News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 02:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2146053 times)

Sedorna

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1980 on: November 12, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
Often the first new employee conversation had at any company I ever worked for was "Do not give any caller our printer's model number".

Thanks to a poster on here, the model number I give out is NCC -1701-D  ;D

I think that T4RD1S-40 would also be an excellent model number to give out.

cwm

« Reply #1981 on: November 12, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
Often the first new employee conversation had at any company I ever worked for was "Do not give any caller our printer's model number".

Thanks to a poster on here, the model number I give out is NCC -1701-D  ;D

I think that T4RD1S-40 would also be an excellent model number to give out.

R-2 3-P-0 is also a fun one.

z_squared82

« Reply #1982 on: November 13, 2013, 03:25:44 PM »
None I can recall yet. Posting for updates.

magicdomino

« Reply #1983 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
Looks like I got scammed, but I got to give the lady credit for her acting skills. 

On my way to the parking garage this evening, a tearful woman stopped me with a tale about how she had been in an accident.  Jessica was all right, but her car had to be towed, leaving her with no way to get home.  The commuter buses and trains were long gone. She didn't have enough money for cab fare home, because she just moved here from Atlanta and hadn't received her ATM card yet.   (I forgot to ask about credit cards, but undoubtedly there would have been an embarrassed admission about bad credit.)  She first asked if I could give her a ride, but she lives way out in Maryland.  Jessica worried about her little 3 year old daughter at day care, she's a good Christian woman, she just moved here and doesn't know anyone.  Of course she would pay me back, with extra even, she works right here in Crystal City for the Dept of Commerce, she'd be so grateful.  Much touching on the shoulder with suppressed sobs.  Even a brief mention of a possible mutual co-worker, and repeated mention of Officer Tate, the police officer at the accident scene.

I asked what the cab fare was.  $149.  Sorry, I don't have that much money.  Jessica pointed out that there is an ATM nearby.  No, sorry, I paid bills this week.  "Can you at least give me $80, I'll pay you back tomorrow as soon as I get a money order from the credit union.  I have $4,300 in my account."  Finally,  I gave her $20 for the subway, which would at least get her to Maryland, despite a final plea for $40.  She wrote her name, address, and phone number.

I Googled the information as soon as I got home.  Is anyone surprised that Lane Drive is in Virginia, not Maryland, and the phone number is a mobile, also in Virginia but based over a hundred miles away? (Remember, Jessica said she was from Georgia.)  I gave her my first name and office number.  I do not expect a call, although if she does, she may be surprised to find out it is a law enforcement agency.   >:D 

You know, the sad thing is that scammers mess it up for people who have legitimate problems.  That's basically why I gave her the $20 despite my suspicions.  I can afford to lose that if it was a scam, and who knows, she might have been in real trouble.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1984 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
If she can't get any money out, what you can do is take her to a branch if her bank and they will give her money over the counter if she provides photo ID and her signature.

Oh wait, I just saw that it was late so the banks are probably not open.

You're right that the bad ones ruin it for the others genuinely in need.

z_squared82

« Reply #1985 on: November 15, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
Oh, remembered one.

Back when I work at a fragrance counter, we stacked our gift sets on the counters, with one opened and shrink wrapped to show the contents. I was helping two woman, a mother and daughter, I think. The mother was older, in a wheel chair. She decided on something she wanted to buy, so I was processing that transaction, helping the woman sign the credit card pad, which was not easy with her being in that wheelchair. The daughter walked around the side of the counter where I couldnít really see her, but I figured she was just looking at something while her mom was paying. We finished up, and they went on their merry way.

An hour or so later, Iím walking around the bays picking up stray spray strips, and I see that two Armani gifts sets have had the shrink wrap ripped and the full-size bottles of fragrance taken. I knew immediately who it was, although that mother/daughter pair were long gone. I felt really bad (even though my manager said I had done nothing wrong) and was more vigilant from then on. We actually moved the gift sets out of reach for a while, then corporate said we had to go back to putting them on the counter so it would look right.

gramma dishes

« Reply #1986 on: November 15, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
^^^  It's too bad your store didn't catch that on camera.  I'd have gone after them.  After all, you had their credit card information. 

So sad to see a Loving Daughter/Wheelchairbound Mother theft combo.   :(

Thipu1

« Reply #1987 on: November 15, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
^^^  It's too bad your store didn't catch that on camera.  I'd have gone after them.  After all, you had their credit card information. 

Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed. 

gramma dishes

« Reply #1988 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »

Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed.

Actually, that was also the point I was trying to imply without coming right out and calling it a scam.  I totally agree with you.

z_squared82

« Reply #1989 on: November 15, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »

Actually, that was also the point I was trying to imply without coming right out and calling it a scam.  I totally agree with you.

Yeah, we (the cosmetics dept. employees) speculated that the wheelchair might have been a scam, too. But no proof. And I think they did check the cameras, but it was pointed in a different direction, or something. It's not like security would have kept me in the loop anyway, no matter how much they may have liked me.

Virg

« Reply #1990 on: November 15, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »
Thipu1 wrote:

"Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed."

I agree that it was a possibility but it's also possible that opportunistic daughter just noted that you were busy helping handicapped mom and took advantage.  It would be very odd to try to work a scam like that and then hand over a credit card that leaves a paper trail, although I've seen criminals do dumber things.

Virg

violetminnow

« Reply #1991 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »
Thipu1 wrote:

"Sorry to be cynical but I'd be willing to bet the the Mother wasn't quite as incapacitated as she seemed."

I agree that it was a possibility but it's also possible that opportunistic daughter just noted that you were busy helping handicapped mom and took advantage.  It would be very odd to try to work a scam like that and then hand over a credit card that leaves a paper trail, although I've seen criminals do dumber things.

Virg

I think both of these speculations are unwise. People with disabilities are just people too. Some are good and moral and some are not.

Thipu1

« Reply #1992 on: November 15, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
That is true but speculation is not accusation. 

There are certain things in the story that set off red lights in my mind. 

Incapacitated Mom in the chair needs help with the card.  This diverts attention from Daughter.  Also, is it clear that the card used was not a stolen one?

People of good will almost automatically assume that someone in a chair is trustworthy and in need of any available help.  That is not always the case. 

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #1993 on: November 16, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
I admin a Facebook sale/trade site; the spammers got so bad that I had to implement a rule where new members would have to be friends with people who were already members. It's kept the shoe/purse/scrabble ads down, but that hasn't stopped the spammers. They're still creating fake profiles and mirroring real profiles, but they must be getting lazy. Today I rejected "Algernon Pang," a blonde white girl (with a completely different, dark-haired white girl in the cover photo.) Of course, she joined Facebook in October 2013 and only had the two photos, and no friends also. :P The names are getting silly, too...they all read like names they think white people might have (kind of like another poster pointed out earlier, like first and last names that are both first names) or they try to use the same mirrored profile multiple times. The same girl's name (I can't remember the name now but I remember it each time I see it) tries to join every few days. Different pic every time too.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #1994 on: November 16, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
I just got one from "Delta Air Line" with the title "SkyMiles Profile Verification"

Dear Valued Customer,

To complete the verification process, please click the log in button bellow:

Funny, that button didn't make a sound!  ;D

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~