Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 656734 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2175 on: January 13, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »
I've seen that before.  Which reminds me, a friend just "liked" a post last night that was Walt Disney World offering free tickets, to be given out to a random pick of those who had "liked" the page.  Only it wasn't actually "Walt Disney World," it was "Walt Disney World." (notice the period).  Plus, if you clicked on it, you'd notice that "Walt Disney World.'s" website only had 650 likes.  Whereas the real WDW FB page has something like 11 million likes.  I'm guessing it's a "like" farming site, but I don't know exactly the purpose, just that there *is* some sort of scam.

ACBNYC

« Reply #2176 on: January 13, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
I've seen that before.  Which reminds me, a friend just "liked" a post last night that was Walt Disney World offering free tickets, to be given out to a random pick of those who had "liked" the page.  Only it wasn't actually "Walt Disney World," it was "Walt Disney World." (notice the period).  Plus, if you clicked on it, you'd notice that "Walt Disney World.'s" website only had 650 likes.  Whereas the real WDW FB page has something like 11 million likes.  I'm guessing it's a "like" farming site, but I don't know exactly the purpose, just that there *is* some sort of scam.

I've seen a few of these (Carnival Cruise Lines recently). Both Carnival and Disney fake pages had JUST been created. The owners create fake pages to get as many likes and shares as possible, which increases the value of the page, and they will either make money by having ads placed on the page (legal) or selling the page (against Facebook's TOS). Sharing and liking won't do anything harmful, but obviously don't click on strange links as it could be malware.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2177 on: January 13, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
My sister is quite intelligent (has a master's degree, teaches at a university), but somehow that doesn't translate into common-sense intelligence. A couple of years ago she sent out a mass email about Bill Gates giving everyone who went to a site several hundred dollars. It was easy to refute that via Snopes, but she still thought it was legit. *sigh*

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2178 on: January 13, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »

I've seen a few of these (Carnival Cruise Lines recently). Both Carnival and Disney fake pages had JUST been created. The owners create fake pages to get as many likes and shares as possible, which increases the value of the page, and they will either make money by having ads placed on the page (legal) or selling the page (against Facebook's TOS). Sharing and liking won't do anything harmful, but obviously don't click on strange links as it could be malware.

I hate those - I tried to find the REAL FB page for an airline and couldn't because there were too many bogus pages with the period in the name!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2179 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »

I hate those - I tried to find the REAL FB page for an airline and couldn't because there were too many bogus pages with the period in the name!

Go to the airline website and click the social media links from there. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2180 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »
Go on vacation, board your dog, get burgled. Worker at dog boarding place gave her boyfriend customers' addresses, so he could go biurgle homes while the owners were on vacation. Vacationers who left dogs at PetSmart burglarized

We once had something similar at my office building. Many people traveled on business. In those pre-computer days, it was common for staff to note trips on a wall or desk calendar.  A janitor who worked nights would take down the name of the employee and the travel dates, and sell the information to ne'er-do-wells. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2181 on: January 17, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
The notification to appear in court scam was covered on the local news last night.  That should help things a little. 

MrTango

« Reply #2182 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
I got an email supposedly from Target today.  It contains what claims to be an apology from Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel about the recent data breach.  There's a sentence saying: "I am writing to make you aware that your name, mailing address, phone numbe, or email address may have been taken during the intrusion."

It looks very good, and I didn't even notice any spelling or grammar errors in the message.  How do I know it's fake?  I received it at an email address that I never, ever give out to businesses (it's strictly family/friends only, and I have another Gmail address that I use for business/receipts/etc.)

jmarvellous

« Reply #2183 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
Mr Tango, I've gotten the Target email at multiple email addresses, too, and the address it's sent from looks fake, but I googled it, and it's on the Target website as an email address you should add to your trusted messages. This article explains it quite well (if no time to read: takeaway is targetnews@target.bfi0.com is actually legit): http://www.seattlepi.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Everyone-Thinks-This-Target-Email-Is-A-Scam-5150268.php

Friday

« Reply #2184 on: January 17, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
PM me if you have any concern about Target emails

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2185 on: January 17, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »
The cynical side of me wonders whether Target sent out a scammy-looking email on purpose.  Fewer people following the link --> fewer people signing up for the credit monitoring service --> fewer people Target has to pay for the service for.  And they still get the credit for being "so helpful" and "doing all they can about the breach."

ETA: Wow, literally as I was posting this I got this email.  Weird!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:05:42 PM by Slartibartfast »

MrTango

« Reply #2186 on: January 17, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
Mr Tango, I've gotten the Target email at multiple email addresses, too, and the address it's sent from looks fake, but I googled it, and it's on the Target website as an email address you should add to your trusted messages. This article explains it quite well (if no time to read: takeaway is targetnews@target.bfi0.com is actually legit): http://www.seattlepi.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Everyone-Thinks-This-Target-Email-Is-A-Scam-5150268.php

Interesting.  Even if that's the case, the email was received by the Gmail account I only use for communicating with friends & family, and that I never (and have never) used for "business" purposes.  I'm curious how the got ahold of that address, rather than the address I actually use when I order things from Target.com.

When I get home, I'll check my "business" email address to see if I got it there as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:12:42 PM by MrTango »

otterwoman

« Reply #2187 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:53 PM »

Interesting.  Even if that's the case, the email was received by the Gmail account I only use for communicating with friends & family, and that I never (and have never) used for "business" purposes.  I'm curious how the got ahold of that address, rather than the address I actually use when I order things from Target.com.

When I get home, I'll check my "business" email address to see if I got it there as well.

Something to consider is that scam emails tend to have a link for you to click on. The Target email I received has no links. They want you to type the address into your browser yourself.

MerryCat

« Reply #2188 on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
My first contribution to this thread! I ran into a guy at the LRT station who offered me a real, genuine, 4 carat diamond for only $50!

Weird thing is, I actually felt kind of bad about turning him down, even though I'm pretty sure his hungry baby at home is fictitious.

Friday

« Reply #2189 on: January 17, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »
The official Target email has no links.  It won't ever.  If you have an email from "Target" with links, or misspellings, it is NOT authentic.  That is 100% certain.