Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 566646 times)

Queen of Clubs

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1800 on: October 12, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »
Some people are just natural scammers, and they don't see anything wrong with it.  A woman I knew boasted to me about how she wanted this hard to acquire book, so she contacted the not very well known author's agent, told them she was a journalist and she'd write a review of the book if they'd send her a copy.  Somehow, she managed to convince them to do just that.  And no, she's not a journalist.

I googled her not so long ago and saw that she'd posted the same kind of thing to an author's website.  I wonder how many times it's worked for her.

I stopped having anything to do with her when I realised that lying came as naturally as breathing to her.  You couldn't trust anything she said.

Tini

« Reply #1801 on: October 12, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
Our next-door neighbours are such blatant mooches that within a very short time they have used up all the good will from everyone else around them. Unfortunately, I had let slip that my husband works in IT - big mistake.

They had my him sorting out their computer problem two evenings in a row with nary a thank you, let alone the traditional bottle of something nice, or some flowers or chocolate, and one of our other neighbours a couple of doors down who is a plumber spent one of his rare free Saturday mornings off clearing out their kitchen drain, only to be complimented out the door with the phrase 'we owe you one'.

I'm sorry, but they should have offered him payment. And a cup of coffee. And fulsome thanks.

If that wasn't enough, another Saturday morning she turned up at said plumber's door at 7.30 am. He was painting their own bedroom with his wife. Moocherina is all excited and says to him that he HAS TO drive her to Borgfeld (place about two miles up the road from here) because of a family emergency. Her and her three boys, because her husband isn't there.

And he doesn't have to pick her up again until tomorrow.

And - this is the bit that really cracked me up for some reason - he has to wait half an hour first because she has to bake something before they leave.

Sorry, he said, no can do. And he shut the door in her face.

Before anyone thinks he was being callous, we live in a town with excellent public transport. There's a tram line that runs directly from here to Borgfeld. Takes about ten minutes. They go every five to ten minutes in the daytime. There's also a taxi rank three minutes away from here. And in a real emergency two miles is not that far too walk, either. And how big an emergency could it have been if she had to bake something first? Unless, of course, it was a cake emergency...

I don't talk to them anymore, either, but that is not mooching related.

andi

« Reply #1802 on: October 12, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Just the the "you Have to" lines people give when they want something. My child learned at a very young age ttys phrase was most likely to get him nothing

squeakers

« Reply #1803 on: October 13, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
A certain relative of mine.  I haven't seen her is a decade but we are FB friends. So I have a ringside seat to her antics.

She married an abusive guy.  He beat her up (photos galore).  Which netted her bus ticket money from various relatives.  Which she did not use for bus tickets.  She stayed with him until... Next round her father went and picked her up and brought her back to Our State. She hates her mom for daring say anything bad about the way she is living her life.

She then mooched money off of her dad, her sister and relatives from her mom's side of the family. To go live in yet another state, where her mom lives.  Where she met the "man of her dreams". Photos of vacations to foreign locales, huge rock on her finger, awesome house.

Oops, can't afford that place we are living in a car.  More money sent by caring relatives.

Check out this fabulous apartment, the great furniture, more fun time stuff photos.

Oh, dear me, we have to move, we are being evicted.  Man of my dreams has a job that involves traveling so it will be just me and some of my kids.  Can anyone find us a place to live? An aunt from her mother's side is letting them stay in her rental house for free. Man of her dreams can go take a hike.  No, wait, don't have any way to get back home, so she loves him very much. And she really loves her mom.

I give her 6 months back up here: by then the aunt will be wanting some kind of rent money, she'll have tapped out all the other relatives and she'll want "a change of location, this place sucks."

She's in her 30s.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #1804 on: October 13, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
Had an email this morning from Mr. Steve Ballmer.  He likes me and wants to send me lots of Great British Pounds, because I use Microsoft a lot. I was almost drawn in and on the brink of sending my bank details off to the Bank of England, despite my non use of any Microsoft product.   However I did think it odd that the Bank of England has a yahoo address, but we all know abut the banking crisis.  No what made me suspect a scam was that Mr. Steve Ballmer cannot use comma's.  He should have used one in the phrase      "Great, British Pounds"

(I know should be Pounds Sterling but I am not Mr. Steve Ballmer

MissRose

« Reply #1805 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
Yesterday, I went to Mass and turned off the volume on my phone.  I was reading some prayers on an application in the pew before Mass, and I got a call with a 8 digital phone # then a voice mail after I rejected the call that said call this # then press #1 for the security department.  I did an erase of message then blocked the number.  I found out later on some facebook pages that many residents in my area were getting the call from a place claiming to be a certain bank and phishing for detail.   I don't even bank with the place anyways!

KarenK

« Reply #1806 on: October 14, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
Yesterday, I went to Mass and turned off the volume on my phone.  I was reading some prayers on an application in the pew before Mass, and I got a call with a 8 digital phone # then a voice mail after I rejected the call that said call this # then press #1 for the security department.  I did an erase of message then blocked the number.  I found out later on some facebook pages that many residents in my area were getting the call from a place claiming to be a certain bank and phishing for detail.   I don't even bank with the place anyways!

Yeah, that actually was my bank, but since I don't answer numbers I don't recognize, I never got a call. I did get an e-mail from the bank saying that this was going on and to not give out any information over the phone.

Just an aside, but I was wondering why you turned off the ringer to your phone when you went to Massachusetts. Then I read further.  ;D

MissRose

« Reply #1807 on: October 14, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »

Yeah, that actually was my bank, but since I don't answer numbers I don't recognize, I never got a call. I did get an e-mail from the bank saying that this was going on and to not give out any information over the phone.

Just an aside, but I was wondering why you turned off the ringer to your phone when you went to Massachusetts. Then I read further.  ;D

LOL that is okay.   I got a spam text with a weird phone # and email address recently, nope not replying to something I don't recognize or initiate.

I always make sure my ringer is on mute when going to a church building for any reason out of respect.

o_gal

« Reply #1808 on: October 15, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
Just got this one in my hotmail inbox - thought everyone would enjoy it. It's from "Tracey Waller (grizwaller96@aol.com)" who is obviously scraping someone's email address list. Since mine starts with s he/she is sending it to a bunch of other addresses beginning with s. Here is the entire text:

http://reelagroup.com/truthide.php Good actions ennoble us and we are the sons of our own deeds.Cervantes(C)

Great! I also know that knowledge embiggens even the smallest man, so now I think I'm set for life  :D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1809 on: October 15, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
I had a call from "Google" on my work phone yesterday. It was a recorded message.

StarFaerie

« Reply #1810 on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:47 PM »
Just got this one in my hotmail inbox - thought everyone would enjoy it. It's from "Tracey Waller (grizwaller96@aol.com)" who is obviously scraping someone's email address list. Since mine starts with s he/she is sending it to a bunch of other addresses beginning with s. Here is the entire text:

http://reelagroup.com/truthide.php Good actions ennoble us and we are the sons of our own deeds.Cervantes(C)

Great! I also know that knowledge embiggens even the smallest man, so now I think I'm set for life  :D

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1811 on: October 15, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
I had a call from "Google" on my work phone yesterday. It was a recorded message.

In their defense, this year when the Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel  Prize for Literature they notified the winner by phone.
It being the middle of the night in Canada, she did not answer her phone.

They left a message. ;D

However, this was definitely NOT a scam.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1812 on: October 15, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »

In their defense, this year when the Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel  Prize for Literature they notified the winner by phone.

They left a message. ;D

That's OK, Prof. Higgs found out he won for physics when someone congratulated him. Seems the Nobel committee had tried to call him, but had trouble reaching him, and he does not have a mobile phone.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1814 on: October 16, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »

They left a message. ;D

That's OK, Prof. Higgs found out he won for physics when someone congratulated him. Seems the Nobel committee had tried to call him, but had trouble reaching him, and he does not have a mobile phone.

I read that he deliberately left the area so people would leave him the heck alone