they exploded. had that happen in the back of my car - joys of living in the subtropics.

I'm very careful not to leave them in the car, just in case.  No subtropics here, but it can still get hot enough during the day in a car to make them burst.

I just bought two more packs today, and the few that I pulled out to put in the fridge were fine.  But if any are bad, I'll be giving Walmart a call.  I didn't get any Coke Zero this time, and I think I had more problems in general with Coke Zeros than with Cokes, so they might be okay.

Iris

« Reply #1763 on: October 05, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

You must be like the retired teacher who fills in for us sometimes who once had me (jovially) saying "I'm sorry, I meant incredibly young retired people, those young whipper snappers" before she would be satisfied  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1764 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:17 AM »
VorGuy turns 60 next month...but I don't think that he wants to become OH - at least the Vor recognizes his years of military service...in a way that Old wouldn't.

Sorry, I know it's OT but would you mind explaining this please?  I tried googling "vor" and "vor military" but I couldn't find anything and don't understand :(  thank you.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1765 on: October 05, 2013, 05:31:07 AM »
VorGuy turns 60 next month...but I don't think that he wants to become OH - at least the Vor recognizes his years of military service...in a way that Old wouldn't.

Sorry, I know it's OT but would you mind explaining this please?  I tried googling "vor" and "vor military" but I couldn't find anything and don't understand :(  thank you.

It's a reference to a book series by Lois McMaster Bujold, commonly called the 'Vor Saga' or 'Vorkosiverse'. One culture in the books has a military caste/aristocracy, all of whom have a Vor- prefix on their names. http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor has more details.

(Awesome series, by the way. ;D)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1766 on: October 05, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
Thank you!  I'll take a look :)

Phoebelion

« Reply #1767 on: October 05, 2013, 06:53:21 AM »
I recently had a bout of pneumonia that landed me in the hospital.  I didn't even know I was running a 102.5 fever as I'm always burning up.  Anyway, the follow up was with a new doctor. 

Major surprise as he was on time for my appointment.  As I was joking about it with him,  he laughed and responded that he has determined that geriatric patients have NO problem walking out on appointments.  I instantly blurted out "but I'm not old".  With a stunned look on his face he said

"Phoebe, you're 63".

My response - "oh, yea - forgot about that". 

We both laughed and carried on.  He's a keeper - our humor bones match.

So now I'm milking the "I'm old".   It's not working - hmph!

Carotte

« Reply #1768 on: October 05, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »

"Phoebe, you're 63".

My response - "oh, yea - forgot about that". 

While on holiday I had to remind my parents that they actually can take advantage of the senior discount since they are, well, seniors now (+60 here)!
I think since they both still work full time (and my mom looks like she's barely 50) it never crossed their mind.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1769 on: October 05, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »

It's a reference to a book series by Lois McMaster Bujold, commonly called the 'Vor Saga' or 'Vorkosiverse'. One culture in the books has a military caste/aristocracy, all of whom have a Vor- prefix on their names. http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor has more details.

(Awesome series, by the way. ;D)

I was not on the computer at this hour of the morning (between 3 and 4 am local time) so I didn't get to explain this one - but yeah, Lois McMasters Bujold - Baen Books - if you want the ebooks at a good price or need to know if the local bookstore might be able to order any that aren't in stock!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?