News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 10:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2258249 times)

gramma dishes

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #1995 on: November 16, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »
I just got one from "Delta Air Line" with the title "SkyMiles Profile Verification"

Dear Valued Customer,

To complete the verification process, please click the log in button bellow:

Funny, that button didn't make a sound!  ;D

Maybe after pushing the button, YOU'RE supposed to provide the sound effects!  Come on now, we know you can do it.  Bellow!  Bellow louder!!   ;D

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #1996 on: November 16, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I just got one from "Delta Air Line" with the title "SkyMiles Profile Verification"

Dear Valued Customer,

To complete the verification process, please click the log in button bellow:

Funny, that button didn't make a sound!  ;D

Maybe after pushing the button, YOU'RE supposed to provide the sound effects!  Come on now, we know you can do it.  Bellow!  Bellow louder!!   ;D
Nope. Not gonna do it and make poor DH think I've REALLY gone 'round the bend.  :P

In that same batch of spam, there was also this one:
All watches are packed in plain boxes and shipped discretely. They are delivered fast and in excellent condition. In case of some damage, we will reship your order.
I guess I'll have to give them a pass, because even native-English-speakers often don't know the difference between discrete (consisting of distinct or unconnected elements) and discreet (not likely to be seen or noticed by many people.) But if they DO ship discretely, doesn't that mean that they arrive in pieces?  And will have to be sent back, again and again and again?   
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

« Reply #1997 on: November 16, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

All watches are packed in plain boxes and shipped discretely. They are delivered fast and in excellent condition. In case of some damage, we will reship your order.
I guess I'll have to give them a pass, because even native-English-speakers often don't know the difference between discrete (consisting of distinct or unconnected elements) and discreet (not likely to be seen or noticed by many people.) But if they DO ship discretely, doesn't that mean that they arrive in pieces?  And will have to be sent back, again and again and again?

But if they did mean discreetly, why would it be necessary to ship them in brown paper wrappers?  Are the watches "naughty" watches with pictures of naked men and women on them or something?

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #1998 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »

But if they did mean discreetly, why would it be necessary to ship them in brown paper wrappers?  Are the watches "naughty" watches with pictures of naked men and women on them or something?

The answer here is that you don't want a box with, for example, "Rolex" or "FRAGILE: CONTAINS WATCH" sitting on your doorstep.

(Says the woman whose apartment building currently has two very unhappy tenants' notes on the front door urging whoever stole their packages to return them ASAP and reminding them that mail tampering is a felony offense. There've been boxes in our shabby entryway with very high-end luxury brand name packaging that have made me stop and stare!)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #1999 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:21 PM »
Anyone else getting flooded with: Medical Billing and Coding Training! Become a Nursing Assistant!
Go to Film School! e-mails?

I recently got one from the Australian Taxation Office. Too bad I'm not Australian.  :P

mumma to KMC

« Reply #2000 on: November 18, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
Pretty sure my dh and I dodged a family of scammers this weekend.

A few weeks ago there was an ad in the sales paper that comes out every Thursday here. I normally flip though to see what there is and to have a good laugh at what some people are "selling". One ad jumped out at me. An out of work painter who needed a job, would do anything. Well, great, we had some things around the house that needed work, but don't have the time right now to get it all done. So after a few weeks, we decided to give a call and the guy came out to assess the big project.

Dh gives him the run down, says what the game plan is, and the guy says he could do it. Explains he's been out of work for a while and could we give him anything to do until the Big Project commences. Dh tells him to come back the next day to do some yard clean up. Guy says sure and shows up the next day and does a sort of okay job.

Calls on Saturday asking if we have anymore work to do, as he needs gas money for an appointment on Monday. Dh explains that we don't have any work right now, but we'd front him the money for gas. I met him in town and put in some gas. First he asks for just a gallon and cash for the rest. Nope, sorry, no can do. Then his wife/girlfriend asks me for money to send flower to a family member who died. Uh, I don't have any cash on me. Could I write her a check? Uh, no, only my cc on me, sorry.

The finally give up and drive away (after I put in a few gallons of gas per our agreement) and I called my dh. We aren't dumb and decide to cancel the whole deal, because even if they aren't scammers, they are certainly moochers and I don't want to deal with that.

Thipu1

« Reply #2001 on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »
Mumma to KMC, it sounds like you've become acquainted with the 'Hendersons'. 

This was a group of moochers and scammers  that would visit northern NJ and southern NY in the spring.  They were probably not all of one family but they engaged in just the sort of behavior you described.  Long-term residents were wise to them but the area was experiencing an influx of new home-owners.  These good folks were like sheep ready for shearing.

Eventually, the local radio station started issuing warnings about this bunch of grifters and the way they operated.  To my knowledge, they never actually broke the law so the police couldn't do very much.

Otterpop

« Reply #2002 on: November 19, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
DH has a bio sister (he's adopted) who started coming around after he grew up and became "rich" (meaning, we have jobs).  She started asking for money to pay a telephone bill that was late, gas money to take her son to school, rent for the month, etc.  We didn't know her at all, so didn't give any money, just offered to help her with rides here and there and the use of our phone.

The demands became more frequent so I told her we didn't have money to support her household as well as ours, and we didn't think contact should be continued.  Her almost grown son berated us for being so stingy.  That was the last call from her we ever answered, two years ago.  She still calls every few months but I let it go to the answering machine.  I'm wondering when it will end...

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2003 on: November 19, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
The local homeless population near my work is now panhandling with their pet dogs with them. The dogs look to be healthy, but I worry about them.    :(
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2004 on: November 19, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
The local homeless population near my work is now panhandling with their pet dogs with them. The dogs look to be healthy, but I worry about them.    :(

Without getting into a lot of politics: I read a book years ago by a man who had been homeless for a while, about those years of his life. He had a dog with him, and said that he and the dog took care of each other: a man sleeping on a park bench with a dog is safer than a man asleep by himself. At one point he was offered a one-month bed in a shelter, but would have had to give up the dog, with no guarantees for her safety, and a month later would have been back on the street alone. If I recall correctly, his would-be benefactor was surprised that he felt that protective toward his dog.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Miss March

« Reply #2005 on: November 19, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
Sadly, my local Craigslist has had a rash of people posting pleas for money for emergency medical care that their pets supposedly need. At least 2 such postings have since been exposed as scams, with people finding that the pictures of the 'ill pet' are actually stolen from veterinary websites, and today someone posted that they offered money for a cat's surgery if they could donate straight to the animal hospital and the poster more or less gave them every excuse in the world for why they could only accept cash. It's sad that people would use our concern for animals to try and scam money.
I assume you heard the way she spoke to me at dinner.
Of course, but how does it help to answer rudeness with rudeness?             --Downton Abbey

ladyknight1

« Reply #2006 on: November 19, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
I know there is a camp in the woods a few blocks from the area I see the homeless woman and dog. What I don't understand is why much of our homeless live so far away from the shelters and kitchens that serve them. I try to give food and drink, not money.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

gramma dishes

« Reply #2007 on: November 19, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »

Without getting into a lot of politics: I read a book years ago by a man who had been homeless for a while, about those years of his life. He had a dog with him, and said that he and the dog took care of each other: a man sleeping on a park bench with a dog is safer than a man asleep by himself. At one point he was offered a one-month bed in a shelter, but would have had to give up the dog, with no guarantees for her safety, and a month later would have been back on the street alone. If I recall correctly, his would-be benefactor was surprised that he felt that protective toward his dog.

Sometimes the homeless really are homeless through absolutely no fault of their own.  Many feel disenfranchised and the situations that caused them to be homeless in the first place have also instilled a feeling of distrust concerning their fellow human beings.  They know that their dogs truly ARE their friends in every possible sense of the word.

My husband used to occasionally see a panhandler who would sit on the street between two flawlessly behaved dogs.  Neither of them ever moved from his side.  They didn't growl or bark or lunge at people.  If someone patted one of them, they would wag their tails a bit, but never left their owners side.  My husband said one time he saw someone give the guy a sandwich  and water in a large paper cup.  The man carefully tore the sandwich into three portions (removing the pickles) and gave one section to each dog and ate the other himself.  Then he drank from the paper cup and allowed the two dogs to finish drinking the water.

After that, if he had any small bills on him my husband always left the guy something.  He figured anyone who cared that much about his animals (and whose animals were so obviously devoted to him) deserved to be treated with respect for that reason alone.

Luci

« Reply #2008 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
I know there is a camp in the woods a few blocks from the area I see the homeless woman and dog. What I don't understand is why much of our homeless live so far away from the shelters and kitchens that serve them. I try to give food and drink, not money.

The homeless still want to feel some independence and control, and they sometimes feel somewhat dehumanised by some of the treatment in these shelters. Some feel they do not deserve the help or do not feel they can ever repay it. (But I don't know why they feel getting alms is not receiving help.) This I heard from a volunteer at a soup kitchen/shelter years ago.

The story above is a good example of that: dehumanised because they can't keep their true friends.

ladyknight1

« Reply #2009 on: November 19, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
O/T, but DH and I have a plan that should we come into a significant amount of money, we would start a family shelter as well as a singles shelter. With all the counseling and resources necessary to help people. That is rare in this state.
-J.R.R Tolkien