Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 605252 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2025 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
Did anyone watch the documentary with the Disneyland hotel kids?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2026 on: November 21, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
Just because it always works on TVů

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crimes/380858/bank-customer-turns-robber

(Note, a Thai Buddhist monk may not accept something directly from a woman, lest he accidentally touch her.)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

cwm

« Reply #2027 on: November 21, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
Got an email in one of the company shared inboxes today. The TO field and subject field were both blank.

DO YOU WISH TO BORROW MONEY IF YES SEND YOUR REPLY/INFO TO
pmorganchasecompanyloanfirm@gmail.com

The problems with this? Well, they're missing the J from JP Morgan Chase, first of all. Plus, I doubt that JPMC would ever use gmail as a company mail. Also, this shared inbox is shared with a financial institution!

WishUponAStar

« Reply #2028 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
After I went away to university, my mother was introduced by a friend to a woman with a genuine sob story. Her husband threw her out and wouldn't let her see their teenage daughter. From what I have heard, she lost custody of her daughter to her husband and lost her nursing job. I want to preface this by saying that I really do feel bad for her and the situation is awful. However, the woman is  extremely manipulative. My mother is too nice and so when this women would come by saying her daughter needed to use a printer for a school project or didn't have money for an art project, my mom would give it to her, because apparently the father was neglectful. It wasn't an exhorbitant amount of money, but it was enough to help. Meanwhile, the lady was sleeping at a shelter and trying to find work. Eventually, the requests grew in number to things such as more money or staying at our house despite my mother having health problems. She grew increasingly surly and rude when refused. Again, I understand that she was going through a lot, but still inappropriate. My dad put his foot down to her ever staying over or to more handouts, and eventually the woman moved across the country to live with her father.

This woman, who I'll call ''A,'' completely fell from my good graces after she called my mother (who has been recently hospitalized for a month's time) and asked that she use her daughter and her daughter's friend as nurses (when they were not qualified and were not even in nursing school) while she recovered from surgery. To top it all off, she demanded that they be allowed to live in my parents' home! My father and mother refused and this woman behaved very curtly toward my mother on the phone, which in turn caused some serious stress in a time that was supposed to be for recuperation. I believe she ended up calling a few times, crying or being rude and stressing my poor mother out because she wasn't getting her way.  >:( I was home from univeristy at the time and though I hate confrontation, I swore that if she called back when I was home I would say some very non-E-hell approved things. Who behaves that way toward an ill person?  :o  Thankfully, things tapered off. The only reminder of the woman was that A's suitcase was allowed to sit in our home because she had no place to store these belongings at the time. According to her, she was assisting her father and working as a nurse again and my mother would hear from her by phone every so often.

I left the country for a job over a year ago and returned for Christmas to find that the woman was also in town. She put a photograph of her own daughter next to one of me on the family mantle. I pointed it out to my mother later, who moved it, not having seen her do it. When I was out, this woman returned and put the photo back AGAIN. My mother moved it and politely explained that the mantle was for family members only. When my mother left the room, the woman put it back again. I nearly hit the roof.  My mother was storing some of this lady's belongings, had assisted her and her daughter, and here she was, not even listening to the most basic of requests. She was also back to asking for more money with the claim that her nursing job ''went away,'' but she didn't want to live with her father (for pride reasons) so she was back asking for more help. I never ended up running into her during the vacation, but I was very happy to hear that a few months later, when the woman moved back into town, my father showed her the door after she repeatedly made requests to sleep over despite being told that it would not be possible. From what I heard, every ''no'' was met with ''it would only be for a few days'' or ''I'm really quiet and would help out.'' Same goes with requests for more cash. ''I just need twenty dollars...''

Her daughter is probably around 20 now and living with a friend the last I heard, so I'm happy to hear she's not living with that father anymore.

Tia2

« Reply #2029 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »

Her daughter is probably around 20 now and living with a friend the last I heard, so I'm happy to hear she's not living with that father anymore.

I suspect there was nothing wrong with the father - it was all part of the manipulation.  I don't know if you meant that the father legally forbade her access or simply made it impossible for her to see the child (although I notice access miraculously restarted when this allowed her to try to get money from your parents) but usually for one parent to be cut off like this from a teenager, they would have to have done something fairly awful (I accept a custodial parent can block access with a younger child).

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2030 on: November 26, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »

I suspect there was nothing wrong with the father - it was all part of the manipulation.  I don't know if you meant that the father legally forbade her access or simply made it impossible for her to see the child (although I notice access miraculously restarted when this allowed her to try to get money from your parents) but usually for one parent to be cut off like this from a teenager, they would have to have done something fairly awful (I accept a custodial parent can block access with a younger child).

I had that thought, too.

On a whole other topic, I tried to find the stupid criminal thread (link anyone?) but failed, so I present to you: When hiring a contract killer, it's really best not to call your intended victim at the same time. Actually, I take that back. Please do call the intended victim. Makes it much easier to catch you quickly, and helps protect your target.
http://www.kait8.com/story/24068938/jpd-man-receives-accidental-phone-call-from-ex-boss-plotting-his-death?hpt=ju_bn5
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2031 on: November 26, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Regarding the link posted by Jedikaiti, the man shopping the murder contract was a car dealer and has admitted submitting falsified VIN numbers in order to scam money from finance companies.  Isn't that the plot to Fargo?  And we know how well that ended up.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2032 on: November 26, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
On a whole other topic, I tried to find the stupid criminal thread (link anyone?) but failed, so I present to you: When hiring a contract killer, it's really best not to call your intended victim at the same time. Actually, I take that back. Please do call the intended victim. Makes it much easier to catch you quickly, and helps protect your target.
http://www.kait8.com/story/24068938/jpd-man-receives-accidental-phone-call-from-ex-boss-plotting-his-death?hpt=ju_bn5

Pretty dumb hitman, too.

Hey, I want you to kill someone for me!

Why?

I owe him a bunch of money. Say, I'll give you a downpayment, and most of it after you finish.

Hmmm. OK, sounds like a deal!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2033 on: November 27, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »

Here is that link. http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130550.0;topicseen

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2034 on: November 27, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Regarding the link posted by Jedikaiti, the man shopping the murder contract was a car dealer and has admitted submitting falsified VIN numbers in order to scam money from finance companies.  Isn't that the plot to Fargo?  And we know how well that ended up.

LOL!  While I was reading the article, I thought to myself, "Did we learn NOTHING from Fargo?"

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #2035 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
Here's the one I got a few days ago:

To: undiscolosed-recipients

I am Chan Tao Soon, Chairman Audit Committee of UOB Bank, Singapore.  I have a Business Offer for you.

Yours,

Chan Tao Soon

Seems legit, right?<sarcasm>  I looked up the .hu email and it's Hungary.  Yeah......

Well, at least everything is spelled correctly.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2036 on: November 27, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »

Here is that link. http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130550.0;topicseen

Thanks!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Fi

« Reply #2037 on: December 09, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »
I had a great one last night.

Man stops me on the street, tells me he's just moved to my area that day and has locked himself out of his flat and needs money for the bus fare to get to his landlord's.

Respectably dressed, posh accent.

I have to say I took a certain amount of glee in declining him by saying "no, because you tried that line on me last week".

(He didn't get any money out of me that time either. "Bus fare" is a common scam where I live.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2038 on: December 09, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
That's hilarious Fi! Guess he needs to vary his lines.

Don't know if I mentioned this one, but someone tried a 'train fare' scam on some friends of mine years ago. He said he was stuck in Big City and couldn't get home to Far Town. The friends happened to live in Far Town ;D and offered him a ride, as well as asking him what street he lived on and whether he knew so-and-so, etc. They sad he couldn't back away fast enough. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Fi

« Reply #2039 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
He did vary his lines! Landlord had moved from Clapham to Finchley!