Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 712472 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1875 on: October 23, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
Nope, but their new billing service makes it look like that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1876 on: October 23, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
The Microsoft hereby to announce to all the user email for the Inconvenient that occurred, to update his or her own email due to the refresh of the Microsoft internet infect that just happened to our internet saver services, you are advice to Clink this link and fill the information to update.

To update your mail now clink the link below for the update.

[Some link that takes you to a page wherein you can give them your email account name and password]

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

GregariousIntrovert

« Reply #1877 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
For the record, I got this idea from a bank, since I did not have a credit card at the time:  Open a 2nd checking account at your same bank(mine let me have it for free), one that only you access and that does *not* have a direct deposit to it.  Use this account for only online transactions.  So, when I pay bills online, I move money into that account for the bills, then pay the bills.  That's how the guy only got $50, and didn't wipe out my entire bank account, which would have been devastating. 

Thank you for this tip!! I forgot my bank gave me *another* free checking account when I refinanced my mortgage with them.  I just logged into paypal now and switched the accounts I had link.  You may have saved me a lot of trouble :)

Can someone tell me what the scam is with the copier/toner model number?  I'm curious!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1878 on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
For the record, I got this idea from a bank, since I did not have a credit card at the time:  Open a 2nd checking account at your same bank(mine let me have it for free), one that only you access and that does *not* have a direct deposit to it.  Use this account for only online transactions.  So, when I pay bills online, I move money into that account for the bills, then pay the bills.  That's how the guy only got $50, and didn't wipe out my entire bank account, which would have been devastating. 

Thank you for this tip!! I forgot my bank gave me *another* free checking account when I refinanced my mortgage with them.  I just logged into paypal now and switched the accounts I had link.  You may have saved me a lot of trouble :)

Can someone tell me what the scam is with the copier/toner model number?  I'm curious!

When you tell them what kind of copier you have, they send you a box of ink/toner.  Then a ridiculously overpriced invoice for it.  And they try to claim you ordered it, since of course they sent the right kind, so you must have.  Then they threaten to sue you if you don't pay or send back the toner.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1879 on: October 23, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »

Here you are

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/supplies.asp

andi

« Reply #1880 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
We do the double account too - hubby's check goes into a savings account with no debit access. Then I transfer bill money into the checking account after I figure the bills - with enough to pad for an "oops". 

Emmy

« Reply #1881 on: October 23, 2013, 10:39:19 PM »
DH is a collector of widgets.  My friend's now ex bf, Al, also liked these widgets.  DH had several of these widgets and agreed to sell one to Al for $25 over the phone.  The widget was worth $75, but Al was a friend and didn't have much money so DH cut him a break.  Al comes over to get the widget and said he only had $20.  DH said that was fine.  Al then asked if he could have the widget for free because his wallet was in the car and he didn't feel like getting it.  (The car was parked on the street outside our house, not a long walk at all).  DH said 'no money no widget'.  Al went to go get his wallet.  Both DH and I were a bit dumbfounded that Al thought he would get the widget for free, especially after DH cut him a really good deal on it.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1882 on: October 24, 2013, 03:56:13 AM »
I had to buy my first new tv in 10 years after my current one went all weird. Everyone went all blue, it was like watching "NCIS: Pandora".

I stopped off at a nearby store and found a tv I wanted. While I was buying it I decided to take the 5 year warranty as well. While I was filling out the paperwork, a different sales assistant (not the one I was working with) sidled up to me and said "Don't put your physical address on the paperwork. Else two days later you'll get broken into and your tv stolen" and then slid away again before the sales consultant I was working with came back with the paperwork.

When I filled in the warranty paperwork I put in my postal address. He several times insisted that he needed my physical address. I pointed out that the form clearly asked for the address on my tv licence, which was my postal address. He insisted it meant my physical address instead. I refused, he looked pissed, but I got my tv without giving up my address. Too bad, so sad Mr Slimey.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1883 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:56 AM »
The extended warranty is a scam in itself. What you get in the warranty you already get under consumer law.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1884 on: October 24, 2013, 04:20:12 AM »
The extended warranty is a scam in itself. What you get in the warranty you already get under consumer law.
I live in a 3rd world country. Our laws are probably not as stringent as yours.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

o_gal

« Reply #1885 on: October 24, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »
I had to buy my first new tv in 10 years after my current one went all weird. Everyone went all blue, it was like watching "NCIS: Pandora".

I stopped off at a nearby store and found a tv I wanted. While I was buying it I decided to take the 5 year warranty as well. While I was filling out the paperwork, a different sales assistant (not the one I was working with) sidled up to me and said "Don't put your physical address on the paperwork. Else two days later you'll get broken into and your tv stolen" and then slid away again before the sales consultant I was working with came back with the paperwork.

When I filled in the warranty paperwork I put in my postal address. He several times insisted that he needed my physical address. I pointed out that the form clearly asked for the address on my tv licence, which was my postal address. He insisted it meant my physical address instead. I refused, he looked pissed, but I got my tv without giving up my address. Too bad, so sad Mr Slimey.

This scam has been going on for years in our area, but it's with car stereos. If you got a new system installed in your car/truck/van, a couple of days later someone would break in and steal it. There were reports on the local news about the 2 shops that had the most "coincidental" occurrences, and warning people that they should just buy the system and have an independent mechanic install it.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1886 on: October 24, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »

This scam has been going on for years in our area, but it's with car stereos. If you got a new system installed in your car/truck/van, a couple of days later someone would break in and steal it. There were reports on the local news about the 2 shops that had the most "coincidental" occurrences, and warning people that they should just buy the system and have an independent mechanic install it.

!!! That's horrible !!!

I dont' know what I'd do without my local shop that installs my radios. 

MrTango

« Reply #1887 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

Sounds like a great opportunity for a police sting operation...Undercover cop goes to get a new stereo, theives try to break in to the garage. Instead of a car, they find a SWAT team armed to the teeth...oops.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1888 on: October 24, 2013, 11:35:25 AM »

I love this phrasing.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1889 on: October 24, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
Many years ago, before security cameras were common, someone broke into my employer's fenced and gated parking lot and stole all the vehicle batteries. They then waited about 2 weeks for all the batteries to be replaced, and broke in again to steal all the nice new ones.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data