Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 710582 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2190 on: January 17, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
You know, I need to remember to tell my kids this when they're fighting me about having to learn to spell.  If you don't learn to spell well, your emails will all look like spam!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2191 on: January 17, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
You know, I need to remember to tell my kids this when they're fighting me about having to learn to spell.  If you don't learn to spell well, your emails will all look like spam!

Then they will tell you that "Okay, we can just text!!  Nothing is spelled right when you text!"   ;D

MrTango

« Reply #2192 on: January 17, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »
Mr Tango, I've gotten the Target email at multiple email addresses, too, and the address it's sent from looks fake, but I googled it, and it's on the Target website as an email address you should add to your trusted messages. This article explains it quite well (if no time to read: takeaway is targetnews@target.bfi0.com is actually legit): http://www.seattlepi.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Everyone-Thinks-This-Target-Email-Is-A-Scam-5150268.php

Interesting.  Even if that's the case, the email was received by the Gmail account I only use for communicating with friends & family, and that I never (and have never) used for "business" purposes.  I'm curious how the got ahold of that address, rather than the address I actually use when I order things from Target.com.

When I get home, I'll check my "business" email address to see if I got it there as well.

Something to consider is that scam emails tend to have a link for you to click on. The Target email I received has no links. They want you to type the address into your browser yourself.

I checked it again, and there are indeed no links.  I guess it's not a "scam."  Given the address it was sent to, it's still "spam."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:14:51 PM by MrTango »

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #2193 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »
My mother was almost taken in by the Grandchild scam yesterday. She got a phone call from "her Granddaughter" being stranded in New York after attending a funeral and something about her car and driving.

She really had my mother going and believing her. My mother made my father leave his golf game so he could come home and help to send the money. But then she realized that the grandchild would only be 14 years old and would never be in New York alone or driving. She called my brother, his wife, and both of the grandchildren of that family's cell phones. Of course it was all a scam.

Now the good news is my Mother likes to talk, has many friends, and will tell all her friends everything. So hopefully everyone at her Church, clubs, work, etc, will hear all about it and will know now not to fall for this one.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2194 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »
I'm a member of a homeschooling message board, and somebody actually created an account so he could post this:

Hello i am good VENDOR of dumps...
Introducing to the General Public, Our Track 1 and 2 Dumps Service!
First hand stuff with good balance!!
Available Now.
Largest,Freshest bases ever!!! ( World Wide Visa/Mc/Amex/Disco)
Superior Customer service
Greatest Service of Bin Consultation for your area!
Fair Prices, Fair replacement service, and Great Product!
 i give test to people i can trust.... i also sell ccv and i
dont sell things that are lies like wu transfer.... i have track 1&2 for US,CA,many EU and ASIA
dumps....for all those who do not trust can buy of my stuff and test first... if they are
impressed then they can order many... I accep only WMZ and WU and moneygram
contact me if you want us to talk business.... i can also deal on %% if i trust you....
contact me for price list
Icq support: 693153737
Yahoo Id: darkrain781
24/7/365
Only Serious Buyers
Contact Now!!

I can't even figure out what the dude is selling.  Dumps?  Like... computer dumps?  It sort of sounds like somebody took all the interesting advertising phrases they could find and just stuck them together.  And the "freshest bases" thing makes me think of "all your base are belong to us."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2195 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:32 AM »
I'm a member of a homeschooling message board, and somebody actually created an account so he could post this:

Hello i am good VENDOR of dumps...
Introducing to the General Public, Our Track 1 and 2 Dumps Service!
First hand stuff with good balance!!
Available Now.
Largest,Freshest bases ever!!! ( World Wide Visa/Mc/Amex/Disco)
Superior Customer service
Greatest Service of Bin Consultation for your area!
Fair Prices, Fair replacement service, and Great Product!
 i give test to people i can trust.... i also sell ccv and i
dont sell things that are lies like wu transfer.... i have track 1&2 for US,CA,many EU and ASIA
dumps....for all those who do not trust can buy of my stuff and test first... if they are
impressed then they can order many... I accep only WMZ and WU and moneygram
contact me if you want us to talk business.... i can also deal on %% if i trust you....
contact me for price list
Icq support: 693153737
Yahoo Id: darkrain781
24/7/365
Only Serious Buyers
Contact Now!!

I can't even figure out what the dude is selling.  Dumps?  Like... computer dumps?  It sort of sounds like somebody took all the interesting advertising phrases they could find and just stuck them together.  And the "freshest bases" thing makes me think of "all your base are belong to us."

Report this immediately.  This guy is selling stolen credit card and identity information

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2196 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:35 AM »
Yes, that is credit card data, freshly dumped from whatever source it came from--say, Target transactions. "i also sell ccv " means that he's selling that 3-digit code that appears on the back of a credit card.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2197 on: January 20, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
I reported his post to the homeschool boards and got it removed, but are you saying I should report it to somebody else?  If so, who?  Yahoo, since he gives his yahoo sn?

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #2198 on: January 20, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
I would think law enforcement would be interested.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2199 on: January 20, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
He's been posting on all sorts of internet forums since the beginning of the year, so has no doubt been reported all over the place.

It's quite likely that he isn't a real credit card seller, but rather a scam artist. He may be paying teenagers a pittance to register & post on forums. That's a common spam tactic, although more common for slightly more legitimate products, such as drugs for manly men. If you actually contact him and try to buy something, he'll demand money up front via Western Union and you'll never hear form him again. Who do you complain to that you never got your stolen credit cards?

The real credit card thieves have much more clandestine ways of offering wares and use other payment systems.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2200 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
I reported his post to the homeschool boards and got it removed, but are you saying I should report it to somebody else?  If so, who?  Yahoo, since he gives his yahoo sn?

The FBI

http://www.fbi.gov/report-threats-and-crime

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2201 on: January 20, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

I believe the FBI has a way to submit tips via their website. If you let them know the content, screen name, date it appeared, and the boards info, they would likely be interested.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2202 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:36 PM »
Thanks!  I tried reporting it.  I probably won't know if it did any good, but at least I tried.  :)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2203 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2204 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
Not sure if anyone's seen this, but the hoax has done the rounds on my FB feed recently. If you see this image of "Mallory", know that's it's been stolen from her mothers blog and us brung used without permission.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/facebook-stole-my-disabled-daughters-identity/story-e6frfrnr-1226503776416
Only horrible people would do something like that. There was a worse one a while back were people were encouraged degrade and make fun of a young woman who was also disabled. FB did little to stop that one either.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future