News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 06:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2142182 times)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1965 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:12 AM »
Just got one - the content is unremarkable, but the scammer is supposedly from Ireland. You'd think that an Irish person would have a better grasp of the English language.

My Dearest one

I am Mrs. Mary David, from Ireland married t o late Dr. Mark David, Who died on 15 April 2005. I write to relate to you of my intention to use my Fund (Seven million united state dollars) for charity work in your country.

Am not in good health but God is alive despite the fact that my doctor has confirmed that I may not survive the surgery operation that will be performed on me soon. I do not want the bank/corrupt government to have my money if I don't make succeed the operation; my health is in the hand of God.

If you can be faithfully help and use my fund to care for the poor and less privilege in your country,

I am waiting to read from you for more details on my intention to help the poor and the needy in your country.

Your sister in God,
Mrs. Mary David.

kategillian

« Reply #1966 on: November 01, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »
What makes me so mad, is the people that actually get taken in by these things. I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he was telling me about an opportunity he had heard about, something about selling knives door to door? At the beginning of the conversation, I almost said wow! Who falls for those scams! And then he said, don't you think that's a good idea? We never spoke about it again, but I pray he didn't actually send money to these people

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1967 on: November 01, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
Poor Ms. David, her husband was always late.  8)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #1968 on: November 01, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Just got one - the content is unremarkable, but the scammer is supposedly from Ireland. You'd think that an Irish person would have a better grasp of the English language.

My Dearest one

I am Mrs. Mary David, from Ireland married t o late Dr. Mark David, Who died on 15 April 2005. I write to relate to you of my intention to use my Fund (Seven million united state dollars) for charity work in your country.

Am not in good health but God is alive despite the fact that my doctor has confirmed that I may not survive the surgery operation that will be performed on me soon. I do not want the bank/corrupt government to have my money if I don't make succeed the operation; my health is in the hand of God.

If you can be faithfully help and use my fund to care for the poor and less privilege in your country,

I am waiting to read from you for more details on my intention to help the poor and the needy in your country.

Your sister in God,
Mrs. Mary David.

Well, it's nice to know that Nietzsche was wrong and God is alive.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Thipu1

« Reply #1969 on: November 01, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
What makes me so mad, is the people that actually get taken in by these things. I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he was telling me about an opportunity he had heard about, something about selling knives door to door? At the beginning of the conversation, I almost said wow! Who falls for those scams! And then he said, don't you think that's a good idea? We never spoke about it again, but I pray he didn't actually send money to these people

You'd be amazed at the otherwise intelligent people who do get sucked in on these things. 

When we first connected to the Internet in the library, I was a little more sophisticated than others, thanks to Mr. Thipu.  We received a classic, early Nigerian scam.  I printed it out and passed it around for a laugh.  The Uber-Boss seriously considered it. 

(Where is the batting-your-head-against-a-brick wall smiley when you need one?)

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1970 on: November 01, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »
Sorry, Thipu, I can't help with smileys. Too many scammer smiley sites!

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #1971 on: November 01, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
Sorry, Thipu, I can't help with smileys. Too many scammer smiley sites!
No brick wall, but I do have a desk.

Toner is my forum buddy.  No scams or malware there, dozens of smilies. http://www3.telus.net/smile/
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1972 on: November 06, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »
Got a PayPal phishing email today. It was something about updating security, but the email address and links in email were not PayPal related.

Where's the Quiet?

« Reply #1973 on: November 09, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
Got a couple good ones today:

Attention: My Dear,

I have registered your ATM CARD of $1.5USD one million five hundred thousand with UPS Courier Company with registration code of (XGT0283 ). please Contact with your delivery information such as, Your Name, Your Address and Your Telephone Number:

Contact Person: Dr.Nelson James
E-mail ( upscourierserviceu@yahoo.fr )

I have paid for the Insurance & Delivery fee.Note:that the only fee you will pay to them is $75 for their stamp duty fee as i have taken care of the delivery charge.Please indicate the registration Number and ask Him to give you information on were to send this required $75.

Best Regards,
MR FRANK WILLIAMS

The second one was very nice to look at as it had several colorful graphics. The graphics said:

Rel@tionship Rewind
YOU MESSED UP YOUR LAST REL@TIONSHIP
FOLLOW THESE EASY STEPS TO GET YOUR EX BACK!
REWIND YOUR REL@TIONSHIP TODAY
Get your ex to immediately miss you and make it 100% his idea to get back together again.
>>WOMEN CLICK HERE
Find out how to win back any woman's love. Learn how to captivate her once again.
MEN CLICK HERE<<

It was actually kind of nice to see pretty spam for once instead of the usual difficult to read ones.

Thipu1

« Reply #1974 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
I many have posted this a hundred or more pages back but the story about the waitress who got a dollar tip from the football team brought it to mind.

Some years ago we had a Professor visit the library with students from his University seminar.  They were all cheerful, intelligent and polite people.  We even used one of their cameras to take photos of the smiling group. 

They had a great deal of photocopying to be done. The bill came to about 150 USD.  One 'gentleman' in the class generously offered to write a check for the full amount.  The red flags should have gone up at that point but they didn't. 

Of course, the check bounced.  We sent it back to him at the address on the check.

Surprise, surprise!  He didn't live at that address and hadn't for several years. The envelope was returned to us.

We then sent the check to the Professor and expressed our disappointment.  We were sure that he
would not like his name associated with this sort of behavior.  We never heard a word. 

The Professor and the scammer were henceforth banned from the library.       

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1975 on: November 11, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »

You'd be amazed at the otherwise intelligent people who do get sucked in on these things. 

When we first connected to the Internet in the library, I was a little more sophisticated than others, thanks to Mr. Thipu.  We received a classic, early Nigerian scam.  I printed it out and passed it around for a laugh.  The Uber-Boss seriously considered it. 

Thipu, you and I work together, don't we?  Because, hand on my heart, I swear Stonecold would go for this in two minutes.  Given all the cash she's spent on scammy stuff in the past, I have no doubt this would be right up her alley.

Catananche

« Reply #1976 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »

Thipu, you and I work together, don't we?  Because, hand on my heart, I swear Stonecold would go for this in two minutes.  Given all the cash she's spent on scammy stuff in the past, I have no doubt this would be right up her alley.

The company I worked for received it by fax. In 1986. And my boss was also seriously considering it. I only showed the fax to him because I thought it was hilarious and insane that anyone would fall for it. Yeah, all my boss saw were those millions coming his (or our departments) way. It took 4 secretaries and two of his patent attorneys to explain to him that it was a scam. To this day I don't think he believed us.
While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, thousands of pixels were inconvenienced

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1977 on: November 11, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
Often the first new employee conversation had at any company I ever worked for was "Do not give any caller our printer's model number".
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Reader

« Reply #1978 on: November 12, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
Often the first new employee conversation had at any company I ever worked for was "Do not give any caller our printer's model number".

Thanks to a poster on here, the model number I give out is NCC -1701-D  ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1979 on: November 12, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »

Thanks to a poster on here, the model number I give out is NCC -1701-D  ;D

Having recently watched Alien Ressurection, I'd be inclined to give the non-eHell-approved E-A T-M E
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture