News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 08:11:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2256130 times)

Twik

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1770 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
There's a supposed rule that unskilled liars tend to add extra details, under the belief that you won't think they could just come up with such a vivid picture if it were not true. So, I'm pretty sure that when the letter writer is telling you how many people died in a Chinese earthquake while trying to get you to share his ill-gotten gains, he's a living example of this principle.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

« Reply #1771 on: October 09, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
I hung up on a charity telemarketer recently, because I was worried it was a scam.

She called up and identified herself as representing, let's call it, "St. Nowhere". Now, I've been a long-time contributor to St. Nowhere's Hospital, but she didn't exactly use the full name, and I don't recall them calling for donations before.

She said she'd take my credit card number directly - this surprised me, because most charities in my area do the "I'll hand you over to my supervisor to take your information".

Finally, she kept saying how I would be sent a "gift receipt," not a "tax receipt."

So, while I support St. Nowhere's work, I'm not giving her any credit card information. The whole thing felt very sketchy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1772 on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »
Even if it's charities I donate to regularly, I just say "I don't do this sort of business by phone. Please send me a letter." Sometimes they even do.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Twik

« Reply #1773 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
I have a couple of regulars, that I trust. But I know that some scam charities work by getting names close, but not exactly, the same as a real charity. And a telemarketer who keeps saying "gift receipt" for "tax receipt" (she did it at least twice)? Well, if she's legitimate, she's desperately in need of remedial training.

It almost sounds like "plausible deniability". "What, you didn't get a tax receipt? Well, we're not actually a registered charity. But here's a lovely receipt for the gift you gave us!"

Virg

« Reply #1774 on: October 09, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Based on Twik's story, I'll put out my usual PSA.  Don't ever ever EVAR give your financial or personal information to someone who calls you on the phone.  Just don't do it.  No matter what your caller ID says you never have proof positive that they are really who they say they are, so don't do it.  Caller ID can be falsified using hardware that can be bought off the Internet.  You know those police stings where an officer uses a modulator to sound like an underage girl on the phone to bust predators?  That equipment is pretty cheap.  Whenever you get a call, remember that you can't ask the caller to show you an ID and you can't see them.

If you wish to do such business by phone, then you should initiate the call yourself so you're sure of who you're talking with.  Any charity or business that's worth doing business with will have a published number and an understanding of such caution.

Virg

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1775 on: October 09, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
I was calling a charity once to buy one of their lottery tickets. (A number of charities do this, here in Ontario.  Not sure if it is legal elsewhere.)  The gentleman who I got on the phone?  Didn't seem to know what he was doing.  Didn't answer the phone correctly, couldn't pull up my information on the computer, repeated the same thing back to me several times.  I finally told him that I wasn't comfortable dealing with him and that I'd call back later.  Called again and got someone else, who picked up the phone too quickly because I heard, 'They are calling back'.  So he must have said something to his coworkers.

But sorry - if you don't seem to know what you are doing, even though I called you?  I'm not giving you my financial information.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1776 on: October 09, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »
I have a couple of regulars, that I trust. But I know that some scam charities work by getting names close, but not exactly, the same as a real charity. And a telemarketer who keeps saying "gift receipt" for "tax receipt" (she did it at least twice)? Well, if she's legitimate, she's desperately in need of remedial training.

It almost sounds like "plausible deniability". "What, you didn't get a tax receipt? Well, we're not actually a registered charity. But here's a lovely receipt for the gift you gave us!"

They don't even have to do that much - they can solicit you in the name of whatever charity they want to and once they have your credit card number, they use/sell it.  And they're notoriously hard to catch, because they change numbers and locations all the time.  There are plenty of illegal operations which don't even bother trying to skirt the law - they just full-on ignore it.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #1777 on: October 10, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »
Saw this today and knew I had to post it here :)

http://notalwaysworking.com/an-honest-scam/31821

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1778 on: October 11, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »
In the spam folder this morning:

MRS. GINETTE ST. PAUL <test@cheilmc.co.kr>

Oct 9 (2 days ago)

to

Be careful with this message. Many people marked similar messages as phishing scams, so this might contain unsafe content.  Learn more

ATTENTION,

CONTACT HARRY CARLSON HE IS IN JOHN F KENNEDY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT NEW
 YORK WITH YOUR CONSIGNMENT VALUE OF $9.2 MILLION DOLLARS, CONTACT HIM ON HIS
 EMAIL (dip_harry@yahoo.es) ALSO CALL HIM VIA HIS CELL NUMBER #917-965-8941
 AND
 RECONFIRM TO HIM.

YOUR FULL NAME============
 YOUR COUNTRY==============
 YOUR ADDRESS==============
 TELEPHONE=================
 YOUR NEAREST AIRPORT======

NOTE: HE DOES NOT KNOW THE CONTENT OF THE BOX AND YOU MUST TRY NOT TO LET
 HIM KNOW FOR SECURITY REASONS. JUST RECONFIRM YOUR DELIVERY ADDRESS AND
 THE ABOVE INFO AND HE WILL PROCEED WITH THE DELIVERY TO YOUR DOORSTEP.

BEST REGARDS
 MRS. GINETTE PAUL.
 DIRECTOR DHL COURIER COMPANY.
 +229 6872-0106

Luci

« Reply #1779 on: October 11, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »

Oct 9 (2 days ago)

to

Be careful with this message. Many people marked similar messages as phishing scams, so this might contain unsafe content.  Learn more

ATTENTION,

Shame on you! Your disregarded the first sentence and shared with all of us! Now we are all going to call poor Harry and try to get in on the action.  ;)

Twik

« Reply #1780 on: October 11, 2013, 08:34:25 AM »
Saw this today and knew I had to post it here :)

http://notalwaysworking.com/an-honest-scam/31821

(blinks) I think we have a scammer who is not clear on the concept here.

I can see some na´ve young fellow wanting to "break into the business," and his more experienced elders playing the equivalent of the "snipe hunt" with him. "Yeah, call up and tell them you want to steal money from their computer. It never fails!"

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1781 on: October 11, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »

Oct 9 (2 days ago)

to

ATTENTION,

Shame on you! Your disregarded the first sentence and shared with all of us! Now we are all going to call poor Harry and try to get in on the action.  ;)

Yeah, LOL, the warning is actually from gmail. I should've removed it.

Virg

« Reply #1782 on: October 11, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
jayhawk wrote:

"Yeah, LOL, the warning is actually from gmail. I should've removed it."

The deep irony here is that I'm guessing that "Learn More" was a hotlink, so gmail was trying to teach you about being safe with emails by getting you to click a link in an email....

Virg

KarenK

« Reply #1783 on: October 11, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »
On the flip side of that, you can be honest about a product being damaged and the shop can refuse to believe it/blame you. I bought a CD years ago that didn't work so I swapped it for another, only to realise that the second disc also didn't work had a massive damaged area on it (which I hadn't thought to look for the first time). I took it back and was accused of causing the damage. I asked them to check the other copies of the same CD - only to find that they were ALL damaged. I got my refund, a free copy of the CD once they had one and a very sincere apology.

I had something similar once. I bought a DVD. It wouldn't play. Returned it. New DVD also wouldn't play. Returned it. 3rd DVD still wouldn't play. I returned it, suggested they check their stock as 3 in a row seemed like it might be caused by a batch problem.
They tried to refuse the refund claiming it must me my DVD player (despite the fact that every other disc I had played just fine.)

Fortunately, I'd bought my DVD player recently and from the same retailer, so I told them that, and confirmed that I was more than happy to return the DVD player instead if they preferred. hey then decided that they's refund the DVD instead.

The same happened to me. I bought a DVD, and it would not play in my blu ray player. Took it back, got another one, still would not play. Only cost 5 bucks.

Gave up and kept it.

Got a new blu ray player so I could stream Netflix. On a whim, tossed in the DVD. It played! I suspect it has something to do with updated software on the new blu ray player.

CakeBeret

« Reply #1784 on: October 11, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
Based on Twik's story, I'll put out my usual PSA.  Don't ever ever EVAR give your financial or personal information to someone who calls you on the phone.  Just don't do it.  No matter what your caller ID says you never have proof positive that they are really who they say they are, so don't do it.  Caller ID can be falsified using hardware that can be bought off the Internet.  You know those police stings where an officer uses a modulator to sound like an underage girl on the phone to bust predators?  That equipment is pretty cheap.  Whenever you get a call, remember that you can't ask the caller to show you an ID and you can't see them.

If you wish to do such business by phone, then you should initiate the call yourself so you're sure of who you're talking with.  Any charity or business that's worth doing business with will have a published number and an understanding of such caution.

Virg

My credit card company called me recently. I told them that I don't do business with anyone who calls me out of the blue and was a moment away from hanging up on him when he offered to verify that he actually was from Discover. He read off my last five transactions and last two payments to confirm that he was from my CC company and said he appreciated my caution.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."