News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 01:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2091788 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1890 on: October 24, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
Preferred Payment Method (ATM / Cashier Check)

Sure, sign me up! I'd love to see 8.5 million (USD) deposited in my credit union's ATM. Who knew they permitted that many digits in a deposit transaction? ::) More than the withdrawal number of digits, I presume.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1891 on: October 24, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
Monitory Crime Division?   ;D

ladymaureen

« Reply #1892 on: October 24, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Hey guys, if you live in the US, check your credit reports. Experian, one of the major credit bureaus, sold Social Security numbers to a Vietnamese ID theft ring.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cybertruth/2013/10/21/scammer-dupes-experian-into-selling-social-security-nos/3144069/

Tsaiko

« Reply #1893 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:20 AM »

I had to buy my first new tv in 10 years after my current one went all weird. Everyone went all blue, it was like watching "NCIS: Pandora".

I hit that line and cracked up laughing. I'm so glad it was early and no one else was in the office. I don't think I could explain.

Twik

« Reply #1894 on: October 25, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
Monitory Crime Division?   ;D

Someone once tried to steal a computer monitor from my office. These were the people we should have notified, I suppose.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rose red

« Reply #1895 on: October 25, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »
I keep getting calls from "Unknown Caller" and there's nobody on the other end of the line.  I don't understand what the scam(?) is.

eta: I stay on the line in case it's a computer that needs time to kick in.  I check my bill for suspicious charges.  Nothing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:42:44 PM by rose red »

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1896 on: October 25, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
I keep getting calls from "Unknown Caller" and there's nobody on the other end of the line.  I don't understand what the scam(?) is.

eta: I stay on the line in case it's a computer that needs time to kick in.  I check my bill for suspicious charges.  Nothing.

It's a telemarketing center, most likely.  It's time-consuming to have actual people dial all the phone numbers, so they have a computer do it.  Then once someone picks up, the call is transferred to a live person.  If nobody is home, the call center doesn't have to waste their employees' time on the call.  (No comment on wasting everyone else's time . . .)

Anyway, they use statistics to judge what % of computer-dialed calls will get answered by humans, so they always are dialing more phones than there are people to talk to customers.  Sometimes the algorithms end being wrong, and the computers get more people on the phone than there are employees to pick up the calls.  When that happens, the computer hangs up on you - hence the strange ghost calls.

blueyzca01

« Reply #1897 on: October 25, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
" Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for shipping."

You people are so cynical...he's given her a guarantee!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1898 on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »
" Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24hrs after you have made the payment for shipping."

;D

phred246

« Reply #1899 on: October 25, 2013, 11:50:40 PM »

Several years ago, I answered an ad that turned out to be for a call center. I was told that if I was hired, I would work 4 hours shifts, 6 days a week, and would be assigned a block of 400 phone numbers each shift. They expected 40 of those numbers to actually answer...and I had to get 2 sales appointments out of those 40! I did not bother to find out if they wanted to hire me.

So, 10% was their expectation of answered calls, and 0.5% would be willing to have a salesperson go to their house.
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

StarFaerie

« Reply #1900 on: October 26, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »
Hadn't heard of this scam before. A couple "won" an all expenses paid trip from Australia to Canada, complete with new luggage. When they got there, their new luggage was switched for luggage containing drugs which they then unwittingly brought back to Australia. Luckily they became suspicious about the bags and handed themselves in to Customs when they arrived back.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/elderly-perth-couple-used-as-7m-drug-mules/story-fnii5thm-1226746786878

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1901 on: October 26, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »
That is a scary one.

I'm just wondering how the switch was made?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Carotte

« Reply #1902 on: October 26, 2013, 02:08:10 PM »
That is a scary one.

Well, since the drug wasn't hidden in their 'old' lugage and they had 'won' a new set, the new set was probably waiting for them at their hotel from the start. They are probably the ones that transferred their own clothes/stuff to it.
Lugage can be surprisingly heavy empty, it must have had some hidden compartments. From the way it's told it seems like they had the drugs all trough their holiday week, I'd have thought that was a bit too risky...
I wonder what got them suspicious tho.

I had heard of this scam, but it was always with south american countries and mostly young people, and they were hidding the drug just before the 'winners' got on the plane back home (a cab was sent to pick them up and drive to the airport, nice man handling your lugage then slips the drug in it).

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1903 on: October 26, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »
That is a scary one.

Well, since the drug wasn't hidden in their 'old' lugage and they had 'won' a new set, the new set was probably waiting for them at their hotel from the start. They are probably the ones that transferred their own clothes/stuff to it.
Lugage can be surprisingly heavy empty, it must have had some hidden compartments. From the way it's told it seems like they had the drugs all trough their holiday week, I'd have thought that was a bit too risky...

I had heard of this scam, but it was always with south american countries and mostly young people, and they were hidding the drug just before the 'winners' got on the plane back home (a cab was sent to pick them up and drive to the airport, nice man handling your lugage then slips the drug in it).

Maybe, maybe not.

The smugglers could come in and switch it/load it towards the end of the week - after all, they know the exact brand of luggage, the itinerary, your personal info, and possibly have an extra key to the assigned hotel room. It isn't like someone stashing things in your bag at the airport. They have lots of opportunities to switch things around. :-\
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

otterwoman

« Reply #1904 on: October 26, 2013, 06:16:40 PM »
That is a scary one.

Maybe, maybe not.

The smugglers could come in and switch it/load it towards the end of the week - after all, they know the exact brand of luggage, the itinerary, your personal info, and possibly have an extra key to the assigned hotel room. It isn't like someone stashing things in your bag at the airport. They have lots of opportunities to switch things around. :-\

I'll give them this much credit, having an all-expense paid vacation is a lot better than the old way of smuggling; swallowing a few dozen condoms filled with drugs.