Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 654938 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1815 on: October 17, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »
Just got another lovely one - from a Facebook post. "It's my birthday in a month, and I have picked out a REALLY nice tattoo from {tattoo artist} and I'm giving you, my friends, the opportunity to buy it for me as my birthday gift! Paypal or cash, I don't mind either one!"

Really???

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1816 on: October 17, 2013, 01:23:16 PM »
I had a call from "Google" on my work phone yesterday. It was a recorded message.

In their defense, this year when the Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel  Prize for Literature they notified the winner by phone.
It being the middle of the night in Canada, she did not answer her phone.

They left a message. ;D

However, this was definitely NOT a scam.

That's OK, Prof. Higgs found out he won for physics when someone congratulated him. Seems the Nobel committee had tried to call him, but had trouble reaching him, and he does not have a mobile phone.

I read that he deliberately left the area so people would leave him the heck alone

That's got to be the worst part of winning the Nobel.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

dawbs

« Reply #1817 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
I had a call from "Google" on my work phone yesterday. It was a recorded message.

In their defense, this year when the Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel  Prize for Literature they notified the winner by phone.

They left a message. ;D

That's OK, Prof. Higgs found out he won for physics when someone congratulated him. Seems the Nobel committee had tried to call him, but had trouble reaching him, and he does not have a mobile phone.

I read that he deliberately left the area so people would leave him the heck alone

Richard Feynman talks about, in one of his books (I *think* it was _Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman_), how he panicked and basically blurted out about wanting to decline to a journalist...who very kindly explained ins and outs to him and didn't publish a peep of it.
Which, all told, was awfully nice :)

EMuir

« Reply #1818 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
In a grocery store parking lot the other day, a 6 foot tall guy rode up to my partner and me on a bicycle.  He was wearing decent clothing, jean jacket and jeans and T-shirt.  While still up on his bicycle, towering over us, he asked us for a few bucks so he could go buy a piece of pizza.

My first thought was "Why do you need money when you're an able-bodied man who can work?"  (Our area is booming right now and everywhere is looking for workers, including fast food/entry level jobs).  I just kept walking to the store and my partner went back into the car.

Afterward I felt angry because he was obviously large and intimidating and using that to try and get money out of a couple of women.  Also, on a bicycle, he could leave the area quickly before cops could arrive even if they were called. Sigh.

MrTango

« Reply #1819 on: October 17, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »

They left a message. ;D

I'm sure that's an experience shared by a lot of people who suddenly become famous/have a lot of attention directed at them (lottery winners, high-profile crime victims, former staffers of a Congressman-turned-southern-california-Mayor who ends up pleading guilty to criminal charges related to harassment.)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1820 on: October 17, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »

I'm sure that's an experience shared by a lot of people who suddenly become famous/have a lot of attention directed at them (lottery winners, high-profile crime victims, former staffers of a Congressman-turned-southern-california-Mayor who ends up pleading guilty to criminal charges related to harassment.)

*snicker*

MrTango

« Reply #1821 on: October 17, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »

*snicker*

Not that I've had more than 1 member of the news media contact me to try to get ahold of that former staffer.

PeterM

« Reply #1822 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »

David Letterman's Top Ten Disadvantages of Winning a Nobel Prize:

http://www.radford.edu/~ibarland/Public/OldHumor/nobel

My favorite:

2. Sarcasm of postal carrier when saying "Here's your
    copy of 'Big Jugs' magazine, Mr. Nobel Laureate."

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1823 on: October 17, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »

They left a message. ;D

Higgs deliberately went on holiday where he couldn't be reached by phone: I think he was concerned that either he would be awakened by a phone call about it, followed by requests for interviews, or that he'd get multiple calls asking him to comment if he didn't win, because of the number of articles in the weeks beforehand saying variations on "Higgs will win, of course, the question is whether he will have to share it, and with whom." (I suspect there are a lot of similar discussions among scientists each fall; this year the articles were also in places like the main BBC News website.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1824 on: October 18, 2013, 12:52:25 AM »
I know that they talked about how Malala Yousafzai was passed up for the Nobel Peace Prize, and that while it was too bad that she was passed up for it (seriously, I cannot *believe* some of the people who have won it in the past few years and yet she hasn't), it was probably good in some ways, because the notoriety would have caused problems for people who were her family's friends and associates back home.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1825 on: October 18, 2013, 02:30:56 AM »
I've heard that particular award can be as much a curse as a blessing.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Fi

« Reply #1826 on: October 18, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
They couldn't find Seamus Heaney when he won for literature. He and his wife were on a walking holiday in Greece and they only found out two days later when they landed back in Ireland to find a limo waiting at Dublin airport to take them off for celebratory drinks with the President.

Susiqzer

« Reply #1827 on: October 18, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
I've heard that particular award can be as much a curse as a blessing.

I've heard that at Harvard, it comes with a better parking spot. In Cambridge, that's worth years of toiling in the lab...  ;D

Iris

« Reply #1828 on: October 18, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
I know that they talked about how Malala Yousafzai was passed up for the Nobel Peace Prize, and that while it was too bad that she was passed up for it (seriously, I cannot *believe* some of the people who have won it in the past few years and yet she hasn't), it was probably good in some ways, because the notoriety would have caused problems for people who were her family's friends and associates back home.

Also, let's face it, the Peace Prize is the most subjective and political of all of them. Frankly I think they just pick a person/organisation that represents the cause that they want to give the Nobel Stamp Of Approval (TM) to for that year and go with that, rather than actual individual achievement like the other awards. They gave a Peace Prize to Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Leymah Gbowee and Tawakkol Karman "for their non-violent struggle for the safety of women and for women's rights to full participation in peace-building work" two years ago, so it's probably too soon to give another one for women's rights (according to CynicalIris).
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #1829 on: October 19, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »
This summer we had some random woman asking people in the grocery store parking lot for money because her children had no food.  Unfortunately, I was in a hurry that day or I would have either asked to take her in the store for food or aimed her to the local food bank. I think someone complained about her because she wasn't wandering around the lot after a couple of days.