Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 459072 times)

Where's the Quiet?

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1980 on: November 09, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
Got a couple good ones today:

Attention: My Dear,

I have registered your ATM CARD of $1.5USD one million five hundred thousand with UPS Courier Company with registration code of (XGT0283 ). please Contact with your delivery information such as, Your Name, Your Address and Your Telephone Number:

Contact Person: Dr.Nelson James
E-mail ( upscourierserviceu@yahoo.fr )

I have paid for the Insurance & Delivery fee.Note:that the only fee you will pay to them is $75 for their stamp duty fee as i have taken care of the delivery charge.Please indicate the registration Number and ask Him to give you information on were to send this required $75.

Best Regards,
MR FRANK WILLIAMS

The second one was very nice to look at as it had several colorful graphics. The graphics said:

Rel@tionship Rewind
YOU MESSED UP YOUR LAST REL@TIONSHIP
FOLLOW THESE EASY STEPS TO GET YOUR EX BACK!
REWIND YOUR REL@TIONSHIP TODAY
Get your ex to immediately miss you and make it 100% his idea to get back together again.
>>WOMEN CLICK HERE
Find out how to win back any woman's love. Learn how to captivate her once again.
MEN CLICK HERE<<

It was actually kind of nice to see pretty spam for once instead of the usual difficult to read ones.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1981 on: November 11, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »
I many have posted this a hundred or more pages back but the story about the waitress who got a dollar tip from the football team brought it to mind.

Some years ago we had a Professor visit the library with students from his University seminar.  They were all cheerful, intelligent and polite people.  We even used one of their cameras to take photos of the smiling group. 

They had a great deal of photocopying to be done. The bill came to about 150 USD.  One 'gentleman' in the class generously offered to write a check for the full amount.  The red flags should have gone up at that point but they didn't. 

Of course, the check bounced.  We sent it back to him at the address on the check.

Surprise, surprise!  He didn't live at that address and hadn't for several years. The envelope was returned to us.

We then sent the check to the Professor and expressed our disappointment.  We were sure that he
would not like his name associated with this sort of behavior.  We never heard a word. 

The Professor and the scammer were henceforth banned from the library.       

Yarnspinner

« Reply #1982 on: November 11, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
What makes me so mad, is the people that actually get taken in by these things. I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he was telling me about an opportunity he had heard about, something about selling knives door to door? At the beginning of the conversation, I almost said wow! Who falls for those scams! And then he said, don't you think that's a good idea? We never spoke about it again, but I pray he didn't actually send money to these people

You'd be amazed at the otherwise intelligent people who do get sucked in on these things. 

When we first connected to the Internet in the library, I was a little more sophisticated than others, thanks to Mr. Thipu.  We received a classic, early Nigerian scam.  I printed it out and passed it around for a laugh.  The Uber-Boss seriously considered it. 

(Where is the batting-your-head-against-a-brick wall smiley when you need one?)

Thipu, you and I work together, don't we?  Because, hand on my heart, I swear Stonecold would go for this in two minutes.  Given all the cash she's spent on scammy stuff in the past, I have no doubt this would be right up her alley.

Catananche

« Reply #1983 on: November 11, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
What makes me so mad, is the people that actually get taken in by these things. I was speaking to a friend of mine, and he was telling me about an opportunity he had heard about, something about selling knives door to door? At the beginning of the conversation, I almost said wow! Who falls for those scams! And then he said, don't you think that's a good idea? We never spoke about it again, but I pray he didn't actually send money to these people

You'd be amazed at the otherwise intelligent people who do get sucked in on these things. 

When we first connected to the Internet in the library, I was a little more sophisticated than others, thanks to Mr. Thipu.  We received a classic, early Nigerian scam.  I printed it out and passed it around for a laugh.  The Uber-Boss seriously considered it. 

(Where is the batting-your-head-against-a-brick wall smiley when you need one?)

Thipu, you and I work together, don't we?  Because, hand on my heart, I swear Stonecold would go for this in two minutes.  Given all the cash she's spent on scammy stuff in the past, I have no doubt this would be right up her alley.

The company I worked for received it by fax. In 1986. And my boss was also seriously considering it. I only showed the fax to him because I thought it was hilarious and insane that anyone would fall for it. Yeah, all my boss saw were those millions coming his (or our departments) way. It took 4 secretaries and two of his patent attorneys to explain to him that it was a scam. To this day I don't think he believed us.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1984 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
Often the first new employee conversation had at any company I ever worked for was "Do not give any caller our printer's model number".
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Reader

« Reply #1985 on: November 12, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »
Often the first new employee conversation had at any company I ever worked for was "Do not give any caller our printer's model number".

Thanks to a poster on here, the model number I give out is NCC -1701-D  ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1986 on: November 12, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »

Having recently watched Alien Ressurection, I'd be inclined to give the non-eHell-approved E-A T-M E
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sedorna

« Reply #1987 on: November 12, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »

I think that T4RD1S-40 would also be an excellent model number to give out.

cwm

« Reply #1988 on: November 12, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »

I think that T4RD1S-40 would also be an excellent model number to give out.

R-2 3-P-0 is also a fun one.

z_squared82

« Reply #1989 on: November 13, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
None I can recall yet. Posting for updates.

magicdomino

« Reply #1990 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Looks like I got scammed, but I got to give the lady credit for her acting skills. 

On my way to the parking garage this evening, a tearful woman stopped me with a tale about how she had been in an accident.  Jessica was all right, but her car had to be towed, leaving her with no way to get home.  The commuter buses and trains were long gone. She didn't have enough money for cab fare home, because she just moved here from Atlanta and hadn't received her ATM card yet.   (I forgot to ask about credit cards, but undoubtedly there would have been an embarrassed admission about bad credit.)  She first asked if I could give her a ride, but she lives way out in Maryland.  Jessica worried about her little 3 year old daughter at day care, she's a good Christian woman, she just moved here and doesn't know anyone.  Of course she would pay me back, with extra even, she works right here in Crystal City for the Dept of Commerce, she'd be so grateful.  Much touching on the shoulder with suppressed sobs.  Even a brief mention of a possible mutual co-worker, and repeated mention of Officer Tate, the police officer at the accident scene.

I asked what the cab fare was.  $149.  Sorry, I don't have that much money.  Jessica pointed out that there is an ATM nearby.  No, sorry, I paid bills this week.  "Can you at least give me $80, I'll pay you back tomorrow as soon as I get a money order from the credit union.  I have $4,300 in my account."  Finally,  I gave her $20 for the subway, which would at least get her to Maryland, despite a final plea for $40.  She wrote her name, address, and phone number.

I Googled the information as soon as I got home.  Is anyone surprised that Lane Drive is in Virginia, not Maryland, and the phone number is a mobile, also in Virginia but based over a hundred miles away? (Remember, Jessica said she was from Georgia.)  I gave her my first name and office number.  I do not expect a call, although if she does, she may be surprised to find out it is a law enforcement agency.   >:D 

You know, the sad thing is that scammers mess it up for people who have legitimate problems.  That's basically why I gave her the $20 despite my suspicions.  I can afford to lose that if it was a scam, and who knows, she might have been in real trouble.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1991 on: November 14, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
If she can't get any money out, what you can do is take her to a branch if her bank and they will give her money over the counter if she provides photo ID and her signature.

Oh wait, I just saw that it was late so the banks are probably not open.

You're right that the bad ones ruin it for the others genuinely in need.

z_squared82

« Reply #1992 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »
Oh, remembered one.

Back when I work at a fragrance counter, we stacked our gift sets on the counters, with one opened and shrink wrapped to show the contents. I was helping two woman, a mother and daughter, I think. The mother was older, in a wheel chair. She decided on something she wanted to buy, so I was processing that transaction, helping the woman sign the credit card pad, which was not easy with her being in that wheelchair. The daughter walked around the side of the counter where I couldnít really see her, but I figured she was just looking at something while her mom was paying. We finished up, and they went on their merry way.

An hour or so later, Iím walking around the bays picking up stray spray strips, and I see that two Armani gifts sets have had the shrink wrap ripped and the full-size bottles of fragrance taken. I knew immediately who it was, although that mother/daughter pair were long gone. I felt really bad (even though my manager said I had done nothing wrong) and was more vigilant from then on. We actually moved the gift sets out of reach for a while, then corporate said we had to go back to putting them on the counter so it would look right.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1993 on: November 15, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
^^^  It's too bad your store didn't catch that on camera.  I'd have gone after them.  After all, you had their credit card information. 

So sad to see a Loving Daughter/Wheelchairbound Mother theft combo.   :(

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1994 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
^^^  It's too bad your store didn't catch that on camera.  I'd have gone after them.  After all, you had their credit card information. 

So sad to see a Loving Daughter/Wheelchairbound Mother theft combo.   :(

Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed.