News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 21, 2017, 03:57:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2022539 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2205 on: January 30, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
Here's a new one I got in my e-mail:

Eviction notice,

Hereby you are notified that you have to move to another
location from the currently occupied premises within
the next three weeks.

Please find the lawsuit details attached to this letter.

If you do not move within this period of time,
we will have no other alternative than to have you
physically removed from the property per order of the Judge.

If we can be of any assistance to you during your relocation,
please feel free to contact us any time.

Will someone help me move?  ::)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2206 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »

A rapper in LA wants me to come and be his PA! I'm sooooo excited!

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2207 on: January 30, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Next time they called I told them to take my name off their list.  They said they would.  They called back for my father (who had returned home by then.)  I told them to take HIM off their list as well.

It didn't stop them.  They sold our names (and my phone number) to other organizations who call for all kinds of cancer victims, the police and so on.
As soon as they go into their spiel, I just interrupt and say "I'm sorry, but we do not respond to any telephone solicitations at all.  But have a nice day." And I hang up without giving them a chance to reply.  The telephone is for YOUR convenience, something YOU pay for -- why let a telemarketer hold it hostage one second longer than necessary?
I have a friend who runs a charity. I just tell them that I will be donating to her instead. I know that every cent I donate goes to the kids in need, not to the staff. (as there aren't any paid staff).

Victoria

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2208 on: January 30, 2014, 07:17:24 PM »
DH and I volunteer to raise money for charity as part of the 501st. So we feel a bit better about saying no.

I also dislike solicitations for ongoing donation.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2209 on: January 30, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
I got a call from the political party that we sort of align with, but strongly disagree with the direction they've been going lately.  They called to ask for a donation.  I had *so* much fun telling them exactly how I thought they were going wrong and why we wouldn't be donating until they fixed it.  Just kept talking right over the telemarketer, then hung up when I was done.  Doubt it will do anything, although you never know (they record the calls), but it felt good.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14

BB-VA

« Reply #2210 on: January 31, 2014, 04:48:59 AM »
Next time they called I told them to take my name off their list.  They said they would.  They called back for my father (who had returned home by then.)  I told them to take HIM off their list as well.

It didn't stop them.  They sold our names (and my phone number) to other organizations who call for all kinds of cancer victims, the police and so on.
As soon as they go into their spiel, I just interrupt and say "I'm sorry, but we do not respond to any telephone solicitations at all.  But have a nice day." And I hang up without giving them a chance to reply.  The telephone is for YOUR convenience, something YOU pay for -- why let a telemarketer hold it hostage one second longer than necessary?

I do the same, but I also throw in "This number is on the federal Do Not Call list.  Please do not call again as you will be subject to a $100 fine."  Seems to have worked so far....
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Runningstar

« Reply #2211 on: January 31, 2014, 05:31:15 AM »
There are so many panhandlers out on the streets at many traffic lights where you have to wait a long time for the light to turn green.  They all carry foldable cardboard signs that say homeless, or will work for food/hungry, etc.  They then walk down the line of traffic with sad faces asking for handouts.  It isn't that I am against helping someone out, but that they are there everyday and I am very suspicious that they are just scammers.  One intersection has a panhandler in each direction and so I pass by them twice.  They keep an eye out for police and quickly fold their sign when they spot police.  On my way to and from appointments I now pass up to six a day.

KarenK

« Reply #2212 on: January 31, 2014, 06:06:48 AM »
There are so many panhandlers out on the streets at many traffic lights where you have to wait a long time for the light to turn green.  They all carry foldable cardboard signs that say homeless, or will work for food/hungry, etc.  They then walk down the line of traffic with sad faces asking for handouts.  It isn't that I am against helping someone out, but that they are there everyday and I am very suspicious that they are just scammers.  One intersection has a panhandler in each direction and so I pass by them twice.  They keep an eye out for police and quickly fold their sign when they spot police.  On my way to and from appointments I now pass up to six a day.

People panhandling in the median has been a big problem in my area. So much so that BigCity has passed an ordinance against loitering in the median, citing safety considerations. It's being challenged in the courts by local homeless advocates.

Something else I've seen around lately: Young men, standing in the median, asking for donations for the local children's hospital. The donation cans do have the logo of the hospital on them, but that's easy enough to get off the internet. It may be completely legit, but I question if it's a good way to raise money. I suspect it's another one of those "10 cents for every dollar raised goes to the cause" groups.

o_gal

« Reply #2213 on: January 31, 2014, 06:48:55 AM »

There's a traffic light near my work where I swear the panhandlers have a rotating schedule. You'll see one of them one day, then the next day or later that same day there'll be another one, then maybe another one the next day, then you'll see the original guy/woman back again the next day. On one corner of the intersection, there's a steep dropoff after the guard rail. There is a bag of old, junky, homeless-looking clothes lying there. We joke that they must coordinate their schedules and arrive early in the morning so they can change out of their regular clothes into the "homeless" clothes.

sarahj21

« Reply #2214 on: January 31, 2014, 07:02:39 AM »

I do the same, but I also throw in "This number is on the federal Do Not Call list.  Please do not call again as you will be subject to a $100 fine."  Seems to have worked so far....

We're on the Do Not Call list, but in Australia, charities and other organisations (government/religious/etc) can still call people on the list. I do tell charities that we don't donate over the phone and to stop calling, but they're allowed to call us again. :(

Also we've had a few of those "there is a virus on your Microsoft computer" phone calls. I told the last guy not to call back and they haven't since then, a few weeks ago. Time will tell I guess.

Runningstar

« Reply #2215 on: January 31, 2014, 07:56:37 AM »

There's a traffic light near my work where I swear the panhandlers have a rotating schedule. You'll see one of them one day, then the next day or later that same day there'll be another one, then maybe another one the next day, then you'll see the original guy/woman back again the next day. On one corner of the intersection, there's a steep dropoff after the guard rail. There is a bag of old, junky, homeless-looking clothes lying there. We joke that they must coordinate their schedules and arrive early in the morning so they can change out of their regular clothes into the "homeless" clothes.
Ha!  We joke that they make more money than we do as their jeans and boots are expensive brands.  They sure haven't slept outside and even look fresh and clean - hard to do when you are "homeless".

Teenyweeny

« Reply #2216 on: January 31, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »

Ha!  We joke that they make more money than we do as their jeans and boots are expensive brands.  They sure haven't slept outside and even look fresh and clean - hard to do when you are "homeless".

Well, you can get brand name goods from all kinds of places. Just off the top of my head:

1) Thrift store (I have quite a few high end pieces from charity shops).
2) Gift or donation.
3) The item is old and was bought before the person fell on hard times.
4) It's a knockoff.
5) They stole it.

It certainly doesn't mean that they aren't in difficulty. And as for the cleanliness thing, would you be dirty if you were homeless? Or would you find somewhere to wash? A supermarket bathroom maybe? Would you take a couple of pounds and go to the laundrette? I would, even if I was begging for the money.

In addition, most homeless people don't sleep outside. That's a myth. They sleep in temporary accomodation, like shelters, or churches, or tents, or vehicles. If I were homeless, I'd find the warmest, driest, safest place I could to sleep. Wouldn't you?

I'm not saying that every beggar is 100% legit, but I think that this idea of beggars who actually like the lifestyle, and who live in huge houses with all the latest gadgets is a total myth.

I challenge anybody who has a nice house and a good job to quit their job and go begging for a living. There's a reason you wouldn't.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2217 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »
Agree with teenyweeny.

Also puts a finger on why this line of discussion makes me feel really uncomfortable - because I don't think you (general you) can really assess someone's homelessness or level of need based on how someone looks.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2218 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

I'm not saying that every beggar is 100% legit, but I think that this idea of beggars who actually like the lifestyle, and who live in huge houses with all the latest gadgets is a total myth.

I challenge anybody who has a nice house and a good job to quit their job and go begging for a living. There's a reason you wouldn't.

There have been beggars who have been charged with fraud for telling people they are in need when they have a nice condo, fancy car, and the latest electronics. There seems to be another one pop up every couple of years or so.

That said, those people make it hard for someone who is living in their car and just wants money for a hot meal. I agree with Psychopoesie on that - it is hard to tell an individual's situation by their appearance. Scammers usually get caught by what they are doing, not what they are wearing.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

medowynd

« Reply #2219 on: January 31, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
There was an exit off a highway near my house that had a rotating shift of sign holders.  They kept a variety of cardboard signs in the bushes and rode their bicycles to the exit.  I saw the same group of 4-5 people for several months at that location.