Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 565708 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #2250 on: February 04, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
The other night, my doorbell rang, followed by loud knocking on the door.  I figured it was someone trying to sell something.  I got up, looked out the little diamond to make sure and didn't answer the door.  I really didn't care if he saw me.  But to his credit, he didn't knock again; he just left.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #2251 on: February 04, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
I guess my story can go here.....

I was at OldestDD's and DSIL's house last week ( watching the grandkids) until they got home from work. I never answer the home phone if I don't recognize the number.

The phone rang and rang and rang, the caller ID read an 800number. Then immediately another number came up on the ID with the first 6 numbers being a local number and the last 4 looking like YoungestDD's cell phone number. I answered and the caller mumbled something about speaking to Danny Parsley about some charges that he owes. I informed him that Danny had never even been to this residence let alone knowing where this residence is. And I hung up.

Side note to eHell....DD and Danny Parsley have been divorced for over 10 years.

I wish I had answered like I did just a little bit ago. Someone just called here at my home asking for OldestDD. I asked how did you get this number? The caller said that DD had written my name and phone number down as a contact number. I told her "No, goodbye" and hung up as the the caller was still talking.

MrTango

« Reply #2252 on: February 04, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »
Personally, my rule is that I will not identfy myself (or even acknowledge that I'm the person the caller has asked for) until the caller has first given their identity.

I've found that this actually significantly reduces the amount of time I spend on unwanted calls because I will simply hang up if they refuse (or even hesitate) to identify themselves.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2253 on: February 04, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »
If it is important, the caller will leave a message, so I never answer unless I want to accept the call, even at our children's homes when we are housesitting. If it sounds immediate, we do contact the child or grandchild to let him know about the message.

We haven't dealt with a telemarketer, politician, or charity in years because of caller ID.

The one exception was 10 years ago at my dad's home when he was ill then passed away.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2254 on: February 04, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
I answered and the caller mumbled something about speaking to Danny Parsley about some charges that he owes. I informed him that Danny had never even been to this residence let alone knowing where this residence is. And I hung up.

Side note to eHell....DD and Danny Parsley have been divorced for over 10 years.
Elfqueen was being pestered for a while by people trying to collect from her Ex-FIL, a man she'd only met once.  Same thing, she and Ex had been divorced for several years at that time, and she'd resumed her maiden name, so there was no telling how they connected her with him.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amara

« Reply #2255 on: February 04, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
WARNING: This was just posted on my city's local citizen website, Edhat. It is a warning from a subscriber about a new VISA/MASTERCARD fraud that is quite successful. Please read this, pass it on, and be very, very careful!

This is a heads up for everyone regarding the latest in Visa fraud. Royal Bank received this communication about the newest scam. This is happening in the Midwest right now and moving across the country.

This one is pretty slick, since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want. Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

The scam works like this:

Person calling says - "This is (name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460, your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti- Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?'

When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching, and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address). Is that correct?' You say 'yes'.

The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works - The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last 3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3 numbers to him.

After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?'

After you say no, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do', and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. We were glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the Scammer wants is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation.

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card, as they already know the information, since they issued the card! If you give the Scammer your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening. I dealt with a similar situation this morning, with the caller telling me that $3,097 had been charged to my account for plane tickets to Spain, and so on through the above routine.

It appears that this is a very active scam.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2256 on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
I wonder if these are the people now using the credit card numbers stolen by hackers from various large store chains over the last year or so....?

Like Target a month or so ago...and another large department store chain had the same thing happen since then.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2257 on: February 04, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
It also could be a skimmed card, my card got skimmed at an ATM once. But I got an email from my bank, and I actually thought it was a scam so I went online to look up the number to call them and not the one provided.

A CC company should know your card details anyway, and they should not ask you for them over the phone, not even the security number on the back. This why they have different ways of identifying you: name, date of birth, phone number, mothers maiden name.

The correct response to this call is to say: "I'd like to check my statement myself", then hang up and check your statement online or call the company yourself and check it. They can't charge it if you don't tell them!

Bobbie

« Reply #2258 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »
I was checking my junk mail for real mail before trashing and I found some very bad news......I am being evicted from my apartment.  The good news is I haven't lived in an apartment in 20 years so I think I am safe from this "eviction".  I have also won multiple prizes from Coca Cola and a Agent Rev Dr (I kid you not that was his title)  wanted to get hold of me urgently about a Western Union money transfer for 500,000,00 <--how it was typed.  My husband told me to negotiate for 1,000,000,00. >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2259 on: February 04, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
I have a friend who is ordained and has a Doctor of Divinity, he is Reverend Doctor First name Last name.

Michael's Arts and Crafts has now reported they had a credit card information data loss. I'm watching my account carefully.

doodlemor

« Reply #2260 on: February 04, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
I wonder if these are the people now using the credit card numbers stolen by hackers from various large store chains over the last year or so....?

Like Target a month or so ago...and another large department store chain had the same thing happen since then.

I wasted a lot of time yesterday, because I received something that I ordered from an Amazon market business in a Target box.  Anything to do with Target now makes me very suspicious.

I had ordered some things online with my grandson, to spend his birthday money, at the end of January.  We ordered from Amazon.com.  Yesterday something that we had ordered arrived, but it was from Target.com, and billed to a man in New Jersey.

I was immediately concerned with the strangeness of it all, and called Target.  The representative was hard to understand, and then we were [presumably] accidentally disconnected.  Then I called my credit card company, and that person set up a conference call with Target.  This time the Target rep immediately connected us to a supervisor.  After hearing the weird story, she said that this was an instance of "drop and ship," or something like that.  [I'm not sure 100% that I am remembering the term correctly, but the behavior is common enough to have a term of its own.]  Apparently some Amazon sellers sell things at a price slightly over retail.  Then they order them from a retail outlet, and have them shipped directly to the consumer.  Who knew?! 

The New Jersey guy used his Target card, so maybe he gets wonderful perks doing this.  I did check the address on google earth.  He lives in a lovely, middle class neighborhood in an attractive split level home.  I was concerned that somehow he was being scammed, until I heard the whole story.  O

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2261 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »
Amazon and Target are somehow connected.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2262 on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
Drop and ship means that the item was not shipped from Amazon but from the company that made it.

I've seen it frequently when I look at ordering sewing items.  I may order from Amazon or XYZ Sewing Supply House, but it will be shipped directly from Sew Fit (actual order) or Sewing Machine Company (hypothetical order).  This lets it go to your house directly from the manufacturer, reducing the amount of shipping costs and reducing the miles traveled, number of people handling it in transit, and the risk of it being damaged as it goes through  more hands & more transfers from one shipper to another.

My best guess is that either the supplier used a Target box that they had on hand or they had it shipped to your house from a Target store (but I would have expected that they paid for it using their funds that they got through Amazon - not using your credit card). 

It can't hurt to keep an eye on your credit card though...so many places are reporting that they've been hacked the last three or four months!  I've been checking more often since I got a phone call my first day on vacation (several hundred miles from home) that someone had used my debit card # (Texas address) in New York (store purchase under $10) while I was traveling through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and to get to where we were going to be for two weeks in Florida.

My card was cancelled by the issuer and a new one mailed to my home...where I got it when we got home 16 or 17 days later.  In the meantime, I was glad that we had more than one credit card account...as I was able to use a different card instead of the compromised & cancelled one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:55:29 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #2263 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »
I got one from Tony Blair this morning.  He loves the things I make at my business and if I send him bank details he will make a large order.  Trouble is: I doubt that Tony Blair works from a yahoo address, how has he heard about me in little old New Zealand, and lastly my business is a Homebased Early Childhood Education service, so although we have lots of children, I doubt they are for sale.  Still you never know.

Bobbie

« Reply #2264 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
I have a friend who is ordained and has a Doctor of Divinity, he is Reverend Doctor First name Last name.

Michael's Arts and Crafts has now reported they had a credit card information data loss. I'm watching my account carefully.

Yes, I have seen Rev Dr but Agent  ;D