News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 10:59:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2203728 times)

KarenK

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1800 on: October 14, 2013, 08:00:11 AM »
Yesterday, I went to Mass and turned off the volume on my phone.  I was reading some prayers on an application in the pew before Mass, and I got a call with a 8 digital phone # then a voice mail after I rejected the call that said call this # then press #1 for the security department.  I did an erase of message then blocked the number.  I found out later on some facebook pages that many residents in my area were getting the call from a place claiming to be a certain bank and phishing for detail.   I don't even bank with the place anyways!

Yeah, that actually was my bank, but since I don't answer numbers I don't recognize, I never got a call. I did get an e-mail from the bank saying that this was going on and to not give out any information over the phone.

Just an aside, but I was wondering why you turned off the ringer to your phone when you went to Massachusetts. Then I read further.  ;D

MissRose

« Reply #1801 on: October 14, 2013, 08:27:04 AM »
Yesterday, I went to Mass and turned off the volume on my phone.  I was reading some prayers on an application in the pew before Mass, and I got a call with a 8 digital phone # then a voice mail after I rejected the call that said call this # then press #1 for the security department.  I did an erase of message then blocked the number.  I found out later on some facebook pages that many residents in my area were getting the call from a place claiming to be a certain bank and phishing for detail.   I don't even bank with the place anyways!

Yeah, that actually was my bank, but since I don't answer numbers I don't recognize, I never got a call. I did get an e-mail from the bank saying that this was going on and to not give out any information over the phone.

Just an aside, but I was wondering why you turned off the ringer to your phone when you went to Massachusetts. Then I read further.  ;D

LOL that is okay.   I got a spam text with a weird phone # and email address recently, nope not replying to something I don't recognize or initiate.

I always make sure my ringer is on mute when going to a church building for any reason out of respect.

o_gal

« Reply #1802 on: October 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
Just got this one in my hotmail inbox - thought everyone would enjoy it. It's from "Tracey Waller (grizwaller96@aol.com)" who is obviously scraping someone's email address list. Since mine starts with s he/she is sending it to a bunch of other addresses beginning with s. Here is the entire text:

http://reelagroup.com/truthide.php Good actions ennoble us and we are the sons of our own deeds.Cervantes(C)

Great! I also know that knowledge embiggens even the smallest man, so now I think I'm set for life  :D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1803 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »
I had a call from "Google" on my work phone yesterday. It was a recorded message.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

StarFaerie

« Reply #1804 on: October 15, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »
Just got this one in my hotmail inbox - thought everyone would enjoy it. It's from "Tracey Waller (grizwaller96@aol.com)" who is obviously scraping someone's email address list. Since mine starts with s he/she is sending it to a bunch of other addresses beginning with s. Here is the entire text:

http://reelagroup.com/truthide.php Good actions ennoble us and we are the sons of our own deeds.Cervantes(C)

Great! I also know that knowledge embiggens even the smallest man, so now I think I'm set for life  :D

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1805 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
I had a call from "Google" on my work phone yesterday. It was a recorded message.

In their defense, this year when the Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel  Prize for Literature they notified the winner by phone.
It being the middle of the night in Canada, she did not answer her phone.

They left a message. ;D

However, this was definitely NOT a scam.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1806 on: October 15, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »

In their defense, this year when the Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel  Prize for Literature they notified the winner by phone.

They left a message. ;D

That's OK, Prof. Higgs found out he won for physics when someone congratulated him. Seems the Nobel committee had tried to call him, but had trouble reaching him, and he does not have a mobile phone.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
<3

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1808 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »

They left a message. ;D

That's OK, Prof. Higgs found out he won for physics when someone congratulated him. Seems the Nobel committee had tried to call him, but had trouble reaching him, and he does not have a mobile phone.

I read that he deliberately left the area so people would leave him the heck alone

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #1809 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
Just got another lovely one - from a Facebook post. "It's my birthday in a month, and I have picked out a REALLY nice tattoo from {tattoo artist} and I'm giving you, my friends, the opportunity to buy it for me as my birthday gift! Paypal or cash, I don't mind either one!"

Really???

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1810 on: October 17, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »

They left a message. ;D

I read that he deliberately left the area so people would leave him the heck alone

That's got to be the worst part of winning the Nobel.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

dawbs

« Reply #1811 on: October 17, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »

They left a message. ;D

Richard Feynman talks about, in one of his books (I *think* it was _Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman_), how he panicked and basically blurted out about wanting to decline to a journalist...who very kindly explained ins and outs to him and didn't publish a peep of it.
Which, all told, was awfully nice :)

EMuir

« Reply #1812 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
In a grocery store parking lot the other day, a 6 foot tall guy rode up to my partner and me on a bicycle.  He was wearing decent clothing, jean jacket and jeans and T-shirt.  While still up on his bicycle, towering over us, he asked us for a few bucks so he could go buy a piece of pizza.

My first thought was "Why do you need money when you're an able-bodied man who can work?"  (Our area is booming right now and everywhere is looking for workers, including fast food/entry level jobs).  I just kept walking to the store and my partner went back into the car.

Afterward I felt angry because he was obviously large and intimidating and using that to try and get money out of a couple of women.  Also, on a bicycle, he could leave the area quickly before cops could arrive even if they were called. Sigh.

MrTango

« Reply #1813 on: October 17, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »

They left a message. ;D

I'm sure that's an experience shared by a lot of people who suddenly become famous/have a lot of attention directed at them (lottery winners, high-profile crime victims, former staffers of a Congressman-turned-southern-california-Mayor who ends up pleading guilty to criminal charges related to harassment.)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1814 on: October 17, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »

I'm sure that's an experience shared by a lot of people who suddenly become famous/have a lot of attention directed at them (lottery winners, high-profile crime victims, former staffers of a Congressman-turned-southern-california-Mayor who ends up pleading guilty to criminal charges related to harassment.)

*snicker*