Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 461908 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1995 on: November 15, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »
^^^  It's too bad your store didn't catch that on camera.  I'd have gone after them.  After all, you had their credit card information. 

So sad to see a Loving Daughter/Wheelchairbound Mother theft combo.   :(

Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed.

Actually, that was also the point I was trying to imply without coming right out and calling it a scam.  I totally agree with you.

z_squared82

« Reply #1996 on: November 15, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
^^^  It's too bad your store didn't catch that on camera.  I'd have gone after them.  After all, you had their credit card information. 

So sad to see a Loving Daughter/Wheelchairbound Mother theft combo.   :(

Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed.

Actually, that was also the point I was trying to imply without coming right out and calling it a scam.  I totally agree with you.

Yeah, we (the cosmetics dept. employees) speculated that the wheelchair might have been a scam, too. But no proof. And I think they did check the cameras, but it was pointed in a different direction, or something. It's not like security would have kept me in the loop anyway, no matter how much they may have liked me.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1997 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »
Thipu1 wrote:

"Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed."

I agree that it was a possibility but it's also possible that opportunistic daughter just noted that you were busy helping handicapped mom and took advantage.  It would be very odd to try to work a scam like that and then hand over a credit card that leaves a paper trail, although I've seen criminals do dumber things.

Virg

violetminnow

« Reply #1998 on: November 15, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
Thipu1 wrote:

"Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed."

I agree that it was a possibility but it's also possible that opportunistic daughter just noted that you were busy helping handicapped mom and took advantage.  It would be very odd to try to work a scam like that and then hand over a credit card that leaves a paper trail, although I've seen criminals do dumber things.

Virg

I think both of these speculations are unwise. People with disabilities are just people too. Some are good and moral and some are not.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1999 on: November 15, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
That is true but speculation is not accusation. 

There are certain things in the story that set off red lights in my mind. 

Incapacitated Mom in the chair needs help with the card.  This diverts attention from Daughter.  Also, is it clear that the card used was not a stolen one?

People of good will almost automatically assume that someone in a chair is trustworthy and in need of any available help.  That is not always the case. 

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #2000 on: November 16, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
I admin a Facebook sale/trade site; the spammers got so bad that I had to implement a rule where new members would have to be friends with people who were already members. It's kept the shoe/purse/scrabble ads down, but that hasn't stopped the spammers. They're still creating fake profiles and mirroring real profiles, but they must be getting lazy. Today I rejected "Algernon Pang," a blonde white girl (with a completely different, dark-haired white girl in the cover photo.) Of course, she joined Facebook in October 2013 and only had the two photos, and no friends also. :P The names are getting silly, too...they all read like names they think white people might have (kind of like another poster pointed out earlier, like first and last names that are both first names) or they try to use the same mirrored profile multiple times. The same girl's name (I can't remember the name now but I remember it each time I see it) tries to join every few days. Different pic every time too.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #2001 on: November 16, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
I just got one from "Delta Air Line" with the title "SkyMiles Profile Verification"

Dear Valued Customer,

To complete the verification process, please click the log in button bellow:

Funny, that button didn't make a sound!  ;D

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2002 on: November 16, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
I just got one from "Delta Air Line" with the title "SkyMiles Profile Verification"

Dear Valued Customer,

Maybe after pushing the button, YOU'RE supposed to provide the sound effects!  Come on now, we know you can do it.  Bellow!  Bellow louder!!   ;D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #2003 on: November 16, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »

Dear Valued Customer,

Maybe after pushing the button, YOU'RE supposed to provide the sound effects!  Come on now, we know you can do it.  Bellow!  Bellow louder!!   ;D
Nope. Not gonna do it and make poor DH think I've REALLY gone 'round the bend.  :P

In that same batch of spam, there was also this one:
All watches are packed in plain boxes and shipped discretely. They are delivered fast and in excellent condition. In case of some damage, we will reship your order.
I guess I'll have to give them a pass, because even native-English-speakers often don't know the difference between discrete (consisting of distinct or unconnected elements) and discreet (not likely to be seen or noticed by many people.) But if they DO ship discretely, doesn't that mean that they arrive in pieces?  And will have to be sent back, again and again and again?   
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2004 on: November 16, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »

All watches are packed in plain boxes and shipped discretely. They are delivered fast and in excellent condition. In case of some damage, we will reship your order.
I guess I'll have to give them a pass, because even native-English-speakers often don't know the difference between discrete (consisting of distinct or unconnected elements) and discreet (not likely to be seen or noticed by many people.) But if they DO ship discretely, doesn't that mean that they arrive in pieces?  And will have to be sent back, again and again and again?

But if they did mean discreetly, why would it be necessary to ship them in brown paper wrappers?  Are the watches "naughty" watches with pictures of naked men and women on them or something?

jmarvellous

« Reply #2005 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »

But if they did mean discreetly, why would it be necessary to ship them in brown paper wrappers?  Are the watches "naughty" watches with pictures of naked men and women on them or something?

The answer here is that you don't want a box with, for example, "Rolex" or "FRAGILE: CONTAINS WATCH" sitting on your doorstep.

(Says the woman whose apartment building currently has two very unhappy tenants' notes on the front door urging whoever stole their packages to return them ASAP and reminding them that mail tampering is a felony offense. There've been boxes in our shabby entryway with very high-end luxury brand name packaging that have made me stop and stare!)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #2006 on: November 18, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
Anyone else getting flooded with: Medical Billing and Coding Training! Become a Nursing Assistant!
Go to Film School! e-mails?

I recently got one from the Australian Taxation Office. Too bad I'm not Australian.  :P

mumma to KMC

« Reply #2007 on: November 18, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Pretty sure my dh and I dodged a family of scammers this weekend.

A few weeks ago there was an ad in the sales paper that comes out every Thursday here. I normally flip though to see what there is and to have a good laugh at what some people are "selling". One ad jumped out at me. An out of work painter who needed a job, would do anything. Well, great, we had some things around the house that needed work, but don't have the time right now to get it all done. So after a few weeks, we decided to give a call and the guy came out to assess the big project.

Dh gives him the run down, says what the game plan is, and the guy says he could do it. Explains he's been out of work for a while and could we give him anything to do until the Big Project commences. Dh tells him to come back the next day to do some yard clean up. Guy says sure and shows up the next day and does a sort of okay job.

Calls on Saturday asking if we have anymore work to do, as he needs gas money for an appointment on Monday. Dh explains that we don't have any work right now, but we'd front him the money for gas. I met him in town and put in some gas. First he asks for just a gallon and cash for the rest. Nope, sorry, no can do. Then his wife/girlfriend asks me for money to send flower to a family member who died. Uh, I don't have any cash on me. Could I write her a check? Uh, no, only my cc on me, sorry.

The finally give up and drive away (after I put in a few gallons of gas per our agreement) and I called my dh. We aren't dumb and decide to cancel the whole deal, because even if they aren't scammers, they are certainly moochers and I don't want to deal with that.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2008 on: November 19, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
Mumma to KMC, it sounds like you've become acquainted with the 'Hendersons'. 

This was a group of moochers and scammers  that would visit northern NJ and southern NY in the spring.  They were probably not all of one family but they engaged in just the sort of behavior you described.  Long-term residents were wise to them but the area was experiencing an influx of new home-owners.  These good folks were like sheep ready for shearing.

Eventually, the local radio station started issuing warnings about this bunch of grifters and the way they operated.  To my knowledge, they never actually broke the law so the police couldn't do very much.

Otterpop

« Reply #2009 on: November 19, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
DH has a bio sister (he's adopted) who started coming around after he grew up and became "rich" (meaning, we have jobs).  She started asking for money to pay a telephone bill that was late, gas money to take her son to school, rent for the month, etc.  We didn't know her at all, so didn't give any money, just offered to help her with rides here and there and the use of our phone.

The demands became more frequent so I told her we didn't have money to support her household as well as ours, and we didn't think contact should be continued.  Her almost grown son berated us for being so stingy.  That was the last call from her we ever answered, two years ago.  She still calls every few months but I let it go to the answering machine.  I'm wondering when it will end...