Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 607773 times)

Jules1980

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2160 on: January 07, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »
I don't know if this would considered a scam or something more sinister but the guy was trying to scam me for something.

When I was 18, working my first job, I had a flat tire on the way to work.  It was on a fairly busy highway, but at an off time, so while there were cars driving by, it wasn't just crazy or anything.  Anyway, I was waiting for the person I had called to arrive and some old guy in a pick-up stopped.  He came back to my car and told me he could fix my tire and get me back on the road.  Great.  Only one problem, he wanted me to get in his truck and run to his house with him to air the tire up because he didn't 'feel safe' leaving me on the side of a busy highway.  I kept telling him no but he wouldn't leave.  I was in my car with the windows up and the doors locked.  This was pre-cell phone days, so it was either stay in the car and hope he didn't break the window or jump out and try to make it to the business a few yards away.

Thankfully a friend of my brother's came by and stopped in his tow truck.  He had recognized the car from when my brother drove it.  He got out and saw the man and me frantically motioning for him to leave.  So he got a tire iron off the back of his truck and started towards the guy, yelling, asking him what he was doing.  The man took off to his truck and sped off.

My brother's friend fixed my tire and followed on to my job in case the guy was just waiting further up the road. 

I always wondered if I should have called the law or if the guy was really a nice but clueless old man.  Better safe than sorry, though.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2161 on: January 08, 2014, 07:27:54 AM »
I love time ago when I lived in Big City (well, it was big to me! I grew up in a tiny town of 4,000), there was an ongoing scam where a guy would roam the highway just south of Big City.  If anyone's car died (and they did, frequently), he'd drive up like a concerned citizen and offer to help, being a mechanic himself (liar liar pants on fire!).   Then he'd say that the car was totally trashed and he'd be happy to take it off their hands for Very Low Price.   I don't know how many times he scored a decent car that way, but fortunately, I never saw him.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2162 on: January 09, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
Apparently, the theme of scammers this week is "hook 'em with mystery".

My first e-mail of the day:

Seasonal Greetings,
 Wishing you and the family a fresh start in the Year 2014. I am, Marcolin Ernst, Pardon my unannounced email correspondence to you. I have issues to communicate with you as regards findings here at my work environment, but i need to know if this is the best medium to communicate with you. Should you request that we speak on phone, then it is best to let me know, However, I would expect a statement from you soonest.
I hope to read from you soon,

Cheers and Have a Nice Day,
Yours Faithfully,
Marcolin

Hmmm, what could a person I don't know have found in his "work environment" that would be of interest to me? I don't think I'll follow up, though. I hate dealing with people who have issues. By the way, is Marcolin Ernst, Pardon some sort of European title? Is a Pardon above or below an Esquire? I can never remember.

My second is even shorter and sweeter:

Hello.
I contacted you some days ago with regards a discreet business asset available to me at my bank and directly concerning you. Please confirm if you received my last message with the details.

DID YOU ?

NO I DIDN'T. But I suspect that last message never really existed.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2163 on: January 09, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
Jules1980 wrote:

"I kept telling him no but he wouldn't leave.  I was in my car with the windows up and the doors locked.  This was pre-cell phone days, so it was either stay in the car and hope he didn't break the window or jump out and try to make it to the business a few yards away...I always wondered if I should have called the law or if the guy was really a nice but clueless old man."

You should have called law enforcement.  Asking you to leave the scene with him, refusing to leave even after you asked, and then running off when someone else showed up are all good indicators of a setup for foul play.  As my PSA for the day, please always remember that a car with a flat tire can still move.  If you ever find yourself in this sort of situation, just drive the car to the nearest safe location, no matter the distance.  It's much better to bend a rim than to subject yourself to danger, whether it's from someone like this man or being in a position to get hit by passing traffic.

Virg

Teenyweeny

« Reply #2164 on: January 09, 2014, 10:18:29 AM »
I don't know if this would considered a scam or something more sinister but the guy was trying to scam me for something.

When I was 18, working my first job, I had a flat tire on the way to work.  It was on a fairly busy highway, but at an off time, so while there were cars driving by, it wasn't just crazy or anything.  Anyway, I was waiting for the person I had called to arrive and some old guy in a pick-up stopped.  He came back to my car and told me he could fix my tire and get me back on the road.  Great.  Only one problem, he wanted me to get in his truck and run to his house with him to air the tire up because he didn't 'feel safe' leaving me on the side of a busy highway.  I kept telling him no but he wouldn't leave.  I was in my car with the windows up and the doors locked.  This was pre-cell phone days, so it was either stay in the car and hope he didn't break the window or jump out and try to make it to the business a few yards away.

Thankfully a friend of my brother's came by and stopped in his tow truck.  He had recognized the car from when my brother drove it.  He got out and saw the man and me frantically motioning for him to leave.  So he got a tire iron off the back of his truck and started towards the guy, yelling, asking him what he was doing.  The man took off to his truck and sped off.

My brother's friend fixed my tire and followed on to my job in case the guy was just waiting further up the road. 

I always wondered if I should have called the law or if the guy was really a nice but clueless old man.  Better safe than sorry, though.

I just shivered! Yeah, he was up to something BAD.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2165 on: January 09, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
Jules1980 wrote:

"I kept telling him no but he wouldn't leave.  I was in my car with the windows up and the doors locked.  This was pre-cell phone days, so it was either stay in the car and hope he didn't break the window or jump out and try to make it to the business a few yards away...I always wondered if I should have called the law or if the guy was really a nice but clueless old man."

You should have called law enforcement.  Asking you to leave the scene with him, refusing to leave even after you asked, and then running off when someone else showed up are all good indicators of a setup for foul play.  As my PSA for the day, please always remember that a car with a flat tire can still move.  If you ever find yourself in this sort of situation, just drive the car to the nearest safe location, no matter the distance.  It's much better to bend a rim than to subject yourself to danger, whether it's from someone like this man or being in a position to get hit by passing traffic.

Virg

The poster mentioned they did not have a mobile phone. She would have had to leave the car in order to get to a phone.

BarensMom

« Reply #2166 on: January 09, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »
I love time ago when I lived in Big City (well, it was big to me! I grew up in a tiny town of 4,000), there was an ongoing scam where a guy would roam the highway just south of Big City.  If anyone's car died (and they did, frequently), he'd drive up like a concerned citizen and offer to help, being a mechanic himself (liar liar pants on fire!).   Then he'd say that the car was totally trashed and he'd be happy to take it off their hands for Very Low Price.   I don't know how many times he scored a decent car that way, but fortunately, I never saw him.

Another old scam that my father would run up against is where a "good samaritan" would offer to help, then charge $100 or more to help change a tire, refill a radiator with water that he just happened to have on hand, etc. 

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #2167 on: January 09, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
Another scam e-mail (my day isn't complete unless I get one of these LOL):

I wish to notify you that Late Mr. Asraf made you a beneficiary of his Will. He left the sum of Six Million, One Hundred Thousand Euros (6, 100,000.00) to you in the Codicil and last testament to his Will. This may sound strange and unbelievable to you, you are advised to contact Barrister Vincent Getty via email which is below for more information;

Yours in Service,
Jessica

Wow, so many total strangers include me in their wills. Am I lucky or what?  ::)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2168 on: January 09, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
Any one heard of the fake monk scams?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-fair-trading-issues-warning-over-bogus-buddhist-monk-scam-20140108-30hxk.html

Some of them are rather pushy, having an EFTPOS machine on them or making you go to an ATM. I actually got scammed by one once b only gave him fifty cents. My mum says I got scammed.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2169 on: January 09, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
I don't remember if I told this story.  Not too long ago a young man came to my front door and asked for a donation for the local art school.  Because of the way he was talking I knew he wasn't from the art school (When I asked him what he was studying he said, "Art." Right.) so I said I wasn't interested.  He then tried to guilt me into a donation, and I again said I wasn't interested, and he snapped, "I heard you the first time!"  That was when I told him to leave my property, which he did.  Mr. Sirius was home, and he said he was all set to come out and tell the guy to leave, but I seemed to be handling it just fine. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2170 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:06 AM »
Any one heard of the fake monk scams?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-fair-trading-issues-warning-over-bogus-buddhist-monk-scam-20140108-30hxk.html

Some of them are rather pushy, having an EFTPOS machine on them or making you go to an ATM. I actually got scammed by one once b only gave him fifty cents. My mum says I got scammed.

Yes- over twenty years ago! I was in my teens.
NE England

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2171 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
ladyknight1 wrote:

"The poster mentioned they did not have a mobile phone. She would have had to leave the car in order to get to a phone."

I meant that she should have called law enforcement to report him whenever she was near a phone, not necessarily at the time of the incident.

Virg

cwm

« Reply #2172 on: January 10, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »
I got a great email today that somehow made it past gmail's spam filters. The subject just said HI.

I donated some money for you contact me for details :(email redacted)

That's it. That's the whole email. Um, okay, but if you donated money to me, why do I need to contact you?

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #2173 on: January 11, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
I saw this picture on Facebook today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=471033306251879&set=a.128336090521604.15846.116534648368415&type=1

I don't think it would ward off the persistent door-to-door people, but it would make me smile whenever I saw it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2174 on: January 13, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
Not sure if anyone's seen this, but the hoax has done the rounds on my FB feed recently. If you see this image of "Mallory", know that's it's been stolen from her mothers blog and us brung used without permission.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/facebook-stole-my-disabled-daughters-identity/story-e6frfrnr-1226503776416