News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 03:09:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2253694 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2160 on: January 09, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »
Any one heard of the fake monk scams?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-fair-trading-issues-warning-over-bogus-buddhist-monk-scam-20140108-30hxk.html

Some of them are rather pushy, having an EFTPOS machine on them or making you go to an ATM. I actually got scammed by one once b only gave him fifty cents. My mum says I got scammed.

Sirius

« Reply #2161 on: January 09, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
I don't remember if I told this story.  Not too long ago a young man came to my front door and asked for a donation for the local art school.  Because of the way he was talking I knew he wasn't from the art school (When I asked him what he was studying he said, "Art." Right.) so I said I wasn't interested.  He then tried to guilt me into a donation, and I again said I wasn't interested, and he snapped, "I heard you the first time!"  That was when I told him to leave my property, which he did.  Mr. Sirius was home, and he said he was all set to come out and tell the guy to leave, but I seemed to be handling it just fine. 

mechtilde

« Reply #2162 on: January 10, 2014, 03:18:06 AM »
Any one heard of the fake monk scams?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-fair-trading-issues-warning-over-bogus-buddhist-monk-scam-20140108-30hxk.html

Some of them are rather pushy, having an EFTPOS machine on them or making you go to an ATM. I actually got scammed by one once b only gave him fifty cents. My mum says I got scammed.

Yes- over twenty years ago! I was in my teens.
NE England

Virg

« Reply #2163 on: January 10, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
ladyknight1 wrote:

"The poster mentioned they did not have a mobile phone. She would have had to leave the car in order to get to a phone."

I meant that she should have called law enforcement to report him whenever she was near a phone, not necessarily at the time of the incident.

Virg

cwm

« Reply #2164 on: January 10, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
I got a great email today that somehow made it past gmail's spam filters. The subject just said HI.

I donated some money for you contact me for details :(email redacted)

That's it. That's the whole email. Um, okay, but if you donated money to me, why do I need to contact you?

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #2165 on: January 11, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »
I saw this picture on Facebook today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=471033306251879&set=a.128336090521604.15846.116534648368415&type=1

I don't think it would ward off the persistent door-to-door people, but it would make me smile whenever I saw it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2166 on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:38 AM »
Not sure if anyone's seen this, but the hoax has done the rounds on my FB feed recently. If you see this image of "Mallory", know that's it's been stolen from her mothers blog and us brung used without permission.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/facebook-stole-my-disabled-daughters-identity/story-e6frfrnr-1226503776416

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2167 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
I've seen that before.  Which reminds me, a friend just "liked" a post last night that was Walt Disney World offering free tickets, to be given out to a random pick of those who had "liked" the page.  Only it wasn't actually "Walt Disney World," it was "Walt Disney World." (notice the period).  Plus, if you clicked on it, you'd notice that "Walt Disney World.'s" website only had 650 likes.  Whereas the real WDW FB page has something like 11 million likes.  I'm guessing it's a "like" farming site, but I don't know exactly the purpose, just that there *is* some sort of scam.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

ACBNYC

« Reply #2168 on: January 13, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »
I've seen that before.  Which reminds me, a friend just "liked" a post last night that was Walt Disney World offering free tickets, to be given out to a random pick of those who had "liked" the page.  Only it wasn't actually "Walt Disney World," it was "Walt Disney World." (notice the period).  Plus, if you clicked on it, you'd notice that "Walt Disney World.'s" website only had 650 likes.  Whereas the real WDW FB page has something like 11 million likes.  I'm guessing it's a "like" farming site, but I don't know exactly the purpose, just that there *is* some sort of scam.

I've seen a few of these (Carnival Cruise Lines recently). Both Carnival and Disney fake pages had JUST been created. The owners create fake pages to get as many likes and shares as possible, which increases the value of the page, and they will either make money by having ads placed on the page (legal) or selling the page (against Facebook's TOS). Sharing and liking won't do anything harmful, but obviously don't click on strange links as it could be malware.

jaxsue

« Reply #2169 on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:46 AM »
My sister is quite intelligent (has a master's degree, teaches at a university), but somehow that doesn't translate into common-sense intelligence. A couple of years ago she sent out a mass email about Bill Gates giving everyone who went to a site several hundred dollars. It was easy to refute that via Snopes, but she still thought it was legit. *sigh*

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2170 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »

I've seen a few of these (Carnival Cruise Lines recently). Both Carnival and Disney fake pages had JUST been created. The owners create fake pages to get as many likes and shares as possible, which increases the value of the page, and they will either make money by having ads placed on the page (legal) or selling the page (against Facebook's TOS). Sharing and liking won't do anything harmful, but obviously don't click on strange links as it could be malware.

I hate those - I tried to find the REAL FB page for an airline and couldn't because there were too many bogus pages with the period in the name!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2171 on: January 13, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »

I hate those - I tried to find the REAL FB page for an airline and couldn't because there were too many bogus pages with the period in the name!

Go to the airline website and click the social media links from there. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2172 on: January 16, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
Go on vacation, board your dog, get burgled. Worker at dog boarding place gave her boyfriend customers' addresses, so he could go biurgle homes while the owners were on vacation. Vacationers who left dogs at PetSmart burglarized

We once had something similar at my office building. Many people traveled on business. In those pre-computer days, it was common for staff to note trips on a wall or desk calendar.  A janitor who worked nights would take down the name of the employee and the travel dates, and sell the information to ne'er-do-wells. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

« Reply #2173 on: January 17, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
The notification to appear in court scam was covered on the local news last night.  That should help things a little. 

MrTango

« Reply #2174 on: January 17, 2014, 11:23:27 AM »
I got an email supposedly from Target today.  It contains what claims to be an apology from Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel about the recent data breach.  There's a sentence saying: "I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone numbe, or email address may have been taken during the intrusion."

It looks very good, and I didn't even notice any spelling or grammar errors in the message.  How do I know it's fake?  I received it at an email address that I never, ever give out to businesses (it's strictly family/friends only, and I have another Gmail address that I use for business/receipts/etc.)