Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 626074 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1770 on: October 05, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
I recently found this in my spam folder.  The sending email address is a French domain, with a male-sounding name.  The purported sender, a well known Australian mining magnate, is currently embroiled in a legal battle with her own children over the family fortune, and not, I understand, of a particularly philanthropic nature.

"My Dear Beloved Greetings to you my Dear Beloved, my name is Mrs. Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx, a great citizen of Australia,born in Perth, Western Australia,I have a mission for you worth ($200,000,000.00) Two Hundred Million Dollars which I intend to use for CHARITY.Pls reply if intrested God Bless You. Mrs Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx"

Yeah, right...  Please try harder, Mr Spammer.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1771 on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
My Dad has started playing along with those calls.  You see, he doesn't even OWN a computer.

:)  :D  ;D

On the other hand, I do kind of feel sad for the people who have to do that because they are so desperite for jobs.............. :'( and then get disappointed that they don't get a sale.

That is why we don't answer the phone.

That and ridiculous cost are why we haven't had a home phone in 10+ years.

StarFaerie

« Reply #1772 on: October 05, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
VorGuy turns 60 next month...but I don't think that he wants to become OH - at least the Vor recognizes his years of military service...in a way that Old wouldn't.

Sorry, I know it's OT but would you mind explaining this please?  I tried googling "vor" and "vor military" but I couldn't find anything and don't understand :(  thank you.

It's a reference to a book series by Lois McMaster Bujold, commonly called the 'Vor Saga' or 'Vorkosiverse'. One culture in the books has a military caste/aristocracy, all of whom have a Vor- prefix on their names. http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor has more details.

(Awesome series, by the way. ;D)

I was not on the computer at this hour of the morning (between 3 and 4 am local time) so I didn't get to explain this one - but yeah, Lois McMasters Bujold - Baen Books - if you want the ebooks at a good price or need to know if the local bookstore might be able to order any that aren't in stock!

Thank you, thank you, Thank You! I'm just on the third book and I was baulking a bit at the Amazon Kindle book prices and some are not available for Australian download. Plus so many of my other favourite authors are there so cheap. You rock!

Iris

« Reply #1773 on: October 05, 2013, 08:19:22 PM »
I recently found this in my spam folder.  The sending email address is a French domain, with a male-sounding name.  The purported sender, a well known Australian mining magnate, is currently embroiled in a legal battle with her own children over the family fortune, and not, I understand, of a particularly philanthropic nature.

"My Dear Beloved Greetings to you my Dear Beloved, my name is Mrs. Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx, a great citizen of Australia,born in Perth, Western Australia,I have a mission for you worth ($200,000,000.00) Two Hundred Million Dollars which I intend to use for CHARITY.Pls reply if intrested God Bless You. Mrs Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx"

Yeah, right...  Please try harder, Mr Spammer.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Of all the people to choose. That is hilarious.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1774 on: October 09, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
Oy vey! I got one through Skype!

Hello k2002,   

I am sorry to contact you unannounced through this medium. I am Mr. Abdulkarim Alzarouni, Deputy General Manager-Audit & Compliance at National Bank of Abu Dhabi here in UAE . I write you this proposal in good faith hoping that I will rely on you . In 2006, one Mr. Omar k2002who has same surname as yours and who has your country in his file as his place of origin, made a fixed deposit for 36 calendar months, valued at $18,400,000.00 with my bank. I was his account officer before I rose to the position of the auditor general now. The maturity date for this deposit contract was 16th of January 2009. Unfortunately, while on a business trip ,he died in a deadly earthquake that occurred on May 12, 2008 in Sichuan province of China which killed at least 68,000 people.

Since the last quarter of 2009 until today,the management of my bank have been finding a means to reach him so as ascertain if he will want to roll over the Deposit or have the contract sum withdraw .Since September 2009,when I discovered that this will happen , I learnt of his death ,so I have tried to think up a procedure to preserve this fund and use the proceed for charity .

Some directors here have been trying to find out from me the information about this account and the owner, but I have kept it closed because, I know that if they become aware that Mr k2002 is now late, they will corner the funds for themselves. Therefore, I am seeking your co-operation to present you as the one to benefit from his fund at his death since you have the same name, so that my bank head quarters will pay the funds to you. I have done enough inside bank arrangement and will only have to put in your details into the information network in the bank computers and reflect you as his next of kin.

I am not a greedy person, so I am suggesting we share the funds equal,50/50% to both parties My share will assist me to start a charity organization to help the poor and also own a company which has been my dream.

Let me know your mind on this and please do treat this information as TOP SECRET. At the receipt of your reply, strictly through my personal email address, abdulkarim_alzarouni02@xxxxxx.com I will give you details of the transaction. And a copy of the Deposit certificate of the fund and also the incorporation certificate of the company that generated the fund .

Anticipating your communication.

Mr. Abdulkarim Alzarouni
abdulkarim_alzarouni02@xxxxxx.com

I'm really sorry that Mr. Omar k2002 is late, but perhaps he should have left home earlier? Sorry Mr. Alzarouni, I'm completely uninterested in committing fraud against your employer. They probably take as dim a view about that sort of thing as I do.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jmarvellous

« Reply #1775 on: October 09, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
"I am not a greedy person," so I just want to cheat this man's estate out of $9 million.

I really like the way this one was written!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1776 on: October 09, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
There's a supposed rule that unskilled liars tend to add extra details, under the belief that you won't think they could just come up with such a vivid picture if it were not true. So, I'm pretty sure that when the letter writer is telling you how many people died in a Chinese earthquake while trying to get you to share his ill-gotten gains, he's a living example of this principle.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1777 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
I hung up on a charity telemarketer recently, because I was worried it was a scam.

She called up and identified herself as representing, let's call it, "St. Nowhere". Now, I've been a long-time contributor to St. Nowhere's Hospital, but she didn't exactly use the full name, and I don't recall them calling for donations before.

She said she'd take my credit card number directly - this surprised me, because most charities in my area do the "I'll hand you over to my supervisor to take your information".

Finally, she kept saying how I would be sent a "gift receipt," not a "tax receipt."

So, while I support St. Nowhere's work, I'm not giving her any credit card information. The whole thing felt very sketchy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1778 on: October 09, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
Even if it's charities I donate to regularly, I just say "I don't do this sort of business by phone. Please send me a letter." Sometimes they even do.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1779 on: October 09, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
I have a couple of regulars, that I trust. But I know that some scam charities work by getting names close, but not exactly, the same as a real charity. And a telemarketer who keeps saying "gift receipt" for "tax receipt" (she did it at least twice)? Well, if she's legitimate, she's desperately in need of remedial training.

It almost sounds like "plausible deniability". "What, you didn't get a tax receipt? Well, we're not actually a registered charity. But here's a lovely receipt for the gift you gave us!"

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1780 on: October 09, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Based on Twik's story, I'll put out my usual PSA.  Don't ever ever EVAR give your financial or personal information to someone who calls you on the phone.  Just don't do it.  No matter what your caller ID says you never have proof positive that they are really who they say they are, so don't do it.  Caller ID can be falsified using hardware that can be bought off the Internet.  You know those police stings where an officer uses a modulator to sound like an underage girl on the phone to bust predators?  That equipment is pretty cheap.  Whenever you get a call, remember that you can't ask the caller to show you an ID and you can't see them.

If you wish to do such business by phone, then you should initiate the call yourself so you're sure of who you're talking with.  Any charity or business that's worth doing business with will have a published number and an understanding of such caution.

Virg

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1781 on: October 09, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
I was calling a charity once to buy one of their lottery tickets. (A number of charities do this, here in Ontario.  Not sure if it is legal elsewhere.)  The gentleman who I got on the phone?  Didn't seem to know what he was doing.  Didn't answer the phone correctly, couldn't pull up my information on the computer, repeated the same thing back to me several times.  I finally told him that I wasn't comfortable dealing with him and that I'd call back later.  Called again and got someone else, who picked up the phone too quickly because I heard, 'They are calling back'.  So he must have said something to his coworkers.

But sorry - if you don't seem to know what you are doing, even though I called you?  I'm not giving you my financial information.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1782 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
I have a couple of regulars, that I trust. But I know that some scam charities work by getting names close, but not exactly, the same as a real charity. And a telemarketer who keeps saying "gift receipt" for "tax receipt" (she did it at least twice)? Well, if she's legitimate, she's desperately in need of remedial training.

It almost sounds like "plausible deniability". "What, you didn't get a tax receipt? Well, we're not actually a registered charity. But here's a lovely receipt for the gift you gave us!"

They don't even have to do that much - they can solicit you in the name of whatever charity they want to and once they have your credit card number, they use/sell it.  And they're notoriously hard to catch, because they change numbers and locations all the time.  There are plenty of illegal operations which don't even bother trying to skirt the law - they just full-on ignore it.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1783 on: October 10, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
Saw this today and knew I had to post it here :)

http://notalwaysworking.com/an-honest-scam/31821

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1784 on: October 11, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
In the spam folder this morning:

MRS. GINETTE ST. PAUL <test@cheilmc.co.kr>

Oct 9 (2 days ago)

to

Be careful with this message. Many people marked similar messages as phishing scams, so this might contain unsafe content.  Learn more

ATTENTION,

CONTACT HARRY CARLSON HE IS IN JOHN F KENNEDY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT NEW
 YORK WITH YOUR CONSIGNMENT VALUE OF $9.2 MILLION DOLLARS, CONTACT HIM ON HIS
 EMAIL (dip_harry@yahoo.es) ALSO CALL HIM VIA HIS CELL NUMBER #917-965-8941
 AND
 RECONFIRM TO HIM.

YOUR FULL NAME============
 YOUR COUNTRY==============
 YOUR ADDRESS==============
 TELEPHONE=================
 YOUR NEAREST AIRPORT======

NOTE: HE DOES NOT KNOW THE CONTENT OF THE BOX AND YOU MUST TRY NOT TO LET
 HIM KNOW FOR SECURITY REASONS. JUST RECONFIRM YOUR DELIVERY ADDRESS AND
 THE ABOVE INFO AND HE WILL PROCEED WITH THE DELIVERY TO YOUR DOORSTEP.

BEST REGARDS
 MRS. GINETTE PAUL.
 DIRECTOR DHL COURIER COMPANY.
 +229 6872-0106