News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2017, 05:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2241388 times)

daen

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1755 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »
Could be "old Husband"   ;D

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

Hey!  Watch it!!   :(

What? Nothing wrong with that. Mine is 70 + one month and still does quite well. If I ever used "DH", I would be tempted to use "OH" now that it's been mentioned.  :)

I realize that being 'over seventy' qualifies one as being "old", especially to people who are under 70!  But I don't think of myself as being "old" and don't especially enjoy being categorized that way.  :)

I rented office space in a senior center for a while. It changes one's perspective... I went from "everyone older than my parents is old," to "She's not old - she's barely eighty-seven!"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1756 on: October 04, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating how to deal with a sort-of-return situation myself.  I've bought Coke (sometimes actual Coke, sometimes Coke Zero) a few times from Walmart, in big 24-packs.  Several times, mostly with the Coke Zero, I found a can of Coke that had leaked out.  In *one* case, it had actually leaked out while it was in the box, and the box was damp (and leaked in my kitchen).  However, the other several times it happened, there was a can that was mostly empty, but it wasn't leaking and there was no wetness anywhere.  So either it leaked out at some point earlier, or the can never got filled all the way.  Also, not infrequently, a large number of the cans in the case would have distorted tops that were misshapen and hard to drink from.  The middle of the top would be as much as an inch higher than the sides.  I've been contemplating talking to Walmart about it, but trying to figure out how to do so.  I'm concerned they might think that I'm just not being gentle enough with the cases.  I'm assuming either somebody is throwing the cases, or that somehow the drinks are getting damaged in production or shipping.  I've never had this happen at any other store, though.
Sounds like the cases have gotten frozen, MP.  That will distort the shape of the can; remember that water expands as it freezes.  If it expands enough that it creates a pinhole crack, then the soda will leak away.  Is there a particular time of year that you notice it more than others?

I remember taking a sixpack back to the store because one of the cans was empty and I could see a pinhole at the bottom.  Come to find out that DD2 had taken it out of that plastic ring thingummy that holds them together, poked the hole herself, sucked out the contents, and put it back in the plastic ring.  Kids! ::)
Or if you are in a hot area the cans got so hot they exploded. had that happen in the back of my car - joys of living in the subtropics.

I'm very careful not to leave them in the car, just in case.  No subtropics here, but it can still get hot enough during the day in a car to make them burst.

I just bought two more packs today, and the few that I pulled out to put in the fridge were fine.  But if any are bad, I'll be giving Walmart a call.  I didn't get any Coke Zero this time, and I think I had more problems in general with Coke Zeros than with Cokes, so they might be okay.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Iris

« Reply #1757 on: October 04, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
Could be "old Husband"   ;D

Mine is nearly 70 ;)

Hey!  Watch it!!   :(

What? Nothing wrong with that. Mine is 70 + one month and still does quite well. If I ever used "DH", I would be tempted to use "OH" now that it's been mentioned.  :)

I realize that being 'over seventy' qualifies one as being "old", especially to people who are under 70!  But I don't think of myself as being "old" and don't especially enjoy being categorized that way.  :)

You must be like the retired teacher who fills in for us sometimes who once had me (jovially) saying "I'm sorry, I meant incredibly young retired people, those young whipper snappers" before she would be satisfied  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1758 on: October 05, 2013, 03:53:17 AM »
VorGuy turns 60 next month...but I don't think that he wants to become OH - at least the Vor recognizes his years of military service...in a way that Old wouldn't.

Sorry, I know it's OT but would you mind explaining this please?  I tried googling "vor" and "vor military" but I couldn't find anything and don't understand :(  thank you.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1759 on: October 05, 2013, 04:31:07 AM »
VorGuy turns 60 next month...but I don't think that he wants to become OH - at least the Vor recognizes his years of military service...in a way that Old wouldn't.

Sorry, I know it's OT but would you mind explaining this please?  I tried googling "vor" and "vor military" but I couldn't find anything and don't understand :(  thank you.

It's a reference to a book series by Lois McMaster Bujold, commonly called the 'Vor Saga' or 'Vorkosiverse'. One culture in the books has a military caste/aristocracy, all of whom have a Vor- prefix on their names. http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor has more details.

(Awesome series, by the way. ;D)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1760 on: October 05, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »
Thank you!  I'll take a look :)

Phoebelion

« Reply #1761 on: October 05, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »
I recently had a bout of pneumonia that landed me in the hospital.  I didn't even know I was running a 102.5 fever as I'm always burning up.  Anyway, the follow up was with a new doctor. 

Major surprise as he was on time for my appointment.  As I was joking about it with him,  he laughed and responded that he has determined that geriatric patients have NO problem walking out on appointments.  I instantly blurted out "but I'm not old".  With a stunned look on his face he said

"Phoebe, you're 63".

My response - "oh, yea - forgot about that". 

We both laughed and carried on.  He's a keeper - our humor bones match.

So now I'm milking the "I'm old".   It's not working - hmph!

Carotte

« Reply #1762 on: October 05, 2013, 06:47:39 AM »

"Phoebe, you're 63".

My response - "oh, yea - forgot about that". 

While on holiday I had to remind my parents that they actually can take advantage of the senior discount since they are, well, seniors now (+60 here)!
I think since they both still work full time (and my mom looks like she's barely 50) it never crossed their mind.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1763 on: October 05, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »

It's a reference to a book series by Lois McMaster Bujold, commonly called the 'Vor Saga' or 'Vorkosiverse'. One culture in the books has a military caste/aristocracy, all of whom have a Vor- prefix on their names. http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor has more details.

I was not on the computer at this hour of the morning (between 3 and 4 am local time) so I didn't get to explain this one - but yeah, Lois McMasters Bujold - Baen Books - if you want the ebooks at a good price or need to know if the local bookstore might be able to order any that aren't in stock!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1764 on: October 05, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
I recently found this in my spam folder.  The sending email address is a French domain, with a male-sounding name.  The purported sender, a well known Australian mining magnate, is currently embroiled in a legal battle with her own children over the family fortune, and not, I understand, of a particularly philanthropic nature.

"My Dear Beloved Greetings to you my Dear Beloved, my name is Mrs. Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx, a great citizen of Australia,born in Perth, Western Australia,I have a mission for you worth ($200,000,000.00) Two Hundred Million Dollars which I intend to use for CHARITY.Pls reply if intrested God Bless You. Mrs Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx"

Yeah, right...  Please try harder, Mr Spammer.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1765 on: October 05, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
My Dad has started playing along with those calls.  You see, he doesn't even OWN a computer.

:)  :D  ;D

On the other hand, I do kind of feel sad for the people who have to do that because they are so desperite for jobs.............. :'( and then get disappointed that they don't get a sale.

That is why we don't answer the phone.

That and ridiculous cost are why we haven't had a home phone in 10+ years.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

StarFaerie

« Reply #1766 on: October 05, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »

I was not on the computer at this hour of the morning (between 3 and 4 am local time) so I didn't get to explain this one - but yeah, Lois McMasters Bujold - Baen Books - if you want the ebooks at a good price or need to know if the local bookstore might be able to order any that aren't in stock!

Thank you, thank you, Thank You! I'm just on the third book and I was baulking a bit at the Amazon Kindle book prices and some are not available for Australian download. Plus so many of my other favourite authors are there so cheap. You rock!

Iris

« Reply #1767 on: October 05, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »
I recently found this in my spam folder.  The sending email address is a French domain, with a male-sounding name.  The purported sender, a well known Australian mining magnate, is currently embroiled in a legal battle with her own children over the family fortune, and not, I understand, of a particularly philanthropic nature.

"My Dear Beloved Greetings to you my Dear Beloved, my name is Mrs. Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx, a great citizen of Australia,born in Perth, Western Australia,I have a mission for you worth ($200,000,000.00) Two Hundred Million Dollars which I intend to use for CHARITY.Pls reply if intrested God Bless You. Mrs Gxxx Hxxx Rxxxxxxx"

Yeah, right...  Please try harder, Mr Spammer.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Of all the people to choose. That is hilarious.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1768 on: October 08, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »
Oy vey! I got one through Skype!

Hello k2002,   

I am sorry to contact you unannounced through this medium. I am Mr. Abdulkarim Alzarouni, Deputy General Manager-Audit & Compliance at National Bank of Abu Dhabi here in UAE . I write you this proposal in good faith hoping that I will rely on you . In 2006, one Mr. Omar k2002who has same surname as yours and who has your country in his file as his place of origin, made a fixed deposit for 36 calendar months, valued at $18,400,000.00 with my bank. I was his account officer before I rose to the position of the auditor general now. The maturity date for this deposit contract was 16th of January 2009. Unfortunately, while on a business trip ,he died in a deadly earthquake that occurred on May 12, 2008 in Sichuan province of China which killed at least 68,000 people.

Since the last quarter of 2009 until today,the management of my bank have been finding a means to reach him so as ascertain if he will want to roll over the Deposit or have the contract sum withdraw .Since September 2009,when I discovered that this will happen , I learnt of his death ,so I have tried to think up a procedure to preserve this fund and use the proceed for charity .

Some directors here have been trying to find out from me the information about this account and the owner, but I have kept it closed because, I know that if they become aware that Mr k2002 is now late, they will corner the funds for themselves. Therefore, I am seeking your co-operation to present you as the one to benefit from his fund at his death since you have the same name, so that my bank head quarters will pay the funds to you. I have done enough inside bank arrangement and will only have to put in your details into the information network in the bank computers and reflect you as his next of kin.

I am not a greedy person, so I am suggesting we share the funds equal,50/50% to both parties My share will assist me to start a charity organization to help the poor and also own a company which has been my dream.

Let me know your mind on this and please do treat this information as TOP SECRET. At the receipt of your reply, strictly through my personal email address, abdulkarim_alzarouni02@xxxxxx.com I will give you details of the transaction. And a copy of the Deposit certificate of the fund and also the incorporation certificate of the company that generated the fund .

Anticipating your communication.

Mr. Abdulkarim Alzarouni
abdulkarim_alzarouni02@xxxxxx.com

I'm really sorry that Mr. Omar k2002 is late, but perhaps he should have left home earlier? Sorry Mr. Alzarouni, I'm completely uninterested in committing fraud against your employer. They probably take as dim a view about that sort of thing as I do.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1769 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:45 AM »
"I am not a greedy person," so I just want to cheat this man's estate out of $9 million.

I really like the way this one was written!